• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

What mystery illness does Crosby have? Pens say he tested negative for mumps but his face is swollen and he is being held out of a couple games.

AHHHHH

crosbyface.jpg

That was the best 50 minutes of hockey the Caps have played all year (last 10 could use some work). I have a feeling we are about to get on a bit of a roll.

Fantasy hockey is a fickle beast. I've sandwiched a 1-9 loss with 8-1 and 8-0 victories.

Oilers coaches, from wiki:
8 Craig MacTavish 2000–01 to 2008–09
9 Pat Quinn 2009–10
10 Tom Renney 2010–11 to 2011–12
11 Ralph Krueger 2012–13
12 Dallas Eakins 2013–14 to present

So the next coach will be the 6th in ~7 years?

Also, Sid does indeed have the mumps. As does Derick Brassard.

So what does that mean? What happens when you have mumps and how long does it take to get rid of it? And aren't we vaccinated for that?

Haven't followed this all that close but are the majority of the players Canadian? Does Canada have a different vaccination schedule than America? I blame this all on Jenny McCarthy.

On the subject of coaching changes, was talking at work today about how Buffalo should fire Ted Nolan and replace him with a subpar ECHL coach.

The Buffalo Sabres. We even fail at tanking.

Sounds like it's an issue of waning immunity for vaccinations from childhood and a unique situation where adults with potentially compromised immune protection are hitting each other and spraying each other with vaporized particles and stuff. A lot of the protection with something like mumps is keeping a certain % of the population immunized to preserve herd immunity. That's why breakouts among kids aren't common, even though it's very, very contagious. Interesting how it's spread in the league... guess you just need one person to introduce it. Hope that kid that Bennett visited is ok.

The Road to the NHL Winter Classic starts tonight at 10pm EST on Epix and NHL.com.

Sounds like it's an issue of waning immunity for vaccinations from childhood and a unique situation where adults with potentially compromised immune protection are hitting each other and spraying each other with vaporized particles and stuff. A lot of the protection with something like mumps is keeping a certain % of the population immunized to preserve herd immunity. That's why breakouts among kids aren't common, even though it's very, very contagious. Interesting how it's spread in the league... guess you just need one person to introduce it. Hope that kid that Bennett visited is ok.

I thought that mumps vaccine was only like 87% effective.

2014-15 NHL Season Thread – Now with fewer face-punchers

So I looked into it. Over half the players infected are Canadian and every non-Canadian infected has a Canadian teammate that was infected. That actually squares with general statistics of the NHL so it doesn't jive with my Canadian theory. But there is this:

"Myths about vaccine safety are both powerful and prevalent. In parts of Canada vaccination rates have dropped, and in some communities more than 40 per cent of seven-year-olds do not have all their shots. (Watch "Shot of Confusion," Friday, Nov. 28 at 8 p.m. ET / 8:30 p.m. NT on CBC Television or online at cbc.ca/marketplace. You can also join Marketplace co-host Erica Johnson and Dr. Peter Lin for a web chat about vaccines tonight at 6 p.m.)"

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/health/vaccines-busting-common-myths-1.2851270

The Caps and Panthers just went 20 SO rounds :eek:

After 18, you can start reusing shooters. I've never seen that before.

The Panthers rebutted all 5 of the Caps SO goals, but also missed on 12 opportunities to win themselves before they finally ended it.

I bet Holtby has some sick moves. He stick handles as well as any goalie

Back