• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Let me stop you right here, chief. There's no guarantee he will actually play.

Yep. Totally agree, just disagree with the Budster declaring he "did [could] not want to compete in the ACC." Just dumb since he flipped to an SEC school.

Mizzou is an up and down school and they have been for 30 years. Sort of like Colorado and Northwestern. Really good one year, really bad the next. Mizzou was pretty good when they had a gay on D. They used to have an elite journalism school. Assume they still do ...

Hoping we can recover with a few commits from visitors this weekend. Holding on to burley is also a priority.

For those of you that didn’t follow along on this thread last night, a recap of all of last night’s action:

TAYLOR POWELL flipped to Mizzou and the follow-on articles included discussion of a super-secret visit to Mizzou last weekend. Wake DB commit Troy Simon poked at Powell in a sub-tweet. One Wake fan took it much further and went after Powell on Twitter, and ended up also lashing out at Alex Bachman after Bachman came to Powell’s defense.

The staff promptly took Powell’s scholarship and offered it to Eastern Guilford HS OL SPENCER CLAPP. Clapp has been committed to App State since August. App State was his only offer.

DB RAHEEM LAYNE decommitted from Minnesota. An article earlier in the day said that Layne was favoring Indiana and Wake Forest, however Vandy, VT and Iowa had in-home visits scheduled in an attempt to get him to visit this weekend. Late yesterday evening, Wake received two Crystal Ball predictions for Layne. One local writer and one national writer (Ryan Bartow).

Wake also received one Crystal Ball prediction for WR-target, and personal favorite, WAYDALE JONES (#TeamWaydale). That Crystal Ball came from their Vandy writer. Vandy is Wake primary (known) competition for Jones.

Auburn offered TE JOHN SAMUEL SHENKER. Wake was the first P5 school to offer Shenker (last week). Shenker says that he will visit Auburn this weekend and there is already one 247 Crystal Ball for Auburn.

CB TRE NORWOOD committed to Oklahoma.

So the board now looks something like this:

OL
Spencer Clapp

WR
Waydale Jones

DB
Raheem Layne
Reed Blankenship

ONE ITEM THAT I DIDN’T POST YESTERDAY:

I read some chatter on an Ole Miss message board that hinted there was info somewhere that JEFFERY BURLEY had cancelled his Ole Miss visit for next weekend. However, as of this morning I haven’t been able to track down the source of that info. So the quality of that info is questionable, but I figured I’d post it anyways with that caveat.

Last edited:
Yep. Totally agree, just disagree with the Budster declaring he "did [could] not want to compete in the ACC." Just dumb since he flipped to an SEC school.

Mizzou is an up and down school and they have been for 30 years. Sort of like Colorado and Northwestern. Really good one year, really bad the next. Mizzou was pretty good when they had a gay on D. They used to have an elite journalism school. Assume they still do ...
"A gay?" smh

Jackson coached CB's. Was anybody really happy with our CB play last year? Seems like that was clearly the defense's weak spot. Hemphill and Sawvel both have better track records with DB's, and this will allow us to bring in a LB coach who has more experience with that position group. Given the caliber of Clawson's last two hires, I'm optimistic he can find a solid candidate to fill that role

Wasn't Jackson a Grobe guy. You can't trust the Grobe guys.

Don't like the Powell situation one bit and think it was a low class move on his part but someone actually got on him on twitter is pretty pathetic. That person obviously has issues busting on a 17 year old kid in public and not a good representative of Wake Forest IMO. Hopefully we can find another QB at this late date but I seriously doubt it and don't think the other QB in this class is a stud based on his senior record in the 9 games he played before his torn ACL.

I remember when North Meck was the only HS in the entire northern part of Mecklenburg County (hence the name North Meck). Now there are what, about 10?

Not to derail, but "powerhouse" might be a bit of an over-sell. I can't recall them ever winning a state championship in any of the major sports.
Hmmm. The school is 6 years old, to begin; second, I said "athletics" powerhouse, which they are fast becoming if not already. They have some of the best athletes in Mecklenburg county.

Don't like the Powell situation one bit and think it was a low class move on his part but someone actually got on him on twitter is pretty pathetic. That person obviously has issues busting on a 17 year old kid in public and not a good representative of Wake Forest IMO. Hopefully we can find another QB at this late date but I seriously doubt it and don't think the other QB in this class is a stud based on his senior record in the 9 games he played before his torn ACL.

Yeah I saw that too. Just an absolute disgrace. Not only did he attack Powell, but went on to attack Bachman and Bassey - current players. Said "my dad and I pay for your scholarships so show some respect." That's a giant LOL, he deserves none for the display or immaturity he showed. Hopefully if he is a Deacon Club member he won't be for much longer. Any of you that are, I would encourage you to report the incident to the Deacon Club and see if something can be done about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder if our staff in any way encouraged Hartman's transfer? If so, how might that effect our favor with the staff at Davidson Day?

If our staff had nothing to do with the transfer, could Hartman be fishing for more offers through better exposure against stronger competition?

Yeah I saw that too. Just an absolute disgrace. Not only did he attack Powell, but went on to attack Bachman and Bassey - current players. Said "my dad and I pay for your scholarships so show some respect." That's a giant LOL, he deserves none for the display or immaturity he showed. Hopefully if he is a Deacon Club member he won't be for much longer. Any of you that are, I would encourage you to report the incident to the Deacon Club and see if something can be done about this.

Who was the POS who went off on them?

Wonder if our staff in any way encouraged Hartman's transfer? If so, how might that effect our favor with the staff at Davidson Day?

If our staff had nothing to do with the transfer, could Hartman be fishing for more offers through better exposure against stronger competition?

Chad Grier retired as coach of Davidson Day. Probably simple as that.

Uh oh. 247's Ryan Bartow switched his Raheem Layne crystal ball from Wake Forest to Indiana.

There are also new Crystal Balls for Demetris Harris (USF) and John Samuel Shenker (Auburn).

While Powell could play, I am not up in arms over his decommitment. Would very likely haver redshirted this year, but lets consider two years from now. You have Kyle Kearns as a RS Junior, Kendall Hinton as a senior, Jamie Newman as a RS Sophomore, Sam Hartman, and Tayvon Bowers. Wake is already deep at Quarterback and I am intrigued by Jamie Newman (size, mobility, power, etc.) Plus with Ruggiero coaching Campbell at Kansas State and his early success with Hinton, it seems he has mastered the dual-threat quarterback system.

What an embarassment.

My hope is that if we whiff on our current top targets, we don't dish out offers to under-the-radar project recruits. Would be better imo to safe for next year.

On a separate note, I think Powell is a huge loss. Think he would have been a stud for us in a few years.

Back