• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

So Wake could have one of the Smothers Brothers next year!

I'd be surprised if he qualified academically. He looked at going to several local private schools and couldn't get in.

I'd be surprised if he qualified academically. He looked at going to several local private schools and couldn't get in.

Yet we offered him.

JUNIOR DAY

Wake Forest’s Junior Day is one month from today. To be more accurate it is Wake Forest’s first Junior Day event as there will be another one later in the month, but I think that the one on February 15th will draw more of the key targets. With Junior Day being just 11 days after National Signing Day, that means the coaches and recruiting staff have needed to make decisions on invites and reach out to recruits to encourage attendance at the same time that they are trying to close out the 2015 class.

I don’t know too much about Junior Day itself, other than it is a structured unofficial visit. Not a camp, but a day of meetings, presentations and activities. Really a chance for 2016 and 2017 recruits to get significant exposure to a school and a staff, and a chance for our staff to put their best foot forward. Junior Days are often coordinated with home basketball games to incent more recruits to attend (Duke has often held theirs on the day of the UNC-Duke game at Cameron Indoor), however it looks like Wake’s will not involve a home basketball game. Last year’s Junior Day attendees included eventual commits like Dionte Austin, Lee Autry, TJ Haney and Paris Black, as well as some other familiar names like Lawrence Cager. As an unofficial visit, recruits need to cover their own travel expenses. With all of the schools having Junior Days in the same 4-5 week period, the more sought after recruits have to decide which schools they will make a priority.

In another sign of the recruiting cycle moving earlier every year, some large programs will actually host Junior Day events in January (before National Signing Day). I suspect this is an effort to attract more recruits by being the first Junior Day event on the calendar, but it means these events will overlap with the last weekend of official visits for the 2015 class. West Virginia and Clemson are examples. Both will host Junior Day events on January 31. I know already that key Wake target RB Tre Harbison will attend West Virginia’s Junior Day.

Junior Day is the best opportunity for the staff to get in contention for recruits that will be will be making decisions in the June/July timeframe (just 4-5 months later). I am very interested to see who attends. I will be compiling a list in the original post in this thread, although I don’t expect my list to get very long until closer to the event.

Coach Ruggiero went to see QB Deuce Wallace throw this morning. I think he is one of 4-5 guys most likely to get the next 2016 QB offer.

December 16 early signing day has been formally proposed. If adopted it would take effect for the 2016 class.

QB Jamie Newman was offered by Wake Forest today. I know that I have been asked about him specifically on this thread before.

UNC is hosting their first Junior Day today. The recruits in attendance will also go to the UNC-FSU basketball game.

Here is a list of players on my Big Board that will be at UNC today:
RB Tre Harbison
RB Jordon Brown
RB Kennedy McKoy
WR Diondre Overton
ATH Thad Moss
DT Christian Colon
CB Mark Gilbert

Also a few notable players that didn’t make my Board because I thought they were out of reach:
WR Larry Collins (Lower Richland HS / Hopkins, SC)
OG Landon Dickerson (South Caldwell HS/ Hudson, NC)
QB Chazz Surratt (East Lincoln HS / Denver, NC)
DT Ellison Jordan (Gilman School / Baltimore, MD)
DE Tomon Fox (Collins Hill HS / Suwanee, GA)
OT Josh Ball (Stafford HS / Fredericksburg, VA)

Back