• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

Not to freak out over one video, but Dortch did pull out one of the sickest moves I've ever seen during his visit in June at a camp. It's on Twitter he made the guy look silly. Obviously the offers aren't impressive though

For what it's worth however, Jamie Newman just asked everyone on Twitter to show him some love, so clearly he's a fan because the only other recruits I've seen him do that for are Redd and Brown

N.C. State offered Traveon Redd. Interesting that they would try to get involved this late.

Safety Lukas Masterson (Naples, FL) also tweeted that he received an offer from Wake today. Wake is his second P5 offer. Iowa State was his first.

That's 3 new offers today. One OL, one receiver, and one safety.

Safety Lukas Masterson (Naples, FL) also tweeted that he received an offer from Wake today. Wake is his second P5 offer. Iowa State was his first.

That's 3 new offers today. One OL, one receiver, and one safety.

Where are all these offers coming from?
Is there going to be a mass exodus of current players to make room?
Also, I'm not sure that the new offers are going to players better than the ones we already have.
I'm sure the coaching staff has it figured out, but I don't.

These could be "offers" that they take commits if they miss on targets. Not are how you would tell kids that, but it seems like coaches do somehow.

The staff also has to be wary of switches as well as getting in with kids before they blow up.

I seem to recall a few situations where we lost out on a commitment a week or so after offering an off-the-radar type recruit at a similar position. As if we got the heads up it wasn't going our way with the targeted recruit so we got some more offers out.

With all these offers and commits something is going. A lot of attrition or grey shirts it has to be.

My theory is the same as wfufb2014. Maybe the most recent offers are backup plans for key targets? On one hand it would seem strange to give someone an offer and then tell them they need to hold off on committing. On the other hand, it’s notable that none of the new offers were immediately accepted the way Alex Bachman, Christian Matthew and Andrew Rector did last year. I could be wrong, and we may see some commits in the next few days. But if I’m right, it might look like this:

Slot Receiver: 1 spot
Plan A: Moe Neal (7 other P5 offers)
Plan B: Greg Dortch (no other P5 offers)

Offensive Line: 1 spot
Plan A: Tremayne Anchrum (12 other P5 offers)
Plan B: Tyler Watson (no other P5 offers)

Defensive Tackle: 1 spot
Plan A: Sulaiman Kamara (6 other P5 offers)
Plan B: Jordan Jackson (not offered yet)

Safety: 1 spot
Plan A: Traveon Redd (6 other P5 offers)
Plan B: DeAndre Delaney or Lukas Masterson (both have no other P5 offers)

Cornerback: 1 spot
Plan A: Sir Patrick Scott (12 other P5 offers)
Plan B: Brandon Moore (no other P5 offers)

Note: I wouldn’t be surprised to see an LB offered soon. If that happens, then you might assume there is a spot for an LB and maybe not for a CB or DT.

Additional Note: There may not be a long wait with some of these. We will know soon whether Redd, Neal and possibly Scott are committing elsewhere. The staff may know even sooner than we do.

This scenario would require 5 more scholarships. It would also still require additional scholarships to be made available if we were to land Elysee Mbem-Bosse, Jordon Brown or Larry Collins. But assuming 5 more scholarships, I agree with DeacsOrDie that greyshirts would probably have to be part of the equation. Clawson has already acknowledged the possibility, and said that the staff would have that agreement with the recruit upfront (in other words, no Matt Colburn situations). So it could look like this:

9 current openings
6 early graduations
2 greyshirts

That would still leave Wake 3 over the scholarship limit. That could be solved by attrition between now and June 2016. That seems reasonable. This year we lost DaiQuan Lawrence, Tyler Henderson and Bo Archibald. Or by recruits flipping before NSD. If neither of those things happen, the staff would probably be in a position where they would have to deny more seniors a fifth year. Or maybe they have an understanding with a player like former walk-on Grant Dawson where he wouldn’t necessarily be guaranteed a scholarship every year.

This might seem like risky business, but if you don’t manage scholarships this way you are pretty much guaranteeing that you won’t fully utilize all 85 scholarships. This year Wake gave 2 scholarships to former walk-ons and took 2 post-grads and are STILL only using 83 spots. I think Wake could be more aggressive with their roster management.

With that being said, I am not really a fan of greyshirting. It is an odd approach. Kind of like saying that you think that your lowest rated recruit in the current year will be better than your highest rated recruit next year.

Summarized and paraphrased quotations from tv interview:

"Coach Clawson basically came in and said we are going to offer you. We want you here and think it will be a good fit for you."

"The decision is not really as hard as you would think it is. I'm actually pretty close. I want to commit before my football season."

He could be 5-9, 180 by the time he steps on the field. That's Chris Barclay size.

Dortch seems like Jacquez Williams 2.0 in that he will commit within the next two days after getting an offer far and away better than everything else he already has

Pretty nice hudl highlights.

I didn’t watch the Greg Dortch highlights until this morning. No doubt they have some sizzle. Here is a link: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2827170/greg-dortch

I bet Scheier is pounding the table to get him as another option as a kick/punt returner.

For some perspective, Chuck Wade was overlooked in part because of his size and he has a full 4-5 inches on Dertch.

We are definitely adding some shorter players. An offense with 5’10 Kendall Hinton, 5’8 Tabari Hines, 5’7 Greg Dortch and 5’8 Matt Colburn would need a nickname. For sure.

Summarized and paraphrased quotations from tv interview:

"Coach Clawson basically came in and said we are going to offer you. We want you here and think it will be a good fit for you."

"The decision is not really as hard as you would think it is. I'm actually pretty close. I want to commit before my football season."

I had to laugh. His other offers are James Madison, Hampton, Delaware State and Norfolk State.

Back