• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017-18 Men's College Basketball Thread (NWT)

Since the turn of the Century, WF played in the ACC semis in:

2002: Josh Howard was a JR; Darius Songalia was a SR. WF lost to Duke 79-64 (that Duke team was #1 in the country and won the ACC Tourney, but lost to Indiana in the round of 16; WF was #7 seed in the NCAAs and lost to Oregon in the 2nd round)

2003: Josh Howard was a SR (Gray and Williams were freshman). WF won the ACC regular season, but the Deacs were upset by State in the semis. WF was a 2 seed in the NCAAs, and was upset by 10 seed Auburn in the 2nd round)

2006: Gray and Williams were seniors; Harvey Hale was a frosh. The only great ACC Tourney run for WF in the last 20+ years. WF finished DFL in the ACC - 12th. WF upset #5 seed Florida State in the opening round; then upset #4 seed NC State in the quarters. WF played #1 seed and #2 in the nation Duke in the semis, WF lost 78-66. Duke went on to win the ACC tourney. WF went to the NIT and lost in the opening round at Minnesota.

Think the win might allow Mark Fox to keep his job. Maybe he keeps his 2019 class intact and stays at UGA. UGA probably has unrealistic expectations for their program, they've never been that good. He keeps them around 20 wins most years.

Think the win might allow Mark Fox to keep his job. Maybe he keeps his 2019 class intact and stays at UGA. UGA probably has unrealistic expectations for their program, they've never been that good. He keeps them around 20 wins most years.

That he's still there suggests there expectations probably aren't too crazy.

Not many coaches can last that long with a high water mark of 21 wins.

Hopefully the ACC realizes the 2019 and 2020 tourneys are better and keeps it in NC. Makes no sense to be in Brooklyn other than to appease Cuse and BC, nontraditional ACC teams.

it's not in NYC to appease syracuse and BC. give me a break.

it's not in NYC to appease syracuse and BC. give me a break.

Yes, I suppose the real reason is $, but I fail to see what Barclays does to raise revenues over say, Time Warner in Charlotte where more fans could make the trip. Though I suppose the Duke fanbase is the same in both cities, for other schools the alumni base is less likely to be there.

Yes, I suppose the real reason is $, but I fail to see what Barclays does to raise revenues over say, Time Warner in Charlotte where more fans could make the trip. Though I suppose the Duke fanbase is the same in both cities, for other schools the alumni base is less likely to be there.

NYC is about appearance of prestige for ESPN consumption. MSG would be better, but ACC wasn't ready to bend over quite like the B1G and do the tournament early. Next best option was regular week, only at the Barclay Center.

This is the first time I’ve seen Miami play. They got some fatties.

Have you ever heard him call a carolina game before, or the amount of love and support he gave them publicly during their “scandal?”

2002: Josh Howard was a JR; Darius Songalia was a SR. WF lost to Duke 79-64 (that Duke team was #1 in the country and won the ACC Tourney, but lost to Indiana in the round of 16; WF was #7 seed in the NCAAs and lost to Oregon in the 2nd round)

2003: Josh Howard was a SR (Gray and Williams were freshman). WF won the ACC regular season, but the Deacs were upset by State in the semis. WF was a 2 seed in the NCAAs, and was upset by 10 seed Auburn in the 2nd round)

2006: Gray and Williams were seniors; Harvey Hale was a frosh. The only great ACC Tourney run for WF in the last 20+ years. WF finished DFL in the ACC - 12th. WF upset #5 seed Florida State in the opening round; then upset #4 seed NC State in the quarters. WF played #1 seed and #2 in the nation Duke in the semis, WF lost 78-66. Duke went on to win the ACC tourney. WF went to the NIT and lost in the opening round at Minnesota.

I remember watching that '06 game absolutely obliterated. It was the day of a St. Patty's street festival in Arlington, VA and the fact that we were playing Duke (and kept it close for much of the game) made it that much easier to get hammered.

Have you ever heard him call a carolina game before, or the amount of love and support he gave them publicly during their “scandal?”

Bashing the NCAA and supporting UNC-CH aren't really the same thing.

That he's still there suggests there expectations probably aren't too crazy.

Not many coaches can last that long with a high water mark of 21 wins.

LOL. Maybe you should take a closer look at mark Fox's performance over the past nine years and compare it to Wake basketball. The Dawgs will be playing in the NCAA tournament or NIT for the fifth straight year. Realistically though, Georgia basketball isn't going anywhere until the stop pouring money into Stegeman and build a new arena.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in 2002-03, didn't we just have to win 1 game to get to the semis? Finishing high up in a conference and winning only 1 tourney game isn't the most impressive thing on earth. Not sure why, but I had completely forgotten about that 2006 mini-run, which was pretty impressive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in 2002-03, didn't we just have to win 1 game to get to the semis? Finishing high up in a conference and winning only 1 tourney game isn't the most impressive thing on earth. Not sure why, but I had completely forgotten about that 2006 mini-run, which was pretty impressive.

Finishing high in the conference would be impressive.

Correct. WF finished 1st in the regular season in 2002-3 at 13-3. WF managed to beat FSU in the quarters (FSU finished 9th, DFL, in the ACC that year at 4-12, but they beat Clemson in the play in game). WF then lost to State (ACC #4 seed 9-7 in conference) in the semi's.

ACC Standings in 2002-3:

Rank

School

W

L

Win %

1 Wake Forest 13 3 .813
2 Maryland 11 5 .688
3 Duke 11 5 .688
4 NC State 9 7 .563
5 Georgia Tech 7 9 .438
6 Virginia 6 10 .275
7 North Carolina 6 10 .275
8 Clemson 5 11 .313
9 Florida State 4 12 .250

Seems like a long time ago, but yes, losing in the ACC Semifinals was a huge disappointment that year.

Back