• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

I couldn’t find much more info on Lukas Masterson. Very under-the-radar recruit. Other than Iowa State, he didn’t have too many P5 schools following him on Twitter. Junior recruiting assistants from both Boston College and UNC. That was it. I did learn that he camped at Boston College in June but did not receive an offer. It doesn’t seem like he ever attended a Nike or Rivals camp, so I would treat any 40 time that you hear with skepticism.

Masterson was another commit that the staff declined to acknowledge on Twitter. If they aren’t excited about him, I assume we shouldn’t be either.

I think it is interesting that Traveon Redd has not received any new Crystal Balls recently. Will this decision continue to look like a Wake-Vandy toss-up all the way to Saturday?

Syracuse Rivals has gone on record saying that they expect Moe Neal to end up at Syracuse. That makes the overall prediction count: Syracuse 2, Wake Forest 0. I most definitely have not given up hope though. If he picks Syracuse, I would think it would be based heavily on the Robert Washington factor.

If you are on Twitter, I’m sure dropping a quick “Go Deacs” or “Think Wake” to Redd or Neal wouldn’t hurt. I know the size of Syracuse’s Twitter fanbase was a factor that Neal has mentioned. Whether it matters at all to Redd I’m not sure.

Makes me wonder if the Masterson thing is grayshirt thing potentially or a preferred walkon.

Scout's top regional writer believes Neal is still torn between Wake and 'Cuse. He declined to make a prediction.

I couldn’t find much more info on Lukas Masterson. Very under-the-radar recruit. Other than Iowa State, he didn’t have too many P5 schools following him on Twitter. Junior recruiting assistants from both Boston College and UNC. That was it. I did learn that he camped at Boston College in June but did not receive an offer. It doesn’t seem like he ever attended a Nike or Rivals camp, so I would treat any 40 time that you hear with skepticism.

Masterson was another commit that the staff declined to acknowledge on Twitter. If they aren’t excited about him, I assume we shouldn’t be either.

I think it is interesting that Traveon Redd has not received any new Crystal Balls recently. Will this decision continue to look like a Wake-Vandy toss-up all the way to Saturday?

Syracuse Rivals has gone on record saying that they expect Moe Neal to end up at Syracuse. That makes the overall prediction count: Syracuse 2, Wake Forest 0. I most definitely have not given up hope though. If he picks Syracuse, I would think it would be based heavily on the Robert Washington factor.

If you are on Twitter, I’m sure dropping a quick “Go Deacs” or “Think Wake” to Redd or Neal wouldn’t hurt. I know the size of Syracuse’s Twitter fanbase was a factor that Neal has mentioned. Whether it matters at all to Redd I’m not sure.

The lack of acknowledging makes me think of that USC blueshirting piece.

There is another option in addition to greyshirting and blueshirting that has been rumored for some recruits in the 2015 cycle. Discuss with the family that the player may need to walk-on for a semester, depending on scholarship availability. Kind of a greyshirt with a walk-on semester.

No idea if that would be a possibility for Masterson.

ETA: Note that the local newspaper article said that Wake coaches visited Masterson's high school in May. That might make him ineligible to be blueshirted. Not sure. But whether or not a thinly disguised tweet was directed his way wouldn't seem to have an impact.

Last edited:
My question is why are we offering kids that the staff might not be psyched about? I understand they could be backups, but whether or not we came after Masterson now or in 3 months i don't think makes much of a difference. Even if he committed elsewhere, if an ACC school comes offering him in November and he's committed to CCU or App, there's a high chance he switches right then and there just like Jacquez Williams did. Even if he doesn't switch, it's not like we aren't going to be able to find another 2* (That Masterson is) to fill that scholarship as a last resort

My question is why are we offering kids that the staff might not be psyched about? I understand they could be backups, but whether or not we came after Masterson now or in 3 months i don't think makes much of a difference. Even if he committed elsewhere, if an ACC school comes offering him in November and he's committed to CCU or App, there's a high chance he switches right then and there just like Jacquez Williams did. Even if he doesn't switch, it's not like we aren't going to be able to find another 2* (That Masterson is) to fill that scholarship as a last resort

Who is going to come along? The staff's MO is that if they can't land a top target they want their top guy from the camp season rather than going deeper into the talent pool. Masterson was apparently the top guy at camp. Outside of the Rivals 250, recruiting is largely wrapping up this month. Assume that Masterson didn't take Redd's spot. Maybe they've given up on Myles Dorn, which makes sense. Jarrett Cole has basically eliminated Wake (or the staff eliminated him, which is entirely possible). They haven't been involved with other safeties in a long time.

I agree that they should have been able to flip him from App State or wherever, but why not spare themselves the hassle?

sounds like they need to get some better guys at camp then. losing Neal to Syracuse would be a disaster for this staff imo

sounds like they need to get some better guys at camp then. losing Neal to Syracuse would be a disaster for this staff imo

Agreed with your statement about camp. That will only come with winning though.

Losing Neal to 'Cuse would hurt, but I don't think it would be a disaster. We do need to keep the Orange out of NC though. There's zero reason for a kid to choose that school if he has offers from in-state schools.

He really wants to stay home in NC too. Which would be another kick in the crotch if we lose him to Cuse.

I agree that we could have picked up Masterson later...I don't want to lose spots that could go to the likes of Kamara, Anchrum, Redd and Brown. Hope Moe picks the Deacs!

I agree that we could have picked up Masterson later...I don't want to lose spots that could go to the likes of Kamara, Anchrum, Redd and Brown. Hope Moe picks the Deacs!

We can't figure all this out, because the coaches won't tell us. Last year we had Wilson and Benzinger as gray shirts. The Wilson enrolled early and both were issued numbers. Freudenthal was a walk on that acted like a signee. We don't know what players won't be back in '16, but I can't see them pulling a Patrino and over signing.

There is another option in addition to greyshirting and blueshirting that has been rumored for some recruits in the 2015 cycle. Discuss with the family that the player may need to walk-on for a semester, depending on scholarship availability. Kind of a greyshirt with a walk-on semester.

No idea if that would be a possibility for Masterson.

ETA: Note that the local newspaper article said that Wake coaches visited Masterson's high school in May. That might make him ineligible to be blueshirted. Not sure. But whether or not a thinly disguised tweet was directed his way wouldn't seem to have an impact.

Blueshirts can not be "officially" recruited. This is defined as 1. No official school visit 2. No in home visits by the coaching staff 3. No letter of intent

Visiting the high school by coaches, sending mailings, taking unofficial game visits, texting & talking to coaches, attending camps etc ... is allowed and the player can still blueshirt.

I have got to say, a NC recruit who is down to us and Syracuse and is holding a hat picking to decide? I can't imagine a kid choosing between Syracuse and any of the other NC ACC programs and choosing Syracuse. Doing that in our state would be a huge diss to me and would be kicking Clawson in the groin in public. I really hope this goes our way.

Did I miss the story about Clawson pulling a scholarship offer because the recruit told his mother to shut up during the in home visit? This was just mentioned on all al sports radio in Columbia.

Masterson reminds me so much of a taller Ryan Janvion. Both 2 stars db, South Fla. 185 lbs. I went back and read the coaches comments on Ryan and it appears they were very similar. I have high expectation for Lukas at Wake.

g

Did I miss the story about Clawson pulling a scholarship offer because the recruit told his mother to shut up during the in home visit? This was just mentioned on all al sports radio in Columbia.

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN
.@CoachClawson pulled offer when recruit told his mom to “shut up” during home visit. “We don’t want that type of player in our program"

:thumbsup::cool:

Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN
.@CoachClawson pulled offer when recruit told his mom to “shut up” during home visit. “We don’t want that type of player in our program"

Hallelujah! Love this man!

It's funny how perceptions develop. In general, the best players at Wake's camps have offers from Georgia Southern, App State or Marshall. They are trying to break into P5. If Moe Neal didn't have offers from Syracuse and Wake Forest, he would likely be looking at that same tier of schools (especially App State and Georgia Southern). The difference is that, at one point, schools further up the food chain recruited Neal. I admit that influences my perception as well.

I will be disappointed if we don't get Neal. I've been following his recruitment closely for over a year. He is reported to be a very good, very likeable kid. I love the see the wins in the home state. But I don't view him as a program changer. I also understand how tight he is with 'Cuse commit Robert Washington. They are very, very close. 'Cuse fans have also done a great job on Twitter. It seems like there are hundreds of them, and they've been doing crazy stuff like editing video tributes to him on YouTube for months.

He really wants to stay home in NC too. Which would be another kick in the crotch if we lose him to Cuse.
So in other words he really doesn't like Wake that much, but it's his best option anywhere within 500 miles from home? Ugh....

Back