• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Masters Tickets

drew

Reaction score
Won the chance to buy tix to the Wednesday practice round. I've never been. Tell me everything I need to know.

Hope it doesn't rainout like Monday this year.
Buy your gear early if you want stuff, leave and put it in your car, then go back in.
Walk the full course.
Eat as many pimento cheese sandwiches as you can.

YOU LUCKY BASTID

Congrats, enjoy it bro

Wing it! No way to screw up a good time at this event. Take a Camera!

I went Wednesday this year. Great trip. Flew to Atlanta, stayed in Madison and drove into Augusta early.

Some tips:

Don't rent from Hertz: They are notorious for overselling major events at their Atlanta facility. I was "guaranteed" a midsize and they had....nothing. Told me it would be a three hour wait. I was able to make other arrangements but it was really stressful.

Get your hotel room early. Like, NOW. We stayed in the Hampton Inn on the Interstate in Madison Ga and then went in, saw the old homes (Sherman spared Madison) and had a beer in the old town square and went to a cool restaurant down the street and sat outside on the deck overlooking a park. http://www.town220.com/ We had a blast. (Hampton Inn was just adequate, not great, but great location. Madison has some great old B&B's but they were full).

I hear Athens the night before is a great way to do it as well.

Get up early and get yourself to Augusta. The traffic sucks and practice rounds end early on Wednesday due to the par 3 tournament. You want to get there early enough to watch the players at the range and then follow some folks around the course (practice rounds are very casual with people hitting multiple balls so sometimes you are better off moving on to the next guy).

There are some interesting back roads that parallel the interstate on the way to Augusta if you feel adventurous. (We had to use them to get around a wreck, beautiful countryside but cost us 20 mins).

Walk as much of the course as you can. Try to see someone skip the ball across the hazard to the green on No. 16. I even did a cheesy "walk up 18" (in that case with Angel Cabrera) just so I could relive it when I watched it on TV that Sunday. The finish this year sucked but it was so cool to watch the tournament and say "Cool, I just walked there."

Don't be shy about checking out the members in the fenced off umbrella patio. Getting to see Arnie from 30 feet eating lunch in his green jacket was very cool. You see a lot of other celeb types too.

Find a nice spot on the first fairway or first hole of the par 3 tournament. It's the closest you'll get to so many pros, and to see them with their families dressed as "caddies" is fun.

Eat at least two pimento cheese sandwiches. At least. And pay the extra buck for the better beer because it comes in a better souvenir cup that survives the dishwasher better.

PM me with any questions.

Last edited:
Finding Hotel rooms is not an easy task for the Masters, most wind up going to Columbia, for about an extra 20 minute drive you can also stay in Athens GA and have a great night there on Tuesday. Obviously I am a little biassed, but if you have never been to Athens it is kinda like knocking out two birds with one stone. Did this with my buddy “LAYUP” right after we learned he had ALS, and a family friend gave us the tickets. LAYUP was a huge Wake fan but also loved my Dawgs, the trip is a memory I will always hang on to.

Get a spot up close to the players on the tee box. After they hit their drives scream, "YOU DA MAN!" at the top of your lungs a few times. You will endear yourself to everyone.

Don't bother taking your merchandise back to the car - there is a check station right next to the store at the back gate. Much easier than walking to and from your car.

The pimento cheese sandwiches are good, but switch it up some. The Master's Club, chicken sandwich and egg salad sandwich are also great. Definitely walk the whole course.

Set your chairs up on a tee box of the par 3 course early.. no one will touch them and you can get way closer to the players on the tee boxes as opposed to sitting green-side.

Back