• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-19 College Basketball Season-Long Thread

Will Wade caught on FBI wiretaps.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ch-wade-recorded-discussing-offer/3093352002/

LSU basketball coach Will Wade told recruiting middleman Christian Dawkins about a "hell of an offer" to apparently reel in a top recruit in a phone conversation that was intercepted by the FBI, according to a report from Yahoo! Sports on Thursday afternoon.
According to the report, Wade appeared to be speaking about a third-party's attempts to delay a commitment because "he didn't get enough of the piece of the pie in the deal." Wade does not mention the recruit by name, according to Yahoo! Sports, but references it as "the Smart thing."
Javonte Smart, who was a four-star recruit, is now a freshman at LSU.

The most amazing thing about this scandal is how many major head coaches are making these calls directly. Haven’t they ever heard of a fall guy? Take some lessons from corporate America.

The B10 is supposed to be the top conference in the country this year according to KP. No way, short of winning the B10 tourney, IU should even be considered.

Wow, that's nuts. Every Big 10 game I've watched this season has mostly been shit basketball. I guess there's not a "Hot Garbage" factor in Pomeroy's ratings...

If Self leaves Kansas, that would start a chain of dominoes falling.

FWIW, Board fave Pat Kelsey's Winthrop team is down 38-32 at the half of a Big South Quarterfinal. If the Eagles go down, Kelsey would have plenty of time to interview.

Winthrop loses 77-63 to Charleston Southern. Winthrop closes the season losing 4 of 5. Kelsey may love WF, but a decent coach in a bad Big South is not the resume for an ACC job. I'm fine if WF considers Kelsey... for an assistant position.

Last edited:
FWIW, my brother is an Indiana grad with a long standing connection to basketball. The prevailing impression is they don't deserve nor will they receive a NCAA at large bid.

No way on earth Wade should be coaching right now. He should be gone.

Heard an interesting rumor the other day. Bill Self knows he's in deep trouble at KU and will leave this offseason to replace Pop in San Antonio. Came from source close to KU program

Why would SA hire Self?

Why would SA hire Self?

Whenever Pop decides to retire, I would expect him to be followed by one of his assistants, or someone from his coaching tree. Becky Hammons is being groomed for it.

Same here. Any of the assistants are more likely than anybody from outside the coaching tree. Very weird rumor.

It’s kind of funny that we’re talking about how many millions Manning will get for his buyout... And then making a big deal about a player getting $6,000. Not saying it’s right or wrong... Just feels weird.

I think Wade is obviously dirty, but I’m no less impressed with the job he’s done at LSU. From where they were to how good they’ve been this year is amazing.

Finally, after years of complaining that the NCAA does nothing to punish dirty programs, it’d be kind of ironic for Wake to get fucked in its coaching search by a bunch of coaching carousel moves due to NCAA punishments (Arizona, LSU, Kansas, Miami, etc). It behooves us to act quickly after the season.

Those are 3 separate thoughts, by the way.

1. It’s kind of funny that we’re talking about how many millions Manning will get for his buyout... And then making a big deal about a player getting $6,000. Not saying it’s right or wrong... Just feels weird.

2. I think Wade is obviously dirty, but I’m no less impressed with the job he’s done at LSU. From where they were to how good they’ve been this year is amazing.

3. Finally, after years of complaining that the NCAA does nothing to punish dirty programs, it’d be kind of ironic for Wake to get fucked in its coaching search by a bunch of coaching carousel moves due to NCAA punishments (Arizona, LSU, Kansas, Miami, etc). It behooves us to act quickly after the season.

Those are 3 separate thoughts, by the way.

FIFY

If I am coach who loses his job tgis spring and one of my key recruit misses went to lsu and got paid, can I sue the shit out of wade and Lsu?

remember when Michigan's plane failed to take off for the B1G tournament two years ago, and they had to scramble to get there (and then won the tournament?)

could have been much worse

If Self leaves Kansas, that would start a chain of dominoes falling.

FWIW, Board fave Pat Kelsey's Winthrop team is down 38-32 at the half of a Big South Quarterfinal. If the Eagles go down, Kelsey would have plenty of time to interview.

Winthrop loses 77-63 to Charleston Southern. Winthrop closes the season losing 4 of 5. Kelsey may love WF, but a decent coach in a bad Big South is not the resume for an ACC job. I'm fine if WF considers Kelsey... for an assistant position.

Matta to KU? A game of chicken may break out involving the coaching names discussed here. Do you take the sure offer from LOWF or wait to see what develops in Lawrence or Baton Rouge?

Matta to KU? A game of chicken may break out involving the coaching names discussed here. Do you take the sure offer from LOWF or wait to see what develops in Lawrence or Baton Rouge?

An additional consideration would be dealing with potential sanctions against the school. TV ban, tournament ban, scholarship restrictions.

IU is one of 13-15 teams competing for the last 8 bubble spots. If the season ended today I think they’d be in. Top 10 schedule.

The B10 is supposed to be the top conference in the country this year according to KP. No way, short of winning the B10 tourney, IU should even be considered.

The B1G did the job in non-conference play and is realizing the benefit of that in KP and other models. Your subjective assessment aside, IU will be in the conversation because it has 6 quad 1 wins and no terrible losses. It still has to win a couple of more games to make a case but should it beat Rutgers this weekend, and go 1-1 in the B1G tournament, it will be 18-15 and have a decent chance to make the field.

The B1G did the job in non-conference play and is realizing the benefit of that in KP and other models. Your subjective assessment aside, IU will be in the conversation because it has 6 quad 1 wins and no terrible losses. It still has to win a couple of more games to make a case but should it beat Rutgers this weekend, and go 1-1 in the B1G tournament, it will be 18-15 and have a decent chance to make the field.

Agreed. They'd have a totally reasonable case. Subjectively I'd rather see teams like Lipscomb, Utah State, Furman, Murray State, Belmont as opposed to P5 teams with mediocre records (that aren't named Wake Forest) if only because all things being about equal it's more fun to see a small school win a tourney game or two.

Agreed. They'd have a totally reasonable case. Subjectively I'd rather see teams like Lipscomb, Utah State, Furman, Murray State, Belmont as opposed to P5 teams with mediocre records (that aren't named Wake Forest) if only because all things being about equal it's more fun to see a small school win a tourney game or two.

Def agree, though at least Indiana has beaten some solid teams regularly and at times away from home, unlike say NC State and Clemson. I'd have the likes of Furman and Indiana ahead of those two

Back