• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

Well yes and no. Mostly no. Mostly it's a lack of skill and not the fact that they played poorly.

Fair enough. We can find and develop DBs, but for some reason we can't get it done with the OL. But we'll be 128th until we do.

I haven't followed along that closely to the debate but can I vote for both a stud OL recruit and the rapid development of the current OL players?

Is 76 asserting that the OL v. VT and Duke wasn't improved from the o line that faced ULM? It seems that what we need is players and time.

Was the difference replacing Terry with Helms, Ford with Smith and/or Hayworth at guard. I agree the staff needs more time to play with different combinations. The players need to get stronger, more flexible, and quicker off the ball. Boulware is a piece of the puzzle, not the savior. Tabbacca has to come up with something. Another year of being #128 OL will make every other unit's hard work useless.

Rivals has a subscriber-only video with Kendall Hinton. I don't want to give away all of the details, but some key items are 1) he does not mention any other schools, 2) he will decide on early enrollment sometime later this week and 3) he is actively recruiting other players that Wake is after. Well worth checking out if you are a Rivals subscriber.

94 is the gift that keeps on giving. Thanks for the continued reports and keeping us informed on football recruiting! Exciting times. Our staff is working incredibly hard.

I hope 94 realizes what started as a personal hobby is now a mainstay of the boards and he's not allowed to stop without finding an adequate replacement.

Some quick notes this morning and then some details on a defensive line recruit that will be an official visitor in January:

The December contact period ended yesterday. Between now and January 15th there will be no official visits, in-home visits or in-person contact of any kind. Everything else appears to be fair game though. So recruiting news should slow but not stop.

WR/TE Tavin Richardson discussed his top 4 in order. Not surprisingly he had Kentucky first and Wake Forest fourth. I am still trying to find out if he will make an official visit to Wake. I continue to suspect that he will.

Rivals briefly mentioned Rocky Reid in an article about the Shrine Bowl. It said that he will take official visits to Georgia and Louisville in addition to Tennessee. The article did not mention Wake Forest at all. I am hopeful this was an inadvertent admission by a writer trying to gather a lot of info from a lot of recruits at the same time.

I read that JJ Arcega-Whiteside is getting anxious about the Stanford academic admissions process (Note: I am glad we are not the only team with challenges there). He is keeping in touch with other schools until that resolves itself.

I read that Quarvez Boulware lives with his grandparents and they live only a few miles from the Maryland campus. He said that is a big factor for him as it would be easier for his grandparents to see all of his games. They accompanied him on his official visit. I suspect they will come to Wake Forest in January as well. The fact that Maryland leads after his official visit there doesn’t surprise me. I like that Wake Forest will get the last official visit, just days before the end of the final contact period. Before that he will be at Alabama on 1/17. He is considering OVs to Florida (upside down right now because of new staff) and Miami. Sounds like UNC has been eliminated.

Finally a DL name to add the mini-Big Board. He was mentioned previously on this thread in late-October when he received an offer from Wake. One of only a few offers made to 2015 players since the end of May.

T.J. Smith (DE 6’3 / 255) – Colquitt County HS / Moultrie, GA
Ranking: 3-star (5.5)
Current Commitment: Vanderbilt
Other Power 5 Offers: Wake Forest, Arkansas, Mizzou and UNC
Background: Switched to football from basketball before his junior year, so has played only two seasons of HS football and is therefore still pretty raw. Long, agile DE-type did a lot of interior pass rushing this season in his HSs 3-4 defense. Arkansas and UNC are recruiting him as a 3-technique DT. UCF actually offered him as a TE. My guess is that Wake Forest would be recruiting him for the “drop-end” position that Ziggy Allen played last year, but it’s hard to tell given Smith’s versatility. Transferred to Colquitt before the season from North Stanly HS in North Carolina. Colquitt is a powerhouse that went 15-0 and won the Georgia 6A championship game in the Georgia Dome. Presumably they had a strong defense that kept Smith’s stats in check (15 tackles for loss, 4 sacks). High character, high academic kid (he has a 3.8 GPA and was offered by Dartmouth). Wants a “top-of-the-line” education. Does not want to redshirt.
Recruitment: Decommitted from Charlotte this fall after getting a number of Power 5 offers. Most of his Power 5 offers came in quick succession in late October after his senior season film starting circulating. Vanderbilt got the ball rolling (October 19) and UNC and Wake Forest both followed two days later. He committed to Vanderbilt just two weeks after receiving his offer. During the recent contact period it became clear that he was still talking to other schools. Mizzou offered after the start of the contact period. He had an in-home with UNC. Then he was quoted saying that he would take official visits to Wake Forest and Arkansas, as well as potentially Mizzou. He will also take his OV to Vanderbilt on January 16/17.

Why aren't we recruiting Bryce Love? Perhaps we were and were taken off his list. What a first half he had against Mallard Creek.

Why aren't we recruiting Bryce Love? Perhaps we were and were taken off his list. What a first half he had against Mallard Creek.

I think that the staff tried hard. He said several times that he was considering visiting Wake unofficially. I don't think that he ever came in though. Stanford and Tennessee seem to be the major players right now. Maybe Virginia Tech as well.

I think that the staff tried hard. He said several times that he was considering visiting Wake unofficially. I don't think that he ever came in though. Stanford and Tennessee seem to be the major players right now. Maybe Virginia Tech as well.

State and Carolina are co-leaders for him on 247

State and Carolina are co-leaders for him on 247

I said Stanford and Tennessee because he has OVs scheduled with them and not UNC or NCSU (yet). He also made time for in-homes with Stanford and Tennessee last week, while NCSU and UNC coaches did not get in to see him. I don't follow Love's recruiting though, I was just trying to answer your question. UNC and NCSU might be heavy favorites and I wouldn't know it.

I said Stanford and Tennessee because he has OVs scheduled with them and not UNC or NCSU (yet). He also made time for in-homes with Stanford and Tennessee last week, while NCSU and UNC coaches did not get in to see him. I don't follow Love's recruiting though, I was just trying to answer your question. UNC and NCSU might be heavy favorites and I wouldn't know it.

Thank you

Rocky Reid needs to pay attention- Tennessee jettisoned 3 more FR players from last years class to make room for their over signing this year and makes it 5 or 6 so far. Big Butch is right in time with the SEC as he has already pulled several offers from committed players as he trades up. Louisville is UT Light.

Back