• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

I would think an athletic LB/S could put up huge numbers in that rover/bandit position in our defense.

Tweets can be misinterpreted, but I am assuming from what Julian Jones tweeted last night that his offer has been pulled back. Did anyone else look at those tweets and draw the same conclusion?

Tweets can be misinterpreted, but I am assuming from what Julian Jones tweeted last night that his offer has been pulled back. Did anyone else look at those tweets and draw the same conclusion?

Maybe someone else at that position is close to committing.

I believe he did not have a committable offer prior to last night, and I assume he did not perform well enough at the camp to earn one.

Alvin Kamara decommit a from BAMA and commits to UTK. Chances this causes Rocky Reid to reopen?

Sixth recruit rated 86 or higher on 247. We only had 5 last year, 4 of whom were Clawson commits (3.5 if you split credit for Wolford). #gayforclawson

Rivals shows Duke, Minnesota, and UVA offers.

Calhoun is a 3-star but there is not very much written about him. Here is what I know.

He wasn’t really on the recruiting radar until an event in December called the Elite Junior Classic when he was a top performer in the practices leading up to the game.

Duke offered in January and he took an unofficial visit there in February. He still uses a picture from that visit as his avi on Twitter. He also got offers from Minnesota (May 7), Indiana (that offer is mentioned in the most recent Scout article) and Navy.

He is a self-described edge rusher. He said that schools really liked his length. He had a goal to put on good weight in the offseason to be more multi-dimensional in the upcoming season.

He mentioned in the last Scout article that getting a good education was really important to him.

Calhoun is a 3-star but there is not very much written about him. Here is what I know.

He wasn’t really on the recruiting radar until an event in December called the Elite Junior Classic when he was a top performer in the practices leading up to the game.

Duke offered in January and he took an unofficial visit there in February. He still uses a picture from that visit as his avi on Twitter. He also got offers from Minnesota (May 7), Indiana (that offer is mentioned in the most recent Scout article) and Navy.

He is a self-described edge rusher. He said that schools really liked his length. He had a goal to put on good weight in the offseason to be more multi-dimensional in the upcoming season.

He mentioned in the last Scout article that getting a good education was really important to him.

Serious question (I'm seriously not trying to be an a-hole) but are there a lot of kids who say "I don't care about school"? It seems like even if you're a 5* recruit you aren't going to go into the process saying you don't care at all about school. I know that's not entirely the point, and I'm happy that Wake has an advantage with kids who honestly do care about getting a good education (especially now with Clawson playing it up so much), but I'm wondering who the kids are that say "no...going to class is dumb. I just want to play football."

I imagine there are a lot of kids who don't mention school one way or another.
If you go out of your way to say you want to be a pediatrician, then school is important to you,

Serious question (I'm seriously not trying to be an a-hole) but are there a lot of kids who say "I don't care about school"? It seems like even if you're a 5* recruit you aren't going to go into the process saying you don't care at all about school. I know that's not entirely the point, and I'm happy that Wake has an advantage with kids who honestly do care about getting a good education (especially now with Clawson playing it up so much), but I'm wondering who the kids are that say "no...going to class is dumb. I just want to play football."

I think there are three groups based on my amateur reading of these articles over the years.

Group 1 just doesn't mention academics at all.

Group 2 mentions academics, but it's from the perspective that all universities have academics. They want to go to a university and get a degree.

Group 3 mentions a specific major or is interested in rigor in some respect.

You can typically tell a difference in Group 2 and Group 3 in their interest and offers. Group 3 has more private schools and elite publics which leads to a more national offer sheet.

More notes:

I was a little confused by OGB's post above before I looked at our commit list just now. I didn't realize that Paris Black was bumped up to a 3*/88 on 247. I think he was 2*/83 before. Nice. Not sure if that reflects FSU's possible interest.

Calhoun is listed at OLB on 247, but I imagine he's a DE in Clawson's defense. This gives us 8 DL commits in the last two classes, 5 are 86 or above on 247.

Oddly enough, I was going to answer in almost the exact way that PhDeac did. When I read articles about recruits that Wake has offered, one-third don't mention academics at all. That group usually talks about the family-like feeling, the town that the college is in, or the general atmosphere. One-third mention academics in passing, usually after the family-like atmosphere or relationships with coaches. The third group talks more specifically about why academics are important, how they will evaluate the school's academics, or what their specific academic goals are.

Wake seems to do better with the last group.

I would put Calhoun in that group. Putting Steven Claude in that third group may not be doing him justice. He might be closer to the Jake Bargas-range in terms of seriousness about academics.

Last edited:
Have you heard any of the Tarhole commits mention academics? I had a friend on a PAC-12 staff. They told the in coming Frosh of their "general studies" program. I'm sure some thought they'd be reading about Patton and Rommel. It was the 13th grade. These kids could then put more time into football, but left with a worthless diploma. You get out of your classes what you put into it. How many recruits turned us down because we didn't have an engineering program. Lo Waters was one, he's an English major at Rutgers. UVa doesn't post Tetlow's major, but he was another one who realized we didn't have a engineering school.

Have you heard any of the Tarhole commits mention academics? I had a friend on a PAC-12 staff. They told the in coming Frosh of their "general studies" program. I'm sure some thought they'd be reading about Patton and Rommel. It was the 13th grade. These kids could then put more time into football, but left with a worthless diploma. You get out of your classes what you put into it. How many recruits turned us down because we didn't have an engineering program. Lo Waters was one, he's an English major at Rutgers. UVa doesn't post Tetlow's major, but he was another one who realized we didn't have a engineering school.

You can turn that around and say don't think that we are unique either. There are a number of other schools hunting for kids with the same academic profile that we are and making fundamentally the same pitch.

Zach Yenser@CalCoachYenser · Jun 19

"After that, I want to get a business degree from one of the country's top schools." - This is why this young man is going to be great! #cal

Zach Yenser@CalCoachYenser · Jun 10

I have a Long flight back to the west coast! tweet me ur hudl link. I want to know ur #GPA and #SAT#ACT score too! U can DM me too. #cal

Zach Yenser@CalCoachYenser · May 7

Good character....Good Student...Really good chance ur going to be a good football player! I'm out looking for you! #crootin #GOBEARS #calOL

Back