• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 NFL Season ends: Patriots win Superbowl!

Man, who would have though that in 2018 the band Bush would still be in their prime and Reggie Bush would be washed up?

I love how MNF has a commercial-free halftime show, like that makes up for all the other commercials. Hey assholes, how about you make the actual game commercial-free (or at least reduced commercials) and the halftime that nobody cares about all commercials?

well absolutely every move the NFL makes is to squeeze out as many advertising dollars as possible, so they only went commercial-free on halftime because something showed they were losing viewers or something during halftime

The halftime show has a sponsor. The halftime show is a commercial.

The Battle of the Bay!!!

Ugh

Thursday night the entire country becomes Hell’s Sports Bar as Fox and NFL Network air Niners versus Raiders, combined record 2-13. Fortunately there will be college football, pro basketball, pro hockey, Netflix, and Hulu to escape from the NFL that night. Oh, and also books!

TMQ also discusses ESPN (and their terrible MNF slate) in his article today.

They really should be able to flex other games. College schedules most games 2 weeks out among more networks, why can't the NFL?

They really should be able to flex other games. College schedules most games 2 weeks out among more networks, why can't the NFL?

if you're talking about flexing out of or into MNF, i would imagine a lot has to do with pro stadiums having a lot more non-football commitments than college venues. i also wonder how much the CBA plays a role - like only so many "short" weeks per year.

Yeah, but college doesn't usually change the date of games... Teams usually play Thursday games around a bye week.

College changes the time, not the day. Changing the day from a Sunday to a Monday night a week or two in advance would be a huge pain in the ass for most of the people who shell out the big bucks for the prime stadium seats and boxes. Now, if the answer is to ditch Thursday night and Sunday night games (and actually Monday night as well) altogether, I'm on board with that.

College changes the time, not the day. Changing the day from a Sunday to a Monday night a week or two in advance would be a huge pain in the ass for most of the people who shell out the big bucks for the prime stadium seats and boxes. Now, if the answer is to ditch Thursday night and Sunday night games (and actually Monday night as well) altogether, I'm on board with that.

True that on the day, but there has to be a solution on getting less shitty TNF and MNF as the season goes on.

NFL trade deadline at 4 pm.

Golden Tate to the Eagles for a 3rd round pick.
Demaryius Thomas to the Texans for a 4th round pick.

I'm not sure I've ever heard someone advocate FOR another league to follow the way TV schedules college game times 12 days (or sometimes 6 days) in advance, it sucks. The NFL now has the ability to flex out of a bad SNF matchup, but you are occasionally going to have to deal with a clunker TNF or MNF game because those are now like 3rd or 4th on the totem pole when setting up the schedule:

- 1A is Sunday Night Football
- 1B is the 4:25pm DH window (could argue to switch this with SNF, since this window often rates higher than the SNF game)
- 3 is probably MNF
- 4 is TNF games shown on the broadcast network (FOX, used to be CBS) and NFL Network
- 5 is TNF games only shown on NFL Network
- 6 is the 1pm window (which is probably the preferred window for the fans actually attending the games)

Not really. Those are comparable trades.

4th rounder for an almost 31 year old former elite WR clearly in decline
3rd rounder for a 30 year old solid to good WR
1st rounder for a 24 year old 4th year WR who was in the Pro Bowl his first two years

I'd argue the Cowboys made the best trade of the three. All of them gave up too much though.

I'm not sure I've ever heard someone advocate FOR another league to follow the way TV schedules college game times 12 days (or sometimes 6 days) in advance, it sucks.

Really? I dunno -- I'll take guaranteed primo matchups over any impact on travel plans. And that's mitigated since the games are on Saturdays so you aren't facing down the start of the week the next day

1st rounder for a 24 year old 4th year WR who was in the Pro Bowl his first two years

I'd argue the Cowboys made the best trade of the three. All of them gave up too much though.

Cooper didn't have a good season last year and he's having a bad season this year. So the Cowboys are giving up a first round draft pick (currently in the first half of the first round) for a player who may be gone in a season and a half, despite making offseason moves for Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson and drafting a WR in the third round who isn't seeing the field. Hurns and Thompson have awful numbers, but it's possible that the problem is the guy throwing the passes, not the guys who are supposed to be catching them. Also, the Raiders are tanking and have motivation to unload Cooper for cheaper than a first rounder.

Lastly, a first round pick gets you four years on a rookie deal with a 5th-year option. So the Cowboys have traded that for a guy who may not even be worth a first round pick who they have to decide if they want to pick up the option on next year before he becomes a #2 or #3 receiver or they have to break the bank to re-sign him.

Short version, they should have just drafted DJ Moore, Calvin Ridley, or Courtland Sutton (who has made Demaryius Thomas expendable in the first place).

Cooper didn't have a good season last year and he's having a bad season this year. So the Cowboys are giving up a first round draft pick (currently in the first half of the first round) for a player who may be gone in a season and a half, despite making offseason moves for Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson and drafting a WR in the third round who isn't seeing the field. Hurns and Thompson have awful numbers, but it's possible that the problem is the guy throwing the passes, not the guys who are supposed to be catching them. Also, the Raiders are tanking and have motivation to unload Cooper for cheaper than a first rounder.

Lastly, a first round pick gets you four years on a rookie deal with a 5th-year option. So the Cowboys have traded that for a guy who may not even be worth a first round pick who they have to decide if they want to pick up the option on next year before he becomes a #2 or #3 receiver or they have to break the bank to re-sign him.

Short version, they should have just drafted DJ Moore, Calvin Ridley, or Courtland Sutton (who has made Demaryius Thomas expendable in the first place).

All of this. The Cowboys trade for Cooper was laughably bad.

Really? I dunno -- I'll take guaranteed primo matchups over any impact on travel plans. And that's mitigated since the games are on Saturdays so you aren't facing down the start of the week the next day

Are you speaking from a "fan watching in person" perspective or a "fan watching on TV" perspective?....big difference (and yes, I realize 98% of game times are set up these days for the fans watching at home, with very little regard for the fans there in person). I guess my gripe was more from the "fan watching in person" viewpoint.

Amari Cooper guaranteed $14 million next year; Tate $4 million this year

I love how MNF has a commercial-free halftime show, like that makes up for all the other commercials. Hey assholes, how about you make the actual game commercial-free (or at least reduced commercials) and the halftime that nobody cares about all commercials?

this is your best post

Back