• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel

I suspect he is one of several coaches who will play Tennessee for a raise.

Mike Gundy just interviewed for the Tennessee job. Would be a surprisingly strong hire, if they pull it off, and much better than Schiano, IMHO. They must be offering stupid money for him to consider leaving his alma mater.

The mullet puts him way ahead of the game at Tennessee too.

He's a man ! He's 50 now !

Agree that would be an amazing hire though. Mullen's spread and Gundy could turn SEC East games into track meets.

Last edited:
That wouldn't be a bad hire actually. He's one of their own and he has a solid NFL pedigree. They'd be better off going for a young coach than a retread anyway.

A lot of schools would be better off avoiding the retreads. That they don‘t just shows that people are more comfortable making the same old mistake than risk making a new one.

A lot of schools would be better off avoiding the retreads. That they don‘t just shows that people are more comfortable making the same old mistake than risk making a new one.

Well said.

Mike Gundy just interviewed for the Tennessee job. Would be a surprisingly strong hire, if they pull it off, and much better than Schiano, IMHO. They must be offering stupid money for him to consider leaving his alma mater.

Gundy would barely need to change his wardrobe

His mullet fits right in.

Has anyone turned down a school more than Cutcliffe with Tennessee? This is what, the third or maybe even fourth time?
Cutcliffe supposedly still holds a grudge about the way that Tennessee got rid of Phil Fulmer.

what a hideous color

Anybody else notice that some of the Duke asst. coaches wear that color on the sidelines? I assume either the offensive or defensive coaches wear that color so the players can find them easily from the field. For them to pick that color has to be Cut playing tribute to UT.

Tennessee actually is the second most profitable football program in the nation (or ~ top 5 depending on the year/source) so it wouldn't be surprising if they could offer some big number to sway a coach.

I saw something like possibly $8.4 million for Gundy or another higher level coach.

Tennessee actually is the second most profitable football program in the nation (or ~ top 5 depending on the year/source) so it wouldn't be surprising if they could offer some big number to sway a coach.

I saw something like possibly $8.4 million for Gundy or another higher level coach.

I am going by memory here so forgive me if I am wrong, but I think that those numbers are skewed by the fact that Tennessee's Athletic Department was in ridiculous debt ($200M+) for a bunch of years. To get out of the debt, the Athletic Department convinced the school to forego the annual payments that the Athletic Department is required to make into the school's general fund for several years to allow them to get back on their feet. At the same time, Tennessee instituted a ton of austerity measures that basically froze spending on any type of athletic facilities and slashed a ton of Athletic Department jobs. I think a lot of those measures are still in place (although I think that that the AD has started paying back into the general fund by now), which leads to a slightly inaccurate picture of Tennessee Athletic's actual financial position since I can't imagine that they are going to continue running understaffed and foregoing non-essential spending forever.

Gundy has been at Okie State forever. You'd think that he would jump to something better than Tennessee if he were ever to leave his alma mater.

Last edited:
They should either give Fisher a raise or fire him.

It would cost us almost 50 million to fire him however, he can leave and only owe us balance of assistants we dont retain (ie. 7mil). It's safe to say our law school sucks too. #worstcontractever

Back