• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

Back up plan for UNC if they miss on Dexter Lawrence or Marlon Dunlap.

It was brought to my attention that my scholarship chart didn't have Zimmer's ESPN rating on there. I've corrected the mistake (he's 3*/75 there).

w0WmnoX.png

Amazing work! Thank you

A few updates and other thoughts:

Wake target Larry Collins is up to 20 catches for 372 yards and 5 TD’s through his first 2 games. You can check out his early season highlights here: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3114931/larry-collins-

Wake remains the odds-on favorite to land both Larry Collins and Sulaiman Kamara. In my opinion the biggest threat to Wake’s chances would be a new school entering the mix for either one. The fact that neither has committed to date gives the impression that they aren’t satisfied with their current options, so I haven’t found myself getting overly confident.

I’m a little worried about that Vandy offer to Jamauri Wakefield. I posted a while back that he was a guy that I thought could be at risk more than the others in the class. It can’t help that Wake’s depth chart has 3 true freshmen competing for the #1 RB spot. Wakefield is definitely a guy that I want Wake to hold onto though. I’ve spent some time on the Vandy boards over the last several months and every second thread seems to touch on their frustration that they can’t seem to recruit decent running backs.

I saw that Wake Rivals tweeted that people should subscribe to that website for great information “without petty message board drama”. I assume Les was referring to the Scout board. I’ve never considered the drama on this board to be petty :)

Elysee Mbem-Bosse has slowed things down a little. It sounds like Auburn is not pressuring him to commit. He now plans to take all five official visits – most likely to Auburn, Michigan, N.C. State, USC and Wake, however Ohio State seems to be entering the picture as well.

Scout is reporting that West Forsyth’s Darion Slade is down to App State, Wake Forest and West Virginia. Slade’s Wake offer dates back to May 2014. West Virginia’s dates back to February 2014. He has received little new interest since those offers. I can’t see Wake taking a third slot receiver in this class (especially after taking 2 last year). I’ve thought for the past few months that App State would be the landing spot for him. Look for him to choose Appy “over” Wake and WVU.

There have been a few questions on this board about scholarship availability. I’m close to giving up on trying to figure that out. This class already seems maxed out scholarship-wise, so those questions are difficult to answer. The staff either has a number of greyshirt possibilities lined up or they are willing to cut very deep into the rising 5th year senior class if necessary.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.

A few updates and other thoughts:

Wake target Larry Collins is up to 20 catches for 372 yards and 5 TD’s through his first 2 games. You can check out his early season highlights here: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3114931/larry-collins-

Wake remains the odds-on favorite to land both Larry Collins and Sulaiman Kamara. In my opinion the biggest threat to Wake’s chances would be a new school entering the mix for either one. The fact that neither has committed to date gives the impression that they aren’t satisfied with their current options, so I haven’t found myself getting overly confident.

I’m a little worried about that Vandy offer to Jamauri Wakefield. I posted a while back that he was a guy that I thought could be at risk more than the others in the class. It can’t help that Wake’s depth chart has 3 true freshmen competing for the #1 RB spot. Wakefield is definitely a guy that I want Wake to hold onto though. I’ve spent some time on the Vandy boards over the last several months and every second thread seems to touch on their frustration that they can’t seem to recruit decent running backs.

I saw that Wake Rivals tweeted that people should subscribe to that website for great information “without petty message board drama”. I assume Les was referring to the Scout board. I’ve never considered the drama on this board to be petty 

Elysee Mbem-Bosse has slowed things down a little. It sounds like Auburn is not pressuring him to commit. He now plans to take all five official visits – most likely to Auburn, Michigan, N.C. State, USC and Wake, however Ohio State seems to be entering the picture as well.

Scout is reporting that West Forsyth’s Darion Slade is down to App State, Wake Forest and West Virginia. Slade’s Wake offer dates back to May 2014. West Virginia’s dates back to February 2014. He has received little new interest since those offers. I can’t see Wake taking a third slot receiver in this class (especially after taking 2 last year). I’ve thought for the past few months that App State would be the landing spot for him. Look for him to choose Appy “over” Wake and WVU.

There have been a few questions on this board about scholarship availability. I’m close to giving up on trying to figure that out. This class already seems maxed out scholarship-wise, so those questions are difficult to answer. The staff either has a number of greyshirt possibilities lined up or they are willing to cut very deep into the rising 5th year senior class if necessary.
Funny stuff, Deac94.
Two quick points:
1) This is a great thread and you do fantastic work
2) Completely agree with your assessment on many of these targets, especially Slade.

I tried to poke fun at the jab Les took at the Scout board (presumably). My fault for not being funny. Sheesh.

I would agree that trying to guess at the scholarship count for the next class is next to impossible. There are too many factors that only the coaches know and control. From grayshirt conversations, to academic performance, to personality conflicts, to unexpected substance problems, to legal problems, to lack of effort, to homesick/family problems, to injury & to just can't/won't perform on the field. It is a very difficult juggling job that the coaches must accomplish.

That being said, one certainty is that no early enrollees for January 2016 will count back against the 2015 cycle. 2015 was complete with 25 enrollees.

I updated the OP in this thread to add summary info on Donald Stewart. I also added all of the updated charts from RSF. Great work from him once again.

That being said, one certainty is that no early enrollees for January 2016 will count back against the 2015 cycle. 2015 was complete with 25 enrollees.

Uhhh, you sure about this? The 2015 class had 22 players by my count (not including Garrett Wilson, who's walking on for his first year), and a few of those counted against 2014 thanks to early enrollees. I'd say we could roll back at least 4-5 2016 players to the 2015 count if necessary, but I don't think we'll be pushing 25 players in this class, anyway, so I guess it's irrelevant.

Uhhh, you sure about this? The 2015 class had 22 players by my count (not including Garrett Wilson, who's walking on for his first year), and a few of those counted against 2014 thanks to early enrollees. I'd say we could roll back at least 4-5 2016 players to the 2015 count if necessary, but I don't think we'll be pushing 25 players in this class, anyway, so I guess it's irrelevant.

Counting scholarships gets incredibly tricky when the rules are unclear. My comment was based off the staff saying that they awarded 25 scholarships in 2015, 22 freshman & 3 Post Grads. I do believe that they expected to roll some early enrollees back to 2014 because for more 2015 commitments. When the guys they wanted didn't commit there wasn't a need to roll anyone back. Also in the mix is the possibility to roll guys forward a year with blue shirting. Now my head hurts & I need a drink.

So the 2015 class had 22 plus three post grads for the 25 total. If 2 were counted against 2014

Counting scholarships gets incredibly tricky when the rules are unclear. My comment was based off the staff saying that they awarded 25 scholarships in 2015, 22 freshman & 3 Post Grads. I do believe that they expected to roll some early enrollees back to 2014 because for more 2015 commitments. When the guys they wanted didn't commit there wasn't a need to roll anyone back. Also in the mix is the possibility to roll guys forward a year with blue shirting. Now my head hurts & I need a drink.

So the 2015 class had 22 plus three post grads for the 25 total. If 2 were counted against 2014

Ha. Alright, didn't realize the PGs counted as well. That makes sense.

I think they're able to retroactively roll back the classifications, so if they end up needing guys this year, I think they can go back and tinker with the 2015 numbers. I also don't know why you wouldn't just roll back everybody you possibly can, whether you think you'll need the scholarships or not, but I might be unclear on the ramifications of doing so.

I haven't seen anything about Chrishon Springs-OLB from East Forsyth '16. Wake started recruiting him pretty hard this summer...along with Clemson, SC, GT, and App.

Some 2016 commits had big nights last night:

Cade Carney has been putting up monster numbers this season. It has really been against some weak private school competition but - like Wake against Elon - he is doing exactly what you would have hoped against that level of opponent. He piled up 265 yards on the ground yesterday, capped off by an 88-yard run for his 3rd TD of the evening.

Greg Dortch had a quiet night yardage-wise, but found the end zone three times including 2 TDs rushing.

Safety Lukas Masterson had a 23 yard pick 6.

S/LB Jacquez Williams posted footage of a touchdown that he scored playing RB. I have seen tape of a couple of his offensive TDs this year and frankly he looks like a man competing against boys. I don't know anything about the quality of the opponents he has been playing against, but his size, speed and athleticism certainly stand out.

I haven't seen anything about Chrishon Springs-OLB from East Forsyth '16. Wake started recruiting him pretty hard this summer...along with Clemson, SC, GT, and App.

His Twitter follows don't show any connection to those schools. He looks like he is solidly in the N.C. Central, Western Carolina, Coastal Carolina tier.

Very little in the way of player info/stats this week beyond what 94 posted already.

Emmanuel Walker and Lake Marion won 22-8

Taleni Suhren and Audrey Kell won 56-14

Johnny Ray and Wando lost 34-28

Je'vionte Nash and Oaklaf rolled 44-7

Jeremiah Brown had 8 catches for 67 yards in a 14-7 loss to Ledford.

Malik Grate had 2 catches for 23 yards in a 41-0 blowout

Brandon Chapman and Grove City won 14-11

Essang Bassey and Columbus shutout Brookstone 21-0

Laronde Liverpool and Landstown rallied to win 21-13

Dom Maggio had two FGs for Boys Latin's only points of the game in a 28-6 loss to Loyola Blakefield.

His Twitter follows don't show any connection to those schools. He looks like he is solidly in the N.C. Central, Western Carolina, Coastal Carolina tier.

Yeah- and his 247 doesn't indicate anything, either, but his coaches say different. Maybe they're trying to build him up.

Back