• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2014 FB Recruiting Thread: Signing Day is this Wednesday!

All the best programs process kids. It doesn't seem to hurt their future recruiting one bit.

Not true. You can only have 25 kids enroll on scholarship from a freshman class each fall. Now, if you use less than 25 one year, you can make up the difference with "early enrollments" (whether that be kids graduating early or grayshirting) for the spring semester. But early enrollments count against the 25 limit in the event you had 25 in the prior year. All of those go up against the 85 scholarship limit.

For example, if Wake enrolls 20 in the fall of 2013, it can enroll 5 in the spring of 2014 and 25 in the fall of 2014. If Wake enrolls 25 in the fall of 2013, it can enroll 5 in the spring of 2014 and 20 in the fall of 2014. All of this presumes that the 50 scholarships handed out do not take Wake over the 85 scholly limit.

I stand corrected. Good info.

The 25 per year is designed to keep schools from bringing in a whole bunch of kids, keeping them for a year or two and then cutting a bunch of them loose to bring in another giant class. The kids who had their scholarships not renewed were usually pretty screwed. No scholarship to continue where they were, and as players, found to be "not good enough" and so difficult to find another school to take them as transfers and in many cases, not enough or not the right credits to transfer anywhere. If a school usually keeps kids 4 years, they need to sign ~21 per year (including greyshirts/midyear enrollees) if they red shirt, that is 17 per year.

I would like to see us get back into New Jersey/mid Atlantic area- excellent HS football, good education systems, lots of players and one in state D1 program. Most kids go out of state- we used to do very well there.

Clawson agrees. That's a big reason Dave Cohen was hired.

I would like to see us get back into New Jersey/mid Atlantic area- excellent HS football, good education systems, lots of players and one in state D1 program. Most kids go out of state- we used to do very well there.

When I was at Wake in the 70's it seemed like half the team were huge Jersey guys with handlebar mustaches and those big-ass trench coats with the wrap-around belts. Couldn't play football worth a damn, but were very proficient at foosball and quaffing pitchers at the Safari Room.

SCPrepNation.com ‏@SCPrepNation 1h
New Wake Forest coach Dave Clawson has already reached out to Byrnes WR Shaedon Meadors to show strong interest. A great fit/steal IMO.

I'll pass on no Div 1 offers kid and look for our most pressing need...DL.

Dave Cohen is supposedly an amazing recruiter going back to his days at Hofstra. Definitely will help us in the northeast. PSU, ND, and schools like Pitt have done really well in NJ in the past. I'd say it's a tier 2 high school football state behind florida/texas/ohio/california

I grew up in NJ. If you look at even big time ACC schools like Miami and FSU they all cherry-pick from NJ. MD has also done very well for years getting players to come down. I think Wake can and should make an effort to get in with good academic areas and schools that produce good talent.

I did as well. Every great player in my area seemed to go to PSU, Cuse, or BC.

Dave Cohen is supposedly an amazing recruiter going back to his days at Hofstra. Definitely will help us in the northeast. PSU, ND, and schools like Pitt have done really well in NJ in the past. I'd say it's a tier 2 high school football state behind florida/texas/ohio/california

Places like Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama, even Virginia, are Tier. 2. New Jersey is not in that tier.
North Carolina is probably better than New Jersey.
New Jersey definitely has some D1 talent, and should be worth our efforts, so the point stands. We might do well competing there vs states with more talent but more big programs near.

Places like Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama, even Virginia, are Tier. 2. New Jersey is not in that tier.
New Jersey definitely has some D1 talent, and should be worth our efforts, so the point stands. We might do well competing there vs states with more talent but more big programs near.

Ehhh idk I think Georgia is a Tier 1 state along with Ohio, Florida, Texas and Cal.

I hear ya, but in 2012 NJ had the 8th most NFL players in the league.

Back