• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

Big Board member David Pfaff (DL) from Mequon, WI committed to Wisconsin. Per his Twitter account. It always seemed like he was going to stay in the Midwest. He must have just received the offer from the Badgers.

Last edited:
Part of the deal with Wake is that the higher up the recruit level, the more likely the "no" rather than the yes. A lot of kids just don't want to be put in the situation of having to do the academic work Wake requires and play football.

They won't mind dealing with the academic work Wake requires to play football if we begin to win again; see Stanford and, unfortunately, Duke

Part of the deal with Wake is that the higher up the recruit level, the more likely the "no" rather than the yes. A lot of kids just don't want to be put in the situation of having to do the academic work Wake requires and play football.

That can be a positive. It could mean we recruit from a smaller pool, but it also could mean that we have less competition for the players who self-identify as Wake Forest type players.

I think Clawson and the staff need to use the current discourse about players graduating from schools like Memphis and UNC with no real skills or job prospects to sell the advantage of a rigorous Wake education down the road.

I think Clawson and the staff need to use the current discourse about players graduating from schools like Memphis and UNC with no real skills or job prospects to sell the advantage of a rigorous Wake education down the road.

Maybe we could just frame that as "a genuine and valuable Wake education".

If recruits read these boards -especially the other one- they will know one does not need to be a rocket scientist to get a Wake degree. :)

I would suspect they will get some commitments out of the camps soon. Spring games are going on down here in Florida now and then the camp circuit starts. The bigger issue problem is lack of commits and momentum now. Clawson seems to have an expanded office with more resources which is a good thing and lots of offers out. Have to get some of those guys though. Others in the ACC especially Clemson are cleaning up. There is not a well know "recruiter" on the staff. Would have liked Clawson to have hired a name guy, but possibly didn't have the money to do it.

A "name guy" like who?

I think Clawson is counting his guys to become name guys.

We'll get players to fill our scholarship quota. The problem that Claw has is to field a respectable team that will improve every week. If not, we could be "Negatively recruited" real quick. Clemson should be ahead of us. They can point their recruits to the Orange Bowl trophy they just won. We can point to the one that we won when they were TEN YEARS OLD!

We'll get players to fill our scholarship quota. The problem that Claw has is to field a respectable team that will improve every week. If not, we could be "Negatively recruited" real quick. Clemson should be ahead of us. They can point their recruits to the Orange Bowl trophy they just won. We can point to the one that we won when they were TEN YEARS OLD!

Would also help if we had actually won the orange bowl when they were 10 years old.... Haha

You're right, I should have said "Certificate of Participation".

Wake FB is a dumpster fire, or was at least, so it'll take awhile to get this thing back to respectability. With that said, this class is pretty critical for a quicker turnaround.

Here is the DB update for the Big Board. The update features 3 additions and 3 removals.

Big Board DBs

Dionte Austin (5’11” CB) – Towsen, MD
Ranking: 3-star and Rivals #39 CB in the country.
BCS offers from Wake Forest, Boston College, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Virginia and Virginia Tech.
Described as one of the most explosive athletes on the field at any position at the Rivals Camp in the DC-Baltimore area. He was quoted in March as saying that Wake Forest was his early leader. Maryland is in second and then Indiana and Georgia Tech. Has been glowing in his praise of the new staff. Attended Junior Day at Wake Forest. Has taken numerous unofficial visits to Maryland, including their Junior Day.
5/21 Update – Our friends from Duke joined the recruitment with an offer on May 6. Dionte also added offers from Illinois and Purdue since the last update. Ranked as the #452 player in the country by Rank By Offers. High school teammate of Lawrence Cager (from the WR Board).

TJ Griffin (5’9” CB/WR) – Virginia Beach, VA
Ranking: 2-star
BCS offers from Wake Forest, Duke, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
He says that Wake Forest, Duke and Wisconsin would be his current top 3. He says that Wake and Duke are recruiting him the hardest. Wisconsin is recruiting at CB. He prefers WR, but is open-minded. I can’t tell which position Wake and Duke are recruiting him at. Focusing on running track this spring.
5/21 Update – TJ visited Wake unofficially at the end of April. One article recently implied that Wisconsin is leading Duke, and then another said that Wake Forest and Duke are his top 2. Let’s combine those and say that he still has a top 3 of Wisconsin, Duke and Wake Forest. I read on a Wisconsin website that the staff there has him ranked as one of the top 2 CBs on their board. He intends to visit Duke in the next few weeks and then Wisconsin in the summer. T.J. is targeting a decision in the December/January timeframe. I am relatively certain that we are recruiting him at CB.

Antonyo Sotolongo (6’0” Safety) – Miami, FL
Ranking: 3-star
BCS offers are Wake Forest, Arkansas, Duke, Oregon State and Purdue.
Named first-team all-Dade County. As far back as January he mentioned that he was having the most contact with Duke and Wake Forest. In March he said that Wake remained in contact every week. He focused on track more than football when he was younger and is still adding weight for football. Lead the Miami area in INT-return yardage, including returning three INT’s for scores. He grew up as a Canes fan. He hasn’t made many unofficial visits yet.
5/21 Update: Added offers from Pitt, Syracuse and West Virginia. Ranked as the #458 player in the country by Rank by Offers. He wants to study either business or anthropology. I continue to get the impression that he is in the very early stages with recruiting. He talks the most about Duke, Wake Forest and Arkansas, so it is probably safe to say those are the early frontrunners.

Jarius Morehead (5’11” Safety / WR) – Whitsett, NC
Ranking: 3-star. Recently named top 3 of NC State, ECU and Wake. NC State might be a slight leader. Also has offers from Clemson, UNC and Tennessee (maybe Georgia Tech as well). Jarius attended Wake’s Junior Day.
5/21 Update – One recent article said ECU and NC State are his leaders, however another one had Wake Forest still in the top 3. ECU is recruiting him to play CB. He is switching to CB for his HS team. Wake is definitely recruiting him as a safety. Mike Elko is his Wake Forest recruiter. I think that he has a range of factors that he is weighing including academic reputation, the stability of the coaching staff, how many games the team is expected to win, and how much he can play early in his career. With respect to Wake Forest, he wants to see how much progress we make on the field this year. He is targeting a January/February commitment.

Added to the Big Board

Andre Brown (6’0” Safety) – Decatur, GA
Ranking: 3-star
BCS Offers: Wake Forest, Duke, NC State, Kentucky, Minnesota and Indiana
Background: Committed to Georgia Southern as a QB on March 31. After his commitment, several BCS programs started offering him as a DB. The status of his verbal commitment to GSU in unclear, but he sure sounds like he is headed to a major conference team as a safety.
Recruitment: Not a lot of solid info out there. Coach Hunter is recruiting him for Wake Forest. Coach Elko joined Coach Hunter to visit Brown at his HS on May 12.

Mehdi El-Attrache (6’0 Safety/WR) – Lake Nona, FL
Ranking: Two-star
BCS Offers: Wake Forest, Duke, Louisville, Northwestern, Rutgers and Syracuse
Background: Attends the same high school that Kevin Sousa graduated from. Looking specifically at the high academic schools. Duke is recruiting him as a safety. I think that Northwestern is recruiting him as a WR. I am going to take a guess that Wake Forest is recruiting him as a safety. Derrick Jackson is leading the recruitment for Wake Forest (with help from Kevin Sousa).
Recruitment: He said recently that Wake Forest, Northwestern and Rutgers were recruiting him the hardest. My guess is that Northwestern might have a slight early lead over Wake Forest and Duke. Look for him to commit to a school in the summer (probably August).

Amari Henderson (6’1 Cornerback) – Charlotte, NC
Ranking: Two-star
BCS Offers: Unclear. Scout and 24/7 both show offers from Wake Forest, Penn State and Kansas State but I could only confirm the Kansas State offer via his Twitter account.
Background: Wants to major in broadcast journalism. He has visited Wake unofficially.

Removed from the Board

Myles Hartsfield (Safety / Athlete)
4-star recruit from Parlin, NJ. Ranked by Rivals as one of the top 200 overall players in the country. BCS offers from Wake Forest, Penn State, Georgia Tech, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, and West Virginia. Took an unofficial visit to Wake on April 18. Recently named a top 3 of Penn State, Rutgers and Pitt. Penn State might be the early leader. I may be a little aggressive having him on the list, but I would like to see what he has to say about Wake following his visit.
5/21 Update – This is trending strongly towards a Penn State commitment. I would be very surprised if he went anywhere other than Penn State or Rutgers. An announcement could come soon.

Mohamed Barry (6’1” Safety) - Loganville, GA (added May 11)
Ranking: Unrated
BCS Offers: Wake Forest (offered 4/30), Syracuse, Wisconsin, and NC State.
Background: Could play OLB if needed. He has only played one season at safety. He says that most of his highlight footage shows him rushing the passer, but he is eager to show that he can cover as well. I have assumed (maybe incorrectly) that we are recruiting him at the new rover position. He would like to commit by July. Distance from home is not likely to be a factor in his recruitment.
Recruitment: Syracuse and Wisconsin have both been named favorites at different times this year.
5/21 Update – He is definitely focused on Syracuse and Wisconsin. Those two schools seem to have a sizeable lead. He apparently tweeted that he was about to announce his commitment but has since taken a step back. He said that he wants to visit NC State, and when he did he would also visit Wake Forest “since it’s right up the road” from NC State. He made it sound like Wake would not have otherwise received a visit. That was enough for me to take him off the Board. We will see how things progress.

Freddie Phillips (Safety / WR)
3-star recruit from Pelion, SC. BCS offers from Wake Forest, UNC and NC State. Friends with Wake-commit TJ Haney who is openly trying to recruit Phillips. Earlier this month he said that UNC and NC State were recruiting him the hardest. Then more recently he named Wake and NC State as leaders. Mentions Wake prominently in interviews and makes some very positive comments. Attended Junior Day at Wake. Listed by some sites as a WR or ATH, but S appears to be his preference. He often mentions in interviews that he thinks that with his size/speed (6’2” and 4.5 40) he can have a bigger impact at S. Wake talked to him about opportunities to play on both sides of the ball. NCSU has said that he can choose which side of the ball he wants to play. Potential early enrollee.
5/21 Update – COMMITTED TO N.C. STATE

Last edited:
Thanks for the update 94. We'll find some 2-3* Jrs who'll play like 3-4* as seniors and get them in January. We won't bag any 4*s before then if our offense is as bad as Claw is hinting at on the other thread.

i couldn't figure out how to properly embed a tweet but here is Scheier taking a jab at State and Freddie's commitment…

"Mis-guided young men: 'I committed b/c of their vision 4 their program'. A vision w/out a PROVEN PROCESS behind the vision is just a hunch."

Back