• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Matta out at Ohio State)

NCSU fans going to sit back and laugh at everyone else doing a coaching search this time around. This will be fun

Why is Will Wade a hot commodity?

Given the level that program had reached under Shaka, don't see Wade having accomplished that much to have Power V schools fighting over him. IMO, Brownell is a better coach.

He did a nice job building up Chattanooga before jumping to VCU. Whether that and maintaining VCU's level is good enough to warrant the attention is debatable though, I'd agree

If you want a 34 year old head coach with back to back NCAA appearances with 4 years of head coaching experience there aren't many options.

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Crean out at Indiana)

Why is Will Wade a hot commodity?

Given the level that program had reached under Shaka, don't see Wade having accomplished that much to have Power V schools fighting over him. IMO, Brownell is a better coach.

Well, he isn't that hot of a commodity. Only tier two jobs are looking at him. But his turnaround at UTC was semi comparable to Keatts turnaround of UNCW. In his two seasons he won 40 games compared to 24 his predecessor won in his last two seasons.

At VCU he has maintained the very high level of the program and is recruiting at a high level (which he also did at Harvard of all places). And he's all of 34 years old.

Brownell might be a better coach in a pure sense, but he is not as good of a total package and doesn't have the upside. Also his resume at date of hire was not as good. He basically maintained UNCW at the same level as Wainwright, did a comparable turnaround to Wade's UTC job at Wright State, and had no high level recruiting experience.

It will be very interesting to compare and contrast Keatts, Wade, and Underwood. They are different candidates but once you weigh all the variables they are very similar.

I would still take Keatts, but of the four names I mentioned earlier (Collins, Wade, Muller, Kelsey), I would take Wade's upside everyday.

And, for Clemson, he really wants to be there and wouldn't leave them like Barnes and Purcell did.

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Crean out at Indiana)

Alford to Indiana would be great from my perspective because I would love the chaos of UCLA being open, but it would be a terrible hire. Up until this year his results have been very Crean-esque, this year has been one time confluence of talent (likely bought talent btw), experience, and a shit league, and he is also a well established dirt bag.

Alford to Indiana would be great from my perspective because I would love the chaos of UCLA being open, but it would be a terrible hire. Up until this year his results have been very Crean-esque, this year has been one time confluence of talent (likely bought talent btw), experience, and a shit league, and he is also a well established dirt bag.

Agreed. IU better be careful what they wish for, wouldn't surprise me at all for them to end up with someone that isn't as good a coach as Crean is all things considered.

With no games until Thursday, the coaching carousel is all I have for the next few days. Hope it gets weird.

Wonder if Crean and/or Gottfried will end up elsewhere in this cycle, or if they take a year off to do TV.

Too bad UCLA won last night. I can't wait to see what they do once Alford goes to IU.

With no games until Thursday, the coaching carousel is all I have for the next few days. Hope it gets weird.

Wonder if Crean and/or Gottfried will end up elsewhere in this cycle, or if they take a year off to do TV.

Too bad UCLA won last night. I can't wait to see what they do once Alford goes to IU.

I can't imagine anybody hiring Gottfried again this year. I would be fairly shocked if he ever got back into coaching.

Has Oklahoma State called about Danny Manning yet?

Other than money (which we could match), why would go to OK State? At best it's a lateral move and he'd have to start over.

I'm guessing the first calls from UCLA will go to Archie and Billy D.

Agreed. IU better be careful what they wish for, wouldn't surprise me at all for them to end up with someone that isn't as good a coach as Crean is all things considered.

IU's AD said he fired Crean because of Crean's inconsistent performance. While there are influential boosters pushing for Alford, it hardly makes sense to hire someone with a long track record of inconsistency. Alford's handling of the Pierre Pierce sexual assault case while at Iowa weighs against him as well.

The big question on the IU boards is whether or not Billy Donovan can be tempted to return to the college game. With Durant gone, and Westbrook able to opt out in a year, there is some belief that Donovan might listen to IU. Some message board warriors are claiming that it's a done deal, but this move still strikes me as unlikely.

My view is that if Donovan can't be had, IU should go all in on Greg Marshall. His record speaks for itself.

Other than money (which we could match), why would go to OK State? At best it's a lateral move and he'd have to start over.

I was making a (dumb) joke that attempted to play on Manning's deep roots in the Tulsa, Oklahoma community coupled with the tremendous success that he has had at Wake Forest. Not to mention that Oklahoma State was all offense, no defense this season... Would be easy to implement his "system."

Any AD needed a top coach for a basketball program, they should look no further than Mack. Look what he's done with Xavier. Absolute top program on a consistent basis. Also, kills it in March!

I was making a (dumb) joke that attempted to play on Manning's deep roots in the Tulsa, Oklahoma community coupled with the tremendous success that he has had at Wake Forest. Not to mention that Oklahoma State was all offense, no defense this season... Would be easy to implement his "system."

Unlike the majority, you understand that Danny's "system" for this year will likely be vastly different than future years. You and I understand that Danny took a look at our personnel and realized our only hope this season was to try to outscore the opponents. It was clear from the before the season started we were going to be abused defensively at SG,SF and, at times, PF. There was no amount of coaching that would change this. Add to this that it was absolutely critical to keep our best interior defender on the court for his outstanding offensive ability.

IU's AD said he fired Crean because of Crean's inconsistent performance. While there are influential boosters pushing for Alford, it hardly makes sense to hire someone with a long track record of inconsistency. Alford's handling of the Pierre Pierce sexual assault case while at Iowa weighs against him as well.

The big question on the IU boards is whether or not Billy Donovan can be tempted to return to the college game. With Durant gone, and Westbrook able to opt out in a year, there is some belief that Donovan might listen to IU. Some message board warriors are claiming that it's a done deal, but this move still strikes me as unlikely.

My view is that if Donovan can't be had, IU should go all in on Greg Marshall. His record speaks for itself.

Billy Donovan is the white whale of college coaches. It's a comedy trope to bring up his name in a college coaching search. I'm near certain that Donovan was offered the Indiana job when Kelvin Sampson was fired. I know he was offered the UK job; Billy Donovan has probably been offered every major college job that's come open since he won back-to-back at Florida.

Last edited:
Is the fact that Mack in a Xavier alum the reason he can't be had or does he just love the job and atmosphere of Cincinnati?

Did they give up on Brad Stevens?

Billy Donovan is the white whale of college coaches. It's damn near a comedy trope to bring up his name in a college coaching search. I'm damn near certain that Donovan was offered the Indiana job when Kelvin Sampson was fired. I know he was offered the UK job; Billy Donovan has probably been offered every major college job that's come open since he won back-to-back at Florida.

he's holding out for Wake. he won't turn us down twice!

Donovan may come to IU, but it won't be because of Westbrook leaving. The way the new CBA is set up makes it incredibly unlikely that he would leave. He would lose something like 20-50 million dollars on his next contract. If IU could get Donovan, Marshall, or Archie I think it would be a huge hire for them.

Back