• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

That would blow if he did flip knowing the continued need at OL.

That said, based on his Twitter feed up until a couple of days ago, he seemed to be all in on the Deacs.

So, I am curious as to where the chatter would come from that would lead to that prediction.

A few updates:

Moe Neal will visit Syracuse on July 16th. That will be his second visit there. He has said that he will commit this summer after he has visited each of his top contenders for a second time. My guess is that Neal might make a decision at the end of July.

I have been getting up to speed on Michigan recruiting. Based on what I have read I don’t think that Sir Patrick Scott is a priority for Big Blue right now. I am now more optimistic that Wake can land Scott if there is still a spot available for him.

One website is claiming that S Myles Dorn is down to UNC and N.C. State. While I have viewed Dorn as somewhat of a longshot, I won’t count Wake out until I see some quotes from him.

This article (free) on S Traveon Redd provided more support for the theory that Wake continues to trail Vanderbilt. I may be overanalyzing, but I noted that he specifically mentions “the area” when discussing what he likes about Vanderbilt. Then we asked about what the deciding factors will be he says “how I like the area”. Just an observation. http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1559540-redd-getting-closer#/college/football/recruiting/story/1559540-redd-getting-closer

UNC has surged to the lead with TE Garrett Walston and OL Pete Leota after reportedly providing specific assurances to them that the football program will not face NCAA sanctions. While neither of those recruits are Wake targets at this point, you would expect that they are using the same tactic with APB Jordon Brown. It is interesting to note that everyone’s best guess is that the NCAAs decision with respect to penalties will come shortly after National Signing Day.

The big story for 2016 remains the question of how many spots are available, or can be made available, in this class. Here is my estimate of Wake’s chances of landing each of the remaining top targets ASSUMING there is a spot left for each:

Moe Neal: 60%
Sir Patrick Scott: 60%
Jarett Cole: 50%
Traveon Redd: 40%
Jordon Brown: 30%
Tremayne Anchrum: 30%
Elysee Mbem-Bosse: 10%
Myles Dorn: 10%

Hasn't he been actively recruiting for us?

That would blow if he did flip knowing the continued need at OL.

That said, based on his Twitter feed up until a couple of days ago, he seemed to be all in on the Deacs.

So, I am curious as to where the chatter would come from that would lead to that prediction.

Suhren did claim tongue-in-cheek credit for recruiting Malik Grate. They must have visited Wake together at the same time.

Suhren was part of the big visit weekend with a number of other 2016 commits. His timeline has been active with Wake mentions and he continues to follow Wake players, recruits and targets on Twitter.

I am also curious what the source of the chatter was, but I am also nervous because it was one of 247s national writers that made the prediction. Someone that you would expect to be very connected.

I didn't have UCLA on my radar with Suhren at all. I was actually stressing (mildly) about a different school. I have looked at some UCLA websites and found no discussion of Suhren. If there is something going on with Suhren and UCLA, it has been kept under the radar intentionally.

Well, maybe this is a good opportunity to get something out in the open for the coaches to address with him if there are actual legs to it. If not, there is nothing to worry about. As we all know, there is plenty of recruiting going on behind the scenes until NSD, including by us, so hopefully we can keep the guys in the fold!

Who is the best player in the last ten years that committed to Wake and then flipped?

Jonathan Cooper was probably the best player in the past 10 years that we were THISCLOSE to getting. I can't think of a decommit (to this point) who has really been good somewhere else.

Was Rankins actually committed? If so, I guess he is the answer.

I haven't found any evidence that he was. According to 247, he took an official to Wake two weeks before he verballed to UofL which was about a week or so before signing day.

A few updates:

Moe Neal will visit Syracuse on July 16th. That will be his second visit there. He has said that he will commit this summer after he has visited each of his top contenders for a second time. My guess is that Neal might make a decision at the end of July.

I have been getting up to speed on Michigan recruiting. Based on what I have read I don’t think that Sir Patrick Scott is a priority for Big Blue right now. I am now more optimistic that Wake can land Scott if there is still a spot available for him.

One website is claiming that S Myles Dorn is down to UNC and N.C. State. While I have viewed Dorn as somewhat of a longshot, I won’t count Wake out until I see some quotes from him.

This article (free) on S Traveon Redd provided more support for the theory that Wake continues to trail Vanderbilt. I may be overanalyzing, but I noted that he specifically mentions “the area” when discussing what he likes about Vanderbilt. Then we asked about what the deciding factors will be he says “how I like the area”. Just an observation. http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1559540-redd-getting-closer#/college/football/recruiting/story/1559540-redd-getting-closer

UNC has surged to the lead with TE Garrett Walston and OL Pete Leota after reportedly providing specific assurances to them that the football program will not face NCAA sanctions. While neither of those recruits are Wake targets at this point, you would expect that they are using the same tactic with APB Jordon Brown. It is interesting to note that everyone’s best guess is that the NCAAs decision with respect to penalties will come shortly after National Signing Day.

The big story for 2016 remains the question of how many spots are available, or can be made available, in this class. Here is my estimate of Wake’s chances of landing each of the remaining top targets ASSUMING there is a spot left for each:

Moe Neal: 60%
Sir Patrick Scott: 60%
Jarett Cole: 50%
Traveon Redd: 40%
Jordon Brown: 30%
Tremayne Anchrum: 30%
Elysee Mbem-Bosse: 10%
Myles Dorn: 10%

I would be surprised if Dorn did not end up at State.

Carolina continues to disgust me with their antics. I hope the COI is paying attention.

Who the hell is Sheldon Rankins?

Didn't Chris Leak commit to us when he was a freshman in high school or something?

Last edited:
Dom Maggio has confirmed that he is solid with Wake. Declined an offer to visit BC after they offered. Also mentioned that the Wake staff has held open the possibility that he might be able to compete for placekicking duties at some point (he was recruited primarily as Kinal's replacement at punter).

ETA: Sir Patrick Scott will visit Michigan on August 1-2.

Last edited:
Lots of info coming out today on Sir Patrick Scott. In a new interview he mentions only 3 schools: Michigan, Wisconsin and Arizona. He also appeared to say that he plans to commit somewhere this summer, but then take all 5 official visits.

Obviously I was overly optimistic about Scott this morning. I am even starting to wonder if Wake is still involved.

That would be quite a trio of schools to beat out for his commitment. After having so much momentum a few weeks ago, this class is really closing way more quietly than I thought which is disappointing. After the Zimmer commitment I didn't think we'd be flipping UNCC level guys as substitutes for Gagnon/Scott etc. Hope something changes

Back