• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

Did you mean Riley Skinner?

The LB from Oneonta, Al who was offered by us. The next day Saban offered and he committed on the spot. At least we had Alec Morris for a week before the Nick-tator swooped in.

Carlos seems like a good get. Hopefully he can get his GPA up though, that kind of scares me as far as enrolling next year and sticking in school here.

- Boogie Basham 6' 4" 245 and runs a 4.5 40
- one of the top players in the Roanoke Valley
.....and a rising senior in HS

I like
Welcome Boogie!

Carlos seems like a good get. Hopefully he can get his GPA up though, that kind of scares me as far as enrolling next year and sticking in school here.

He sees the finish line of his HS career. He should be able to start to work towards it in the classroom and on the field. It's now in his hands. I hope the coaches wouldn't offer a kid who couldn't hack it. Welcome Carlos!

Boogie "Bash 'Em" Basham

Thanks for the video link. He has one of those winning smiles.

RSF has posted that he was concerned about another spot filling up in the 2016 class when there aren’t many remaining. With that in mind, I went back to my list to look at who was left and how things might play out.

I think that the staff must be working with a scholarship budget of at least 16. That is the upper-end of the range that I thought was possible for this class absent further known attrition. I strongly suspect that there is a safety spot that has been budgeted for and is still open. From the beginning it’s been very clear that there would be a safety in this class. Wake ended up “short” safeties last year when there were two late decommits and only one was filled with end-game recruiting. That left one scholarship open – and post-grad Zach Dancel is keeping it warm for a year. It’s possible that Jacquez Williams filled that spot, but I think it is more likely that Williams is a Rover. That would mean there is still a spot for a safety – presumably either Traveon Redd or Jarett Cole.

I can’t wrap my head around the possibility that Wake would pull back on the recruitment of Elysee Mbem-Bosse, Jordon Brown or Tremayne Anchrum because of the scholarship count. So let’s assume that even if the recruiting budget is 16 scholarships, the staff would go over budget if Wake could land one of those 3. That seems like a reasonable assumption. Even though Wake is in contention, we aren’t the odds-on favorite for any of them. The best case scenario is probably that we land one of the three, so you would only be looking at exceeding the budget by one.

So if all 5 of these recruits are still “takes”, who might be on the outside looking in?

APB Moe Neal – I really, really want Moe. No doubt. I think he is a playmaker, and we are a program in need of playmakers. He is also by all accounts a high-character kid. But the reality is that programs don’t make many scholarships available for players with his size and position. Whether there is still a spot for Moe is one of the most interesting questions right now. I trust the staff on this one. They know Moe well. Whichever direction they are going, I doubt that taking Boogie Basham impacts the Moe Neal decision one way or another.

CB Sir Patrick Scott – I would love to have Sir Patrick in this class, but Wake may have pulled back. He is all about Michigan on Twitter. Who knows if he actually ends up getting a spot there? Even if he doesn’t he has signaled that he plans to commit somewhere and then take all 5 official visits. I’m just not into that.

WRs Larry Collins / Phil Patterson – Despite a lot of effort Wake hasn’t landed a highly touted WR other than Steven Claude (you could add Scotty Washington to that list – he got some ratings bumps while he was committed to Wake). Would they turn away Patterson or Collins? The reality is this question is very likely hypothetical. The 247 Crystal Balls have been dropping for Collins to home state South Carolina, and while LaRonde Liverpool has been working on Patterson, Wake likely still trails Virginia Tech, Duke and UNC.

DT Sulamain Kamara – I am a Kamara fan, but as I mentioned a few days ago I’m not paying much attention until I hear that he has visited Wake since Junior Day. If he hasn’t visited, I am assuming he ends up at Duke or UNC.

DE Tabarius Peterson – The newest recruit on my radar. I would be a little disappointed if Wake didn’t have room. Wake now has 3 DE commits already (4 if that is where they plan to play Johnny Ray).

Bottom Line: As long as there is still a safety spot left and Mbem-Bosse, Anchrum and Brown are still targets, the remaining names are either ones I would be OK walking away from or aren’t that realistic anyways.

Last edited:
After the last two classes, I can't see more than a handful seeing the field as freshmen in '16. We'll see a bunch of 4 year starters out of the classes of '14-'15. I want these DLs to be 275lb monsters by '18. It's not what the recruits are, it's what they will become.

Correct. An opponent posted a vine of a DL benching 450 lbs. and they were going crazy. Wake has at least a dozen over 400 lbs right now. Keep in mind that the majority of the team is RS Soph and younger who will continue to develop for the next two/three years. By the time Boogie hits the field, he could easily be 265/270 lb still with the 4.5 ish speed.

Basham had an offer from Navy...must mean he has some potential in the classroom.

Correct. An opponent posted a vine of a DL benching 450 lbs. and they were going crazy. Wake has at least a dozen over 400 lbs right now. Keep in mind that the majority of the team is RS Soph and younger who will continue to develop for the next two/three years. By the time Boogie hits the field, he could easily be 265/270 lb still with the 4.5 ish speed.

so Basham=Clowney or Vic Beasley with an extra 20 pounds? cool.

so Basham=Clowney or Vic Beasley with an extra 20 pounds? cool.

Yeah seriously. A legit 4.5, like at the NFL combine 4.5? Highly doubt it. I think we should stick with "he is fast for his size".

Yeah seriously. A legit 4.5, like at the NFL combine 4.5? Highly doubt it. I think we should stick with "he is fast for his size".

Add me to the list of skeptics on the 40 time. I did quote the VT Rivals guy as saying he was close to 4.5, but we don't have a good source IMO. Unfortunately, he didn't attend The Opening regional. That event provides laser-timed 40 results. His Scout profile has him as a verified 4.77, but it is unclear where they got that time from. It could be over a year old for all we know.

Talked to my friend about Moe Neal. Said Duke is out of the equation they haven't spoken to him in a while. Said he visits Cuse the 16th and he is down to Wake and Cuse.

I would love Moe, but seriously where are all these scholarships coming from? I expect some guys to transfer, particularly from the Grobe regime, but what happens if all of a sudden we are just 5 over and no one is leaving?

I would love Moe, but seriously where are all these scholarships coming from? I expect some guys to transfer, particularly from the Grobe regime, but what happens if all of a sudden we are just 5 over and no one is leaving?

You graduate as many players as you can and do not renew their scholarships until you are no longer over the limit. This primarily relates to players that redshirted and would be returning for a 5th year.

Back