• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 NCAA National Tennis Championship Thread

Losing Skander and Christian. Still leaves a crazy good team with great chance to repeat if have some guys like Zlob, NAv, gadijev, cungu, Yulav or any of the other young guns step up. Essentially already have 2 studly double teams and 3 studly singles with Gojo, Petros and Bar returning and lots of competition for the final 3 spots.

Guessing we have never repeated as natty champs at anything??

Men’s golf won in 1974 and repeated in 1975.

Crazy atmosphere. I found a spot on Petros's court that turned out to be perfect to see the end of the match and the trophy presentation. Lots of pictures on line, but it was 3 deep all the way around and down the stairs and along the sides.

The crowd was intense throughout, yelling on every point in doubles and then kept it going into singles. The crowd also gave it to several OSU players who constantly questioned calls. At one point something happened on Skander's court that attracted the attention of the head official, but I could not tell what was going on.

The cool thing about our nattys is that we've won them in five different sports.

Also: a selected list of schools that we have more nattys than:

Baylor
Boston College
Clemson (we have THREE TIMES as many nattys as Clemson!)
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Miami
Mizzou
NC State
South Carolina
Vandy
Washington
Wazzu

The whole list is here (though it doesn't list schools that haven't won any): http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/champs_records_book/Overall.pdf

FBS DI titles aren't included here which affects it a bit, but still

Tremendous atmosphere...great event. Botzer's comeback was so incredibly clutch.

No inside info whatsoever but would be shocked to see Borna or Petros back. Gojo seems to have the game to give it a run on the pro tour and Petros has accomplished everything imaginable at this level. That said, have to believe that Bresky is tuning up for a major run as the WF head coach. Chance to be a UVA level dynasty.

Petros has stated to media folks a couple times in the past few weeks that he will be back for his senior season. That could change, but he's said he's coming back (see the podcast on the college tennis website Cracked Rackets). Who knows with Gojo - he seems a bit of a wildcard. All the Wake players realize though that they have an incredibly sweet set-up compared to players fighting for points in futures tournaments.

Think they got #1, #4 and #6. And #3 doubles.

We got either #2 or #3 (don't remember), but also overall MVP in Gojo.
We also took #1 and #2 doubles.

They must have made those decisions rather quickly. Anyone know the process?

We Got # 1 and #2 doubles, and #2 Singles (Pedros) and Pedros was MVP of the Tournament

Tremendous atmosphere...great event. Botzer's comeback was so incredibly clutch.
As I was walking to my car, I overheard two OSU people (looked like coaches or support staff, not sure though) talking about how Bar was so much older and had served in the military and there guy was young and that an older player would have won there. Not really complaining, but a little salty nonetheless and I enjoyed it.

Where does this men's tennis season rank in terms of the greatest seasons in Wake sports history? This year they won:

National doubles championship (Mansouri/Chrysochos)
National ITA Indoor Team Championship
ACC Regular Season Chmapionship
ACC Tournament Championship
NCAA Team National Championship - at home!

I think there are men's golf and field hockey seasons that rank up there, but I think this might be the best season for a team in Wake sports history.

Gotta think Gojo returning is a big question mark. I heard some rumblings that he was close to not coming back this year. Possibly same with Petros...you won a national championship and haven't lost a match since January, what more does college tennis have to offer you? They both clearly have very strong pro potential, and it wouldn't surprise me if they go that route--especially if they have some success this summer

Yeah I don’t think Gojo is coming back. I think there’s a pretty good chance Petros comes back. Gotta think Bresky is going to bring in a group of stud foreign freshman to fill in some holes. I bet Botzer is good enough to take the 3 spot next year but wouldn’t be shocked to see us being in a freshman at 2/3.

Where does this men's tennis season rank in terms of the greatest seasons in Wake sports history? This year they won:

National doubles championship (Mansouri/Chrysochos)
National ITA Indoor Team Championship
ACC Regular Season Chmapionship
ACC Tournament Championship
NCAA Team National Championship - at home!

I think there are men's golf and field hockey seasons that rank up there, but I think this might be the best season for a team in Wake sports history.
Likely the most successful. Only blemishes are two 4-3 losses in the middle of the season. Otherwise, they won everything it was possible to win.

This is the first season in 10 years that UVA or USC hasn't won the men's tennis NCAA championship.

As I was walking to my car, I overheard two OSU people (looked like coaches or support staff, not sure though) talking about how Bar was so much older and had served in the military and there guy was young and that an older player would have won there. Not really complaining, but a little salty nonetheless and I enjoyed it.

i feel like every good tennis team has some old ass foreigners

Petros has stated to media folks a couple times in the past few weeks that he will be back for his senior season. That could change, but he's said he's coming back (see the podcast on the college tennis website Cracked Rackets). Who knows with Gojo - he seems a bit of a wildcard. All the Wake players realize though that they have an incredibly sweet set-up compared to players fighting for points in futures tournaments.

That’s great to hear. I’m a massive Petros fan and would love to see him come back and lead this team next year.

Hopefully Petros coming back might make it attractive for Gojo to come back to defend the crown. Those 2 finished in top 7 and both would be considered top 5 next year given Torp is a senior and Gojo destroyed #6 Kypson yesterday.

Awesome atmosphere, so happy the year we were stacked is the year we hosted.

Didn’t realize until right now that OSU manipulated their lineup to pretty much guarantee wins at 5 and 6. The guy that slid in at 4 is the one we won the Natty on though. Nice try.

OUR DAMN DEACS

Forgot to add congratulations to the team. It was a great win but it puts the spectators through a roller coaster ride of emotions with the ebb and flow of the game. Would not want to be a coach out there but Bresky deserves a ton of credit for bringing the national championship home and also kudos to Flow for all their help making tennis pertinent in Winston-Salem.

Last edited:
Went to three of the NCAA Wake matches and were the only tennis matches I went to this year. A few observations: I never knew they implemented several changes to speed up the game one of which you know on these boards that when one team gets four points they win and all play that is in progress stops. But also they don’t do advantage points (no add in, add out) except for the first one. So if it’s 40 all, the team or individual that wins the first add point wins that game. Also they don’t do “net” serves. If the ball bounces off the top of the net even if it radically changes it’s trajectory the serve is live as long as it lands in the good service area.
My other observation from someone who has not attended college tennis matches is that it seems to be very much a “team” game. Doubles players constantly consult each other, constantly slap hands even if they don’t win the point. They seem to be their own “fraternity” which might encourage some players to hang around through their senior year to enjoy the brotherhood.
I also read somewhere that if you’re not the top 100 of pro tennis there’s not much money in the game. My non expert opinion after watching several matches is that none of our players are close to being top 100 and I doubt that we will see them on TV in the big tournaments after they leave. I’d love to be proven wrong in my observations but that kid that from N.Y with all the hype that was here for one year a couple of years ago I’ve never heard or read about again. It seems to be one of the tougher sports in which to make a good living on tour.

Noah Rubin has made over 300K as a pro already. But back to the main topic, congrats to the team on winning a National Championship. Nice to add one in Mens Tennis, now we just need a Football and Basketball.

Back