• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Wake Football Outlook

Presby - W
USU - W
Duke - W
State - W
BC - W
Cuse - W
App - L
GT - W
ND - L
Louisville - L
FSU - L
Clemson - L

We'll ranked 20th-25th going into the App game. We'll lose a close one but come back out and beat Ga Tech, only to finish the season 0-4, before beating an SEC team in the Meineke Bowl

Book it

Same record but I would say L to State and W vs App.

Our offense is going to need to step up big time if we return to a bowl. The defense will continue to be pretty good, but I am guessing there will be a falloff from where they are this year.

It's year four and time for the offense to pick up the slack. They've been one of the worst units in the country over the past 5-7 years.

We return 9 starters on offense plus Terry (he started some at Center I believe).

So, we SHOULD be better offensively.

I don't like the App game. This is a game we stopped scheduling in the Grobe era, for good reason. No upside, all downside. Hard to get the troops rallied and easy for App to get up for.

And I don't like the Utah State game. Don't know when this will get scheduled, but it has primetime weekday (Thurs? Fri?) written all over it early in the season. I think that's an L as well.

I'd love a retribution Louisville W for the Deacs, but I see:

Presby - W
USU - L
Duke - L
State - L
BC - W
Cuse - W
App - L
GT - L
ND - L
Louisville - L
FSU - L
Clemson - L

A home win against Louisville would be so good. I hope thats a primetime game so their program gets some more turds thrown their way.

I don't like the App game. This is a game we stopped scheduling in the Grobe era, for good reason. No upside, all downside. Hard to get the troops rallied and easy for App to get up for.

And I don't like the Utah State game. Don't know when this will get scheduled, but it has primetime weekday (Thurs? Fri?) written all over it early in the season. I think that's an L as well.

Presby - W
USU - L
Duke - L
State - L
BC - W
Cuse - W
App - L
GT - L
ND - L
Louisville - L
FSU - L
Clemson - L

I don't know why our troops wouldn't get rallied for the App game. Maybe our current players aren't as aware of the historic rivalry, but a two-minute tutelage would be simple. Regardless, they are aware that App is a good program, so I don't see them taking it lightly. And we've now tasted a bowl win so they recognize that a game like this is crucial for a repeat.

If App were still 1-AA I would have a problem with renewing the series, but as it stands now, I'm glad we're doing it. Our fans will turn out. The whole stadium will be covered in gold and black.*

*(Yes, I know.)

I don't know why our troops wouldn't get rallied for the App game. Maybe our current players aren't as aware of the historic rivalry, but a two-minute tutelage would be simple. Regardless, they are aware that App is a good program, so I don't see them taking it lightly. And we've now tasted a bowl win so they recognize that a game like this is crucial for a repeat.

If App were still 1-AA I would have a problem with renewing the series, but as it stands now, I'm glad we're doing it. Our fans will turn out. The whole stadium will be covered in gold and black.*

*(Yes, I know.)

Ugh, this just REEKS of a game where the lessen opponent takes it way more seriously than the P5 team. I feel like App has been waiting years for this rivalry to renew. It's one of those game that Vegas is going to hate as well.

I don't like playing App either. Not sure it's considered a "let down" game but definitely a tough game that we "should win" (P5 vs. Sun belt). Definitely a tougher schedule next year but this is what you sign up for being a P5.

Ugh, this just REEKS of a game where the lessen opponent takes it way more seriously than the P5 team. I feel like App has been waiting years for this rivalry to renew. It's one of those game that Vegas is going to hate as well.

Fair enough. Reeks to me of LOWF. The only team that we may not take seriously is Presbyterian. App is in a different category and I don't get the collective fear of many to play them. We're seeking to be a different Wake team from the 80's and 90's. We should neither write them off as a joke, nor become paralyzed with fear at the thought of challenging them. We should take them on right in their backyard, and beat them, and make them realize why it was not smart on their part to get the series going again.

Well, unlike when we played App before they won't treat it like their national championship. I used to hate playing them because they treated the game so much more seriously than we did. It was lose lose for us. If we won it was nothing special because we were supposed to; but, if we lost it was the end of the world.

Fair enough. Reeks to me of LOWF. The only team that we may not take seriously is Presbyterian. App is in a different category and I don't get the collective fear of many to play them. We're seeking to be a different Wake team from the 80's and 90's. We should neither write them off as a joke, nor become paralyzed with fear at the thought of challenging them. We should take them on right in their backyard, and beat them, and make them realize why it was not smart on their part to get the series going again.

No, totally agree. But look at Michigan a few years ago. App is loaded with jaded talent that either wasn't recruited by Wake (justifiably or passed-over) or has something to prove against HS teammates that made it "big." Very hard to get players up for this game on the Wake side. It's just App. It always has (Div-1AA) and always will (FBS) be a game that we should fear. Especially away from home.

*(Yes, I know.)

Quoted wrong post. Sorry.

Last edited:

Presby - W
USU - L
Duke - L
State - L
BC - W
Cuse - W
App - L
GT - L
ND - L
Louisville - L
FSU - L
Clemson - L
lowf

No, totally agree. But look at Michigan a few years ago. App is loaded with jaded talent that either wasn't recruited by Wake (justifiably or passed-over) or has something to prove against HS teammates that made it "big." Very hard to get players up for this game on the Wake side. It's just App. It always has (Div-1AA) and always will (FBS) be a game that we should fear. Especially away from home.
Yes, but Michigan is an example of a team not even thinking twice about App. I have no doubt Lloyd Carr was not taking them seriously. We will not have that attitude. I am certainly not eliminating the possibility of a loss, but if it happens I don't think it will be because we took them lightly. It will be because of some of that talent you're talking about. Regardless, that risk to me is worth it. I think it's time to put our old-fashioned fear of App behind us, push our chips to the middle of the table, and get this thing done.

App is like a ghost in our program's hallways and I am ready to exorcise it. (Do you exorcise ghosts? Or just demons? I guess you don't exorcise ghosts, but bust them. This is a tiresome ghost. I am ready to bust it, is what I'm saying. And that does not sound right either. :eek::D)

Yes, but Michigan is an example of a team not even thinking twice about App. I have no doubt Lloyd Carr was not taking them seriously. We will not have that attitude. I am certainly not eliminating the possibility of a loss, but if it happens I don't think it will be because we took them lightly. It will be because of some of that talent you're talking about. Regardless, that risk to me is worth it. I think it's time to put our old-fashioned fear of App behind us, push our chips to the middle of the table, and get this thing done.

App is like a ghost in our program's hallways and I am ready to exorcise it. (Do you exorcise ghosts? Or just demons? I guess you don't exorcise ghosts, but bust them. This is a tiresome ghost. I am ready to bust it, is what I'm saying. And that does not sound right either. :eek::D)

I'm on board with that, if we can exorcise those ghost/demons. The thing is, this is a scary game for literally ANY mid-tier P5 program. It's more of those "games you shouldn't lose" that are scary. Look, we're not a top tier P5 program yet. We won an awesome bowl game, finished 7-6, and are returning some key starters that will make this program better. But this is no longer that D1-AA opponent. This is a D1-A program, akin to a Tulane team this year, that we absolutely need to be prepared for.

I'm on board with that, if we can exorcise those ghost/demons. The thing is, this is a scary game for literally ANY mid-tier P5 program. It's more of those "games you shouldn't lose" that are scary. Look, we're not a top tier P5 program yet. We won an awesome bowl game, finished 7-6, and are returning some key starters that will make this program better. But this is no longer that D1-AA opponent. This is a D1-A program, akin to a Tulane team this year, that we absolutely need to be prepared for.

I believe we agree on most things, other than whether we will be prepared for App. Your opinion seems to be that we might overlook or not be prepared for them. Mine is that we will absolutely be prepared for them. Does not guarantee a victory, but our coaching staff will not allow us to overlook a solid Mountaineers team. Either way, I hope to be there in the flesh to see the ghost vanquished. Precisely because of the risk involved, and the fact we've been avoiding them for so long, it would be an especially enjoyable win.

Is it possible this won't be as big of a deal to App as we think? They played at Tennessee and hosted Miami last year.

8-4. I don't see Notre Dame at home as a likely loss. I'm also not scared of app state like some of you pussies are.

I believe we agree on most things, other than whether we will be prepared for App. Your opinion seems to be that we might overlook or not be prepared for them. Mine is that we will absolutely be prepared for them. Does not guarantee a victory, but our coaching staff will not allow us to overlook a solid Mountaineers team. Either way, I hope to be there in the flesh to see the ghost vanquished. Precisely because of the risk involved, and the fact we've been avoiding them for so long, it would be an especially enjoyable win.

Totes. I mean, I hope totes. I think what I'm trying to convey which is not coming through, is that App treats games like these as absolute point-proving games, whereas Wake or any other P5 team is treating these as a "don't lose" game. Different approach, hopefully same outcome. But given the very small differential in talent we have with App, a much more risky proposition.

Back