• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

I thought this was funny. From ESPNU's Matt Schick, who is apparently on a long flight to Oregon:

Matt Schick
@ESPN_Schick
Headed to #TheOpening. Sitting a row in front of @JackAnderson_53 & @tsuhren05 . If they kick my seat, I'll get very upset and keep sitting.

That's hilarious.

Will be interesting to see how many of our 2016 class gets upgraded during the upcoming season.
The majority of this class is currently a 2* or low-rated 3*.
How many of the 2* will move up to 3* and how many 5.5's will move to 5.6 or higher?
If we see significant movement, it will be a good sign or our coaches being able to spot talent early on.
Will look at this again in November.

Bloggersodear's write up on Boogie talks about his 4.5 speed as well. Doesn't really matter what the exact number is, just that he is very fast for his size. Speed should only increase once on campus with better strength & conditioning.

The 4.5 number everyone is getting is from the Rivals' scout's mouth during his announcement, though who know it if is official or not. But I agree, thing that matters is how fast he is on gameday when he's ready to contribute after a year or 2 in our conditioning program

Bloggersodear's write up on Boogie talks about his 4.5 speed as well. Doesn't really matter what the exact number is, just that he is very fast for his size. Speed should only increase once on campus with better strength & conditioning.

I didn't notice/see above average speed in that video. I did see a lanky kid who showed good pursuit getting to the ball carrier. Also appeared to tower over everyone on that field....which indicates most kids were likely in the 5'10" to 6'1" range.

I too have questioned a few of our most recent recruits: Bassey, Wakefield, Williams and definitely Johnny Ray (I know, he's been on the board for a while). I too wish we could hold out and possibly land a few of the bigger names on our board, maybe we will. But, I think Clawson is doing a good job of evaluating these guys early and he's getting players who fit a need and who WANT to play for Wake Forest. And, I'll never complain about having too many defensive lineman. The real recruiting class will be in 2017...if we're still getting the 2's and lower rated 3's, then we can start to throw up some red flags. For now, let's celebrate getting a guy (Basham) with size and speed and who might end up being a beast. And, let's not forget about Phillip Haynes...the guy barely played high school football, didn't show up on anybody's radar, was a 2* recruit who is now being touted as a possible All-ACC player. Go Deacs!!

Unless you land a well-regarded 4* or 5*, it really is a crapshoot how the player turns out in college. KJ was a 2* and turned out to be one of our best DB's ever. Serigne, probably our best offensive player this year and one of the top underclassmen TE's in the nation, was a 2* and 5.4 on rivals. Meanwhile Tyler Cameron just never seemed to have it and was a top 10 dual-threat coming out of high school. I'm not as concerned with the stars/rankings because 90% of what players turn out to be is based off of the conditioning and development once they get here, and the success this staff has had in developing guys so far has been clear, particularly in the weight room.

Can we not get into this argument again? Please?

Yes, conditioning and development matters. At no point, though, does having a lower ranking increase the probability for success. Ratings still matter in the macro, even at lower tiers.

but this staff has shown a propensity to target guys who have later blown up.

Rankings are important in their own right, development is important in its own right. End.

Can we not get into this argument again? Please?

Yes, conditioning and development matters. At no point, though, does having a lower ranking increase the probability for success. Ratings still matter in the macro, even at lower tiers.

I don't think anyone was saying having a lower rating leads to a higher probability of success. Simply that it's very hard to predict if a 3* guy actually is going to be a contributor until they get on campus and start working

I don't think anyone was saying having a lower rating leads to a higher probability of success. Simply that it's very hard to predict if a 3* guy actually is going to be a contributor until they get on campus and start working
Check out epic derailments on past recruiting threads if you want to see where everyone stands on the matter. It's been discussed to death.

The coaches have far more invested in recruiting than any fan. Their ability to compete on Saturdays, their coaching reputations and their incomes are (or should be) tied directly to the quality of their players and teams. Unless a staff has become fat and lazy, it will work tirelessly to bring in the very best players they possibly can.

Thus far, and it's very early, this staff seems to be doing an excellent job given the hand they were dealt.

By "the coaches," you mean this particular staff, right? I don't think that's true of coaches in general. There are half-asses in any job, including college football coaches. Dedicated fans by definition aren't half-ass fans.

Rankings are important in their own right, development is important in its own right. End.

AMEN! And good coaching has tomake up for deficiencies in both. Remember that our last two highest ranked signees, (Uter and Archibald) won't play for us. We'll survive.

There have been a few signs this week that the class may have a few spots left. One was Scheier’s “if you have an offer you need to get on campus, if you don’t have one you need to come to camp” tweet. The other signs came from the DT position:

We finally got a new article on Sulaiman Kamara (Richmond, VA) this week, and there was some good news. Kamara said that Wake Forest, Penn State and UNC were recruiting him the hardest. The article also acknowledges that it was written before Penn State went on their big run of DT commitments. I had long suspected that Duke was the odds-on favorite for Kamara, but it appears the Blue Devils may be looking at other options for their last few spots. So this may be a Wake-UNC head-to-head battle. Kamara attended the Fedora Freak Show camp at UNC and said he is planning a visit to Wake later this summer. (Note that his recruitment may be placed on hold for a while following the sudden passing of his father shortly before the July 4th holiday. Prayers certainly go out to Sulaiman and his family.)

I noticed that DT Jordan Jackson (The Bolles School / Jacksonville, FL) has been tweeting pictures of all of the mailings that I thought were reserved for Wake’s top targets. That’s interesting because Jackson doesn’t appear to have an offer from Wake. He tweets out all his offers, and his biggest ones to date are Georgia Southern, Navy and App State. He camped at Wake on June 17.

Putting those two pieces of info together leads me to speculate that the plan might be to add a DT to this class with Jackson potentially being the backup plan for Kamara.

Other Updates:

CB Korey Banks was surprisingly candid about his desire to “reserve a spot” at one school this summer while he continues to look at his options this fall. Reading between the lines, I think he likes the Midwest schools but might not be able to get up there until official visits start. Banks visited Wake last month and included the Deacs in his Top 6. If he does make the “reserve” move this month look for him to commit to UNC – possibly as early as this weekend. Banks is a “mid” 3-star (5.6) on Rivals.

WR Phil Patterson says there are 3 schools in his top 6 that he wants to visit this summer: Penn State, UNC and Virginia Tech. That’s bad news for Wake, but I will continue to keep an eye on Patterson because I don’t see an obvious landing spot for him. My understanding is that he is legitimately in the mix at a number of schools, but more as a Plan B than a top target. He continues to at least mention Wake in his interviews. Patterson is Rivals #86 WR in the country.

Some key dates coming up:
July 12 – Last day of dead period
July 17 – Friday Night Lights Camp (last camp for 2016 class)
July 18 – Rising Underclassman Camp (main camp for 2017 class)
July 31 – Traveon Redd commitment date

Great info, 94. Thanks a ton, man.

Last edited:
Back