• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
The quotes from 1995 Panthers were hilarious. None of them had any idea.

That article definitely got me in the mood to hate watch Wednesday's game.

2011: Panthers fire horrible GM Marty Hurney

2012-2016: Panthers hire amazing GM Gettleman, get out of cap hell, win three NFCS titles, one NFC championship, and have one Super Bowl appearance.

2017: Panthers fire amazing GM Gettleman, re-hire horrible GM Hurney.

2018-2053: Panthers, having shown no goddamn micron of sense, have spent $192 billion dollars on 3 players, won 2 games (one after robot Tom Brady’s 2032 whole season forfeiture for having an illegal cannon instead of an arm) and are the permanent 34th place NFL team, under the London Jaguars, Mexico City MS13's, and the Cleveland Browns. Despite winning only two games, the Panthers have never drafted in the first three rounds, because goddamn moron Hurney, named GM for life by a dying, senile Jerry Richardson, has traded every 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick for Tim Tebow’s contract rights, should he decide to leave the Space Christians base on Mars and return to football. Cam Newton’s family’s lawsuit against the Panthers, for negligent homicide after not fielding any offensive linemen at all from 2018-2021, has been dropped by the supreme court for reasons of insanity.

I’m out, I’m not sticking in this abusive relationship of a team.

I mean this is just absolutely fantastic.

It sucks being in the position of wanting the owner to drop dead so the organization could potentially get past his philosophy but then also not wanting him to drop dead because there is a good chance that will result in the team leaving Charlotte

Yeah. It's a weird dynamic. I root for the Panthers because I'm from NC. But I've been away from NC as a Panthers fan longer than I was there. So why should I care where the franchise is located? I'm not there.

The Panthers could move just like any other franchise that goes through ownership or stadium change. But I don't see how it's super likely. The franchise has done very well in a growing area and pulls fans from the entirety of the Carolinas, which adds up to a whole heckua lot of people.

Seems like a silly thing to worry about. Especially when I'm sure JR will make sure any condition of the team changing hands will include keeping it here

if you could combine hurney and g-man you'd have an excellent GM. G-man put us in self-imposed cap hell by refusing to give extensions to our best players and not spending a dime on any free agents besides one of the worst tackles in the league. that dude got way too full of himself. Kept trading away draft picks to move up a couple spots for bad players and traded away a 4th for a fucking punter because the arrogant bastard thought that was the only hole on a 6-10 team

If you combine Hurney and G-man, you get gurney.

Panthers drafted one of the best quarterbacks to play the position and haven't been able to have back 2 back winning seasons.

Part of me is talking myself into us being in a Goldilocks period. We still have GMan's ability to identify talent with Hurney's ability to keep the talent happy. This will be a moot point in 2018 when Hurney gives Stewart an extension with $40m guaranteed.

I assumed he meant one of the best in his generation which would be true.

The headline I saw suggested this was his first throwing action in days.

It's not worth worrying about. He'll be for Week 1.

i bet he plays 1st quarter of preseason g2, 1st half of preseason g3, doesn't play g4, starts week 1 as long as he doesn't reinjure himself in a game like when he cracked a rib against the Patriots in the preseason when he was already dealing with ankle rehab a few years ago.

The headline I saw suggested this was his first throwing action in days.

It's not worth worrying about. He'll be for Week 1.

He's thrown to trainer previous two practices. Today he was throwing to trainer and Samuel on the jog

if you could combine hurney and g-man you'd have an excellent GM. G-man put us in self-imposed cap hell by refusing to give extensions to our best players and not spending a dime on any free agents besides one of the worst tackles in the league. that dude got way too full of himself. Kept trading away draft picks to move up a couple spots for bad players and traded away a 4th for a fucking punter because the arrogant bastard thought that was the only hole on a 6-10 team

Never understood the obsession with trading away later-round picks. Usually those guys amount to nothing anyway. Of all the things to harp on the Andy Lee trade is an odd crusade.

Also, I guess "refusing to give extensions to our best players" must mean that Cam, Short, Kuechley, Olsen, Ryan Kalil and Turner (by all accounts that deal was done when Hurney walked in, since he finished it the next day) aren't among our best players.

Who besides Norman -- an obvious error by Gman, not in how he played hardball but in parting with him when we did -- did we actually let leave scot free? I guess one could argue Gross but not sure exactly how that went down and he wasn't exactly young

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back