• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

Deacs 76 - how could you not recall James Mac (76-80) great freshman RB

Yep, you're right about Mac. So over the last 40 years, it's Barclay, MacDougle and a couple of kickers. We've never depended on incoming freshman. Our last consensus 4*, AJ Marshall, contributed as a frosh, but none of our incoming RBs are rated that high. It's like those cooking shows, were we have a basket of ingredients and we have to make a meal out what we have.

Our last starting QB counts as well. Chris DeGeare was a good true frosh.

Recruiting in general went downhill so that's as responsible for lack of frosh frosh production as anything else.

We'll, I'm worried about the RB position. We need a short yardage guy and a speedy, break-away threat. No one could run in the spring game, at least not from the RB position.

Deacs 76 - how could you not recall James Mac (76-80) great freshman RB

Mac - one of our heroes in our win over Auburn in '79.......still the greatest game in Wake History.
Mac had over 100 for us. Joe Cribbs and James Brooks (who both later played in the NFL) also each had over 100 yds. Both teams had over 500 yds total offense.
took me 3 days to get my voice back.......

Mac - one of our heroes in our win over Auburn in '79.......still the greatest game in Wake History.
Mac had over 100 for us. Joe Cribbs and James Brooks (who both later played in the NFL) also each had over 100 yds. Both teams had over 500 yds total offense.
took me 3 days to get my voice back.......

Dekin-

If you don't have a copy of the S.I. article about the Auburn game saved as do I, you would enjoy reading it again from S.I.'s archives site.
And you're right: greatest game and gameday atmosphere that I can recall. We've had a number of crowds of that size since, but unlike an NCSU/UNC/Clemson/VT, etc. game with lots of visitor colors in the stands , the place was 99.9% black and gold that day.

Alright, a few notes as I update the first post:

-They probably weren't realistic targets at this point, but DE Darius Fullwood (UK), WR Jabari Greenwood (UK), OG Jared Thomas (NW), DT Carl Thompson (Kansas), and TE Jalen Harris (Auburn) have all committed.

-Only one new offer reported on 247, and it's to 2*/3* DE Kenneth Mann, out of Burleson, TX. Mann's offer sheet is certainly beatable, and he looks like a potential consolation prize if we miss out on Kengera Daniel and GG Robinson. I think I prefer him to Rahn Bailey at this point.

-Clayton Johnston's 247 page now lists USC as the "favorite." I might have missed that when I updated last week, but I think it's a new change following that offer. Between that and Deac94's news that he's nixed his visit to Wake, I've un-highlighted him here. (Edit: Well, I meant to, but I didn't, so I'll just un-highlight him next week or whatever.)

Last edited:
Dekin-

If you don't have a copy of the S.I. article about the Auburn game saved as do I, you would enjoy reading it again from S.I.'s archives site.
And you're right: greatest game and gameday atmosphere that I can recall. We've had a number of crowds of that size since, but unlike an NCSU/UNC/Clemson/VT, etc. game with lots of visitor colors in the stands , the place was 99.9% black and gold that day.

Auburn had to call a time out because of crowd noise.

The Tangerine Bowl was the culmination of a great season - Wake was down 38-20 at half and came back to win 42-38. Probably the most exciting game I've ever witnessed!
The Auburn game (regular season)

Last edited:
Dekin-

Fast forward to adulthood and parenthood...............
My daughter went to Auburn. I've told her numerous times about the '79 game, but she doesn't seem to get it. She keeps telling me about Cam Newton and their National Championship. Kids!

I've got to say Kinal was one too. 77, a good recruit won't be here til '15. We have to find somebody already in the ranks and we have 7 to choose from. 9 is you count the new guys. But none will work if we can not fix the OL. Look at teams like Wisconsin and Iowa. Their offense succeed because of their OL and the call plays according to what the OL does best. Harbaugh did this at Stanford. He built a B1G OL and went from there. Our OL is not quick off the ball. They "catch and shove", and it was a disaster.

Kinal didn't play as a true freshman. He redshirted his first year, then started his RS freshman year. He is currently listed as a RS Junior.

WFU also won at Georgia in 1979. Kevin Butler's 63 yard FG attempt came up a four short as time expired between the hedges .

Very, very sad.
I hate to hear things like this.....

I THOUGHT THIS WAS A RECRUITING THREAD.

WHY HAS IT GONE TO AN AUBURN THREAD....

Would it be possible to put the Rivals Ratings in the first post like how we do for 247 and ESPN on the next update?

Would it be possible to put the Rivals Ratings in the first post like how we do for 247 and ESPN on the next update?

Not sure what you are looking to use the ratings for, but FYI the board that sarcasdeac put together uses the Rivals ratings.

link

Alright, a few notes as I update the first post:

-They probably weren't realistic targets at this point, but DE Darius Fullwood (UK), WR Jabari Greenwood (UK), OG Jared Thomas (NW), DT Carl Thompson (Kansas), and TE Jalen Harris (Auburn) have all committed.

-Only one new offer reported on 247, and it's to 2*/3* DE Kenneth Mann, out of Burleson, TX. Mann's offer sheet is certainly beatable, and he looks like a potential consolation prize if we miss out on Kengera Daniel and GG Robinson. I think I prefer him to Rahn Bailey at this point.

-Clayton Johnston's 247 page now lists USC as the "favorite." I might have missed that when I updated last week, but I think it's a new change following that offer. Between that and Deac94's news that he's nixed his visit to Wake, I've un-highlighted him here. (Edit: Well, I meant to, but I didn't, so I'll just un-highlight him next week or whatever.)

I agree with you that Kenneth Mann might be a possibility if the staff is open to a fifth DL. However I don't think the offer is new. Maybe it was just added by 247. The Wake offer was made during the spring eval period and mentioned in a Scout article in mid-May. I would be very surprised if the staff made any more DL offers this year, unless someone really emerges this fall. I dropped Mann off of my list only because I had a lot of DL on the Board and thought that it was unlikely that the staff took another (unless it was Kengera Daniel). So I dropped the DLs who hadn't visited, or hadn't at least said they were planning to visit.

If you think there is a legitimate chance of taking another DL, I would highlight Kenneth Brinson in addition to Mann. Brinson is similar to Mann in that there is a shortage of information available about him but he does have a Wake offer and a beatable offer sheet.

Back