• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

Collins has a heck of an offer list
Would love to have him

I’m hearing that Greg Dortch picked up an offer from Maryland yesterday. We’ll have to see if that hits the Twitterverse today. Coach Higgins did an in-home visit with Dortch yesterday.

Coach Clawson was in Tennessee yesterday for an in-home with De’Andre Delaney and very likely also dropped in on a top 2017 target in that area. If he had the use of a private jet he could have been in other places as well.

Damon Hayes picked up an offer from Temple. Only worth mentioning because yesterday’s article said that a Rutgers staff member that had recruited Hayes was recently added to the staff at Temple.

I read that ECU-commit TE Aubry Payne no longer plans to visit Wake this weekend. That’s no surprise after the Thomas Cole commitment. It looks like Cole may have committed to jump in front of Payne.

Wake Rivals has info on an uncommitted visitor on their premium board. Out of respect for Les I’m not going to put the name here until I can find another source. Les posted the info yesterday morning and it hasn’t made it anywhere else. I will say that it is not a completely new name to this thread.

Without adjusting for the Wake Rivals info, here is my updated list (I’ve added info on where they will be visiting this weekend):

Expected Visitors
WR Larry Collins (January 22)
CB Damon Hayes (January 22) – likely visiting Boston College this weekend (not confirmed)
OL Pete Leota (January 22) – visiting South Carolina this weekend
LB Deuce Statham (January 29)

Considering Visits
RB/S Arkeem Byrd
DL Allen Cater – visiting UNC this weekend
LB Andrew Armstrong - visiting Syracuse this weekend

Last edited:
2016 Football Recruiting Thread

Tyler Watson needs to be acknowledged here. I'm hearing he continues to be pursued hard. Holding firm. Loyal Deacon. Becoming one of my favorites in this class for that reason. Great academic kid is going to be a great fit. Go Tyler!

ETA: There are probably others that are staying just as solid. There's just more info on Watson.

Last edited:
Greg Dortch has reportedly scheduled an official visit to Maryland on January 29. That would make him the first commit in the '16 class to accept an OV invite from another school.

Maryland is in full meltdown and has a truckload of scholarships available. I've read estimates as high as 15.

Didn't Dortch tweet a couple of weeks ago that he was done taking calls/visits from anyone else? Or was that someone else?

Clawson was with a bunch of recruits and their families at the basketball game today. They were in the section right next to me. Unfortunately, any recruit that watched that abortion of an effort from the basketball Deacs probably will want nothing to do with Wake Forest.

Arkeem Byrd is visiting this weekend. The staff took advantage of an opportunity when his Tennessee visit was cancelled. Almost positive the staff sees him as an RB.

Dortch is tweeting a lot of encouragement to Boyd to commit this weekend. Sounds like he (Dortch) remains very pro WFU!

Here are my notes on this weekend’s uncommitted visitor:

RB/S Arkeem Byrd (Savannah, GA)

Rating: 3-star (5.5)

P5 Offers: Minnesota (September 22), Boston College, Kansas, Wake Forest (December 2), Georgia Tech (December 5), Tennessee (December 6), Louisville (January 7), Mizzou (January 13). Has 21 total offers.

Crystal Balls: All six are for Tennessee (his visit there was cancelled though)

Official Visits: Minnesota (October 30), Colorado State (September 12), and Wake Forest (January 15). Will likely visit two more schools, with Louisville, Mizzou and Georgia Tech as possibilities.

Other Notes: More of an explosive, edge type RB right now but given his strength and frame many are projecting he will be a versatile RB at the next level. Only 190 pounds, but given his frame there has been speculation that he could get up to 205-210 before he sees significant playing time. Has been one of the very top targets for Minnesota since they offered in September. Named offensive player of the year in Savannah. Played in just nine games as a senior, but totaled 1,220 rushing yards (136 yards/game average) and 16 rushing TDs. In his final HS game he had TD runs of 60, 54 and 36 yards in the first half. In another game he amassed 160 yards rushing despite carrying the ball only five times. Plays in a smaller classification (3A). Despite playing sparingly on defense as a HS senior, Georgia Tech and Tennessee both offered Byrd as a safety. Clemson was also looking at him as a safety, although they didn’t offer. Louisville, Minnesota, Boston College and Mizzou all definitely view him a RB. Plans to make his decision based on which school shows him that they want him he most, where he can play early and where he finds the best fit socially.

Last edited:
Didn't Dortch tweet a couple of weeks ago that he was done taking calls/visits from anyone else? Or was that someone else?

Clawson was with a bunch of recruits and their families at the basketball game today. They were in the section right next to me. Unfortunately, any recruit that watched that abortion of an effort from the basketball Deacs probably will want nothing to do with Wake Forest.

Yes, Dortch tweeted on January 7th that he was shutting down his recruitment and was 100% committed to Wake. Then on January 15 he scheduled an official visit to Maryland.

Dortch did an interview with Maryland's Scout website. He had a lot of good things to say about Maryland, but also made some very positive comments about Wake (which is an especially good sign given he was talking to a Terps website).

The official visitors were at the game yesterday. About half the current commits, plus Arkeem Byrd. The commits included Taleni Suhren, Malik Grate, LaRonde' Liverpool, Manny Walker, Boogie Basham and Jacquez Williams.

Many of you noticed that Taleni Suhren tweeted that he was shutting down his recruitment and was 100% committed to Wake, but then deleted the tweet. I actually viewed what transpired as a positive. He may not be 100% solid, but it sure looks like he's close. Fingers crossed.

Taleni tweeted that he's solid. Done with recruiting. Huge. Huge. Huge. Big step towards keeping this class intact. Not sure how much he really wavered. Never scheduled another OV.

Taleni tweeted that he's solid. Done with recruiting. Huge. Huge. Huge. Big step towards keeping this class intact. Not sure how much he really wavered. Never scheduled another OV.

For real done, or Dortch done?

BR put out an alert on Taleni. So that solid.

Christian Colon has 2 crystal balls for Eastern Michigan. Was committed to Penn St. Last year he was a 4 star that everybody wanted. What happened?

Back