• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel

If any of this is to be believed, let's say that Phil Fulmer becomes AD in the next week or so.... who are they going to bring in as a coach? They are scaring away all their candidates, and with other higher profile jobs available, there will be no one left, and will practically be BEGGING to anyone at that point.

Reports are that people inside UT Athletics, including Phil Fulmer were reaching out to prospective candidates and telling them not to come. Wild stuff. I feel bad for Currie here. He tried to hire the boosters' guy, was the fall guy for that, almost hired a great coach, and got canned because that's not who the boosters wanted.

Yeah, really bizarre stuff. Interesting situation when one of the top donors to a program is the father of a) the state governor and b) head of the board of trustees who also owns an NFL team.

the one who went 16-19 over his last 5 years vs. the Big East

Educate me on the successful head coaches at Rutgers before and after Greg Schiano. I'll remind you that the Big East had Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, and WVU for much of his tenure too.

And I really don't care one way or another about the Schiano hire or Schiano as a coach. He was Haslam's guy and they hired him. Idiot fans went full idiot because they probably can't pronounce his name. I have no idea if he'd be an amazing coach at Tennesse or not, but he's definitely better than whoever they're going to wind up hiring and Haslam will have to pay that guy too.

And, like I said before, Schiano will probably get a job somewhere else now.

Educate me on the successful head coaches at Rutgers before and after Greg Schiano. I'll remind you that the Big East had Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, and WVU for much of his tenure too.

thanks for the reminder !

I'll remind you that Schiano was offered a job in the SEC where he would play Bama, UGA and Florida annually

Sagarin football conference rankings, 2011-2007:

2011 Big East #5
2010 Big East #7 (Rutgers went 1-6 in conference)
2009 Big East #2 (Rutgers went 3-4)
2008 Big East #5
2007 Big East #4

average 4th or 5th best conference and always below the SEC

Seeing that Currie may be headed to Wazzu. So...can't bring Leach to you, you go to Leach?

Weird situation.

thanks for the reminder !

I'll remind you that Schiano was offered a job in the SEC where he would play Bama, UGA and Florida annually

Sagarin football conference rankings, 2011-2007:

2011 Big East #5
2010 Big East #7 (Rutgers went 1-6 in conference)
2009 Big East #2 (Rutgers went 3-4)
2008 Big East #5
2007 Big East #4

average 4th or 5th best conference and always below the SEC

It was Rutgers and it was a miracle.

Like I said, I don't give a shit about Schiano or Rutgers, but the fucking Tampa Bay Buccaneers hired him so it must have impressed someone at the time.

Schiano did a great job at Rutgers.

We are talking Rutgers football, which had not qualified for a bowl game since 1978 when Schiano took over in 2000; Rutgers football was a joke. After taking 4 years to build the program, Rutgers went to bowls 6 of his last 7 years at a non-football school. His 2006 team was ranked 7th in the nation in November, and finished 11-2. Rutgers' records over his last 6 years there was:

11-2
8-5
8-5
9-4
4-8
9-4

Schiano made Rutgers football relevant. After he left, the program collapsed and is now a joke again. Rutgers has had 8 football coaches since 1984. Schiano and Kyle Flood are the only 2 post winning records over the last 30+ years there, and Flood won with Schiano's players. Once Flood was left with his own recruits, he lost at Rutgers too. Schiano knows how to recruit, coach and win. He is a NJ kid through and through and can be brash and obnoxious, but he can coach.

It was Rutgers and it was a miracle.

Like I said, I don't give a shit about Schiano or Rutgers, but the fucking Tampa Bay Buccaneers hired him so it must have impressed someone at the time.

meh, 2006 was a miracle (except they didn't win their conference, so...)

since then a whole lot of meh (and MRSA)

and edited to add: looking at coaching records alone (including his time with the Bucs), in no way do I think Schiano should be the #1 pick for any program (hell, Currie's last pick of Leach was better)

also, whether Schiano was Currie's pick, the UT prez pick, Haslam's pick, whoever, the blowback associated with Schiano being named by McQueary in documents released recently HAD TO have been considered, and UT should have had a plan for confronting it; they did not and that reflects poorly on all involved

Last edited:
Can they fire him for cause? If so, he's going to lose out on $5.4 million. Some saying that his trip out to LA to interview Leach was "unauthorized". Who does the AD need authorization from to go interview a coach? The President/Chancellor? That would be absurd.

Good question. The only thing I can come up with is rather cynical:

Boosters, big donors, perhaps Board members in general may have some bad character flaws including any of these:
- egomaniacs
- assholes
- power trips
- lack diversity except for token/tokens
- alcoholism or similar
- elitism
- womanizing, or other
- lack boundaries
- presumptuous
- bullying, demanding, unrealistic
- spoiled, spend tens of thousands when they visit 4-5 times per year lavishly
- micro management, and lack trust in minions like Currie
- actually insecure and seek approval and pats on the back (kiss up to)

Presidents can be powerless vs. the above. They try but they make very little money compared to these real winners.

So I assume Currie was just trying to do his job and hit the buzzsaw or combination of the above by clueless person or persons whom do not fully understand how an AD needs to work in 2017 or trust him to do his job.

Just speculation on my part...

meh, 2006 was a miracle (except they didn't win their conference, so...)

since then a whole lot of meh (and MRSA)

and edited to add: looking at coaching records alone (including his time with the Bucs), in no way do I think Schiano should be the #1 pick for any program (hell, Currie's last pick of Leach was better)

also, whether Schiano was Currie's pick, the UT prez pick, Haslam's pick, whoever, the blowback associated with Schiano being named by McQueary in documents released recently HAD TO have been considered, and UT should have had a plan for confronting it; they did not and that reflects poorly on all involved

Yeah, they lost the conference to a really good Louisville team who they beat during the regular season. You’re really underestimated how hard it is to find any type of success coaching at Rutgers.

I remember a lot of grumbling on the Scout board about Schiano getting all the hype in 06 and no one talking about Grobe. But then Grobe won AP COY and in the OB we played the Louisville team that won Rutgers' conference.

Rutgers came super close to playing us -- 3OT loss @ a good WVU team the same day we won the ACCCG prevented it

If any of this is to be believed, let's say that Phil Fulmer becomes AD in the next week or so.... who are they going to bring in as a coach? They are scaring away all their candidates, and with other higher profile jobs available, there will be no one left, and will practically be BEGGING to anyone at that point.

Fulmer will just hire himself. Easy!

If you guys are tired of the Tenn stuff already the FSU/Jimbo stuff is just getting going...:popcorn:

Don't get the love affair with Taggart for FSU. I get he knows Florida, but they should be able to do better. Waaaay better.

Don't get the love affair with Taggart for FSU. I get he knows Florida, but they should be able to do better. Waaaay better.

I've heard the administration is really pushing the hiring of a minority coach, which puts it at Taggert, Sumlin, or Strong i'd think.

Fake tree.

I don't mean fake picture, I mean fake tree.

I'm assuming the little lights weren't twinkling and he's buying a new tree with all of that sweet A&M money.

Back