• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2014 FB Recruiting Thread: Signing Day is this Wednesday!

Could mean neither, more of a "well we recruited this guy and he plays this position and we will honor it but we need to recruit someone else there because he won't cut it."

Agree. It could also be read as "maybe the system will need to be adapted to the recruits". But that probably wouldn't require all-nighter on the second day-type urgency.

could also be that he is a genuine nice guy and would be forthright with kids and tell them up front that they are not fits for his system. Just maybe he thinks of the kid's best interest and would communicate it as such so that they could make an informed decision on their school of choice

Another note about redshirting. The better players we get, the more likely they are to leave for the NFL after 3 years.

Actually, the more relevant issue is likely 4 years. Jon Abbate and Chris Givens, the two WF football players that declared early left after their 4th years. Unless you are an absolute freak, leaving after 3 years is pretty tough, but leaving after your 4th year, when most of your class graduates, is the more likely time for a WF recruit to go to the NFL early. If a player is good enough to test the NFL draft after 4 years, obviously red-shirting is a waste.

could also be that he is a genuine nice guy and would be forthright with kids and tell them up front that they are not fits for his system. Just maybe he thinks of the kid's best interest and would communicate it as such so that they could make an informed decision on their school of choice

I agree that this is the most likely intent

DE recruit Chris Knight has changed his last name to Stewart after his dad.

I don't think Uter will be a very hard decision for Clawson. Outside of Tyree, and maybe Crump, there are just not a lot of options at WR.

Love that we landed Uter, but you never know how a freshman is going to acclimate. It's premature to start guessing who is going to red-shirt and not. We will know more about our WR situation after the Spring. We shall see who stays and goes, but currently there are a lot of returning FL/WRs on the roster:

- Tyree Harris
- Jonathan Williams
- Jared Crump
- Matt James
- Airyn Willis
- Brandon Terry
- John Armstorng
- Orville Reynolds

not sure if this has been mentioned before but I was glancing at Gamecock message board and they were bummed that Zeke Rodney was going out of state. THen, the board insider mentioned that he was going to have trouble qualifying. Hope that is a sour grapes response and not a red flag about Rodney.

Love that we landed Uter, but you never know how a freshman is going to acclimate. It's premature to start guessing who is going to red-shirt and not. We will know more about our WR situation after the Spring. We shall see who stays and goes, but currently there are a lot of returning FL/WRs on the roster:

- Tyree Harris
- Jonathan Williams
- Jared Crump
- Matt James
- Airyn Willis
- Brandon Terry
- John Armstorng
- Orville Reynolds

At least one of those is moving to RB.

Actually, the more relevant issue is likely 4 years. Jon Abbate and Chris Givens, the two WF football players that declared early left after their 4th years. Unless you are an absolute freak, leaving after 3 years is pretty tough, but leaving after your 4th year, when most of your class graduates, is the more likely time for a WF recruit to go to the NFL early. If a player is good enough to test the NFL draft after 4 years, obviously red-shirting is a waste.

Sure, but a player can leave after 3 years and a true freshman leaving after 4 years is obviously not a big deal.

And Clawson is changing the definition of a "WF recruit" before your very eyes.

Pilch, there's no need for these posts where you "correct" me even though you agree with me. You could have said the exact same thing by posting, "Good point, Ph. It's probably more about 4 years for Wake players as was the case with Abbate and Givens."

not sure if this has been mentioned before but I was glancing at Gamecock message board and they were bummed that Zeke Rodney was going out of state. THen, the board insider mentioned that he was going to have trouble qualifying. Hope that is a sour grapes response and not a red flag about Rodney.

I think I read in an article where he said something along the lines of he spoke with someone and he is aware of what grades he needs to make in order to qualify.

- Tyree Harris
- Jonathan Williams
- Jared Crump
- Matt James
- Airyn Willis
- Brandon Terry
- John Armstorng
- Orville Reynolds

Yep we all thought if a frosh was gonna play last year it woulda been Wendell Dunn and he redshirted

Lot of talk about grades even well before he committed to Wake: http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=156988

Rodney mentioned in an interview just after his visit to Wake that he had to get some grades up pretty high this semester. Also said he will be taking "test" again to raise it "a couple of points." Red flag.

South Carolina talking about grades is humorous. Just when you need to laugh, there they are.

Frank Souza had to wait and hear from the clearing house before he enrolleed. Its a problem, but it can be solved.

Last edited:
Back