• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

Interestingly based on Scout Or Rivals (I forget). Our star rating average has been around 2.8 the last four years. There has been no dramtic changes. We actually rarely lost a recruit to Duke until last year. Although our ranking has fluctuated from the 70's to the 50's. Our star rating has been around 2.8. I don't see the significant improvement as of yet. It seems like status quo; however, it is nice to see more energy and social media. We will see how the class finishes.

No. If you add up the Rivals ratings points for Clawson's 23 commits (Rivals counts the top 20), they come out to 1335. That's right around #49 in the 2014 rankings. That's significant improvement.

just a reminder that these are all non-binding verbals. as one sec coach says, a verbal just tells you who your competition is. not trying to be a debbie downer.

Are we recruiting him as a tight end or DE?

Same argument applies either way really. Clawson has commits from 8 DL, including 5 DEs. If he brings in another DE, it's probably going to be the guy who Bama has offered.

just a reminder that these are all non-binding verbals. as one sec coach says, a verbal just tells you who your competition is. not trying to be a debbie downer.

Of course. Same applies for kids who verballed elsewhere instead of Wake. That's why it's up to Clawson and his staff to deliver in the Fall.

Austin is a tremendous commit; now, let's go get Quarvez Boulware! Hopefully, the Maryland connection will help with him and, maybe, Cager! Go Deacs...we will be good again!

Time for 3 RB's -a super fast one, a bruiser and an every down type of guy.

For those wondering about Lawrence Cager, I would say things are tough to read right now. I think he is going to commit to the biggest program that he can get an offer from. He has been involved with Oklahoma State, Ohio State and possibly Notre Dame for a number of weeks, but so far no offers from that group. He is going to be a regular on the camp circuit this summer at a number of major programs. If he isn't able to garner an offer from one of those schools, I think Wake will go head-to-head with Rutgers. Getting Dionte Austin can only help our cause.

Oklahoma State's 247 writer has said his #sources told him that he will end up at Oklahoma State unless one of the truly elite programs come through with an offer.

Clawson brought in one of each position in the 2014 class, but of course, he was completing Grobe's class.

This is the breakdown of Clawson commits by position starting with Wolford in the 2014 class. It's pretty interesting.

QB - 3
RB - 1
WR - 3
TE - 2
OL - 3
DL - 8
LB - 1
DB - 2
K - 1

DL stands out. These guys know how to recruit the DL. Transitioning from a 3-4 to a 4-2-5 may not take more than one season with this much talent coming in and possibly one more big time recruit to come. Chris Calhoun is listed as a OLB, so we may be looking for a 4th DE anyway.

We need major help at RB, OL, and DB. I can't see us taking any less than 2 more of each.

Assuming we take 10 more recruits in 2015, this is my best guess how they shake out.

RB - 2
OL - 3
LB/DL - 1
DB - 2
QB or WR - 1
BPA inc. P - 1

Is the long snapper an invited walk-on? Not sure how to factor him in. Clawson is reportedly looking at a 18-19 class. I assume that will turn into at least 21.

After reading up on Dionte months ago, he was the one DB I hoped that we'd get. I'd like to get Boulware next, but the way this staff is doing its job, I can only just stand and applaud.

My best guess is that there are only 8 scholarships left for this class. Hard to believe. It's only June 24.

Commits by June 24 in previous classes:

2014 - 1 (Jaboree Williams)
2013 - 9
2012 - 3
2011 - 5
2010 - 4
2009 - 9
2008 - 4
2007 - 3
2006 - 1
2005 - 1
2004 - 0

Last edited:
Some good news / bad news on the offensive line front. The bad news: Clayton Johnston (fresh off his USC offer) is now saying that he can't afford the airfare to make an unofficial visit to Wake. He says that if he is still uncommitted by the time that official visits come around he will take an official visit to Wake. The reality is that he will commit somewhere else before official visits roll around.

The good news: a player with a big offer list has us in his top 4. I am adding Tyler Higby to my Big Board. Here is the profile summary:

Tyler Higby (6’5, 285lbs / OL) – Houston, TX
Rating: 3-star / Rivals #31 OG in the country / #57 player in Texas
BCS Offers: Wake Forest, LSU, Miami, Maryland, Oklahoma State, Illinois, Louisville and TCU
Background: Attends high academic prep school. He says that he wants to “continue down that path” with his academics. Athletic player. Is further advanced with run blocking than pass pro, but shows the raw tools to excel at both.
Recruitment: He told 247 very recently that LSU, Wake Forest, Oklahoma State and USC (no offer) are the schools that he is considering. LSU offer is from last summer, so it is very difficult to tell where he stands with them right now. I think that he will eventually commit to LSU if he has (or gets) a committable offer. He first visited Wake in the spring on the way home from a family vacation. He will head to USC soon to try to earn an offer at a summer camp.

Last edited:
BCS Offers: Wake Forest, LSU, Miami, Maryland, Oklahoma State, Illinois, Louisville and TCU
Recruitment: He told 247 very recently that LSU, Wake Forest, Oklahoma State and USC (no offer) are the schools that he is considering.

I love this.

Also has an offer from Auburn. That offer sheet is stacked. Between Higby, Boulware, and Kengera, we're going up against some big dogs in recruiting. I love it.

Big Board ATH Mehdi El-Attrach visited Wake yesterday. 2-star on Rivals. #469 overall player in the country on Rank by Offers. He has 15 total offers. Here is my most recent summary profile (from late-May). In the background section I noted "looking specifically at the high academic schools"

Mehdi El-Attrach (6’0 Safety/WR) – Lake Nona, FL
Ranking: Two-star
BCS Offers: Wake Forest, Duke, Louisville, Northwestern, Rutgers and Syracuse
Background: Attends the same high school that Kevin Sousa graduated from. Looking specifically at the high academic schools. Duke is recruiting him as a safety. I think that Northwestern is recruiting him as a WR. I am going to take a guess that Wake Forest is recruiting him as a safety. Derrick Jackson is leading the recruitment for Wake Forest (with help from Kevin Sousa).
Recruitment: He said recently that Wake Forest, Northwestern and Rutgers were recruiting him the hardest. My guess is that Northwestern might have a slight early lead over Wake Forest and Duke. Look for him to commit to a school in the summer (probably August).

Just committed to Boston College.

Tweets can be misinterpreted, but I am assuming from what Julian Jones tweeted last night that his offer has been pulled back. Did anyone else look at those tweets and draw the same conclusion?

Julian Jones committed to Arkansas State today.

Back