• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 Winter Olympic Thread

The 14 hour time difference is good for viewership, at least better than Europe. It allows for live prime time action.

Given the non-participation of current NHL players, the rosters for all the teams will consist of former NHL players, players who spent most of their careers in the minors or foreign leagues and a sprinkling of good young amateurs.

It's not a recipe for a must-watch tournament. But who knows? Maybe these guys who never made it big will relish their moment in the spotlight and play some great hockey (though I wouldn't bet on it). There is also the 14 hour time difference that is not good for broadcasting live games when people are likely to be watching, so one wonders whether anyone will actually see the games live on TV. Also, South Korea is not exactly a hockey-mad country so one wonders who will bother to attend the games in person.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nhl-players-arent-at-the-olympics-so-who-are-these-guys/

Pyeongchang is not exactly the hottest destination in February, but there are plenty of military personnel and their families on the peninsula, not to mention a bunch in Japan who would probably like to see a once-in-a-lifetime type of event. I also suspect the Koreans will express their support by attending almost any type of event where there is a ticket available, much like they did in 1988.

It is Russia and then everyone else. Canada has struggled with and even been outplayed by Latvia in exhibition games. I would not be shocked if the US finished 2nd or 7th.

Do you believe in miracles part II?

The timing mostly sucks for live viewing - it's almost like they're on the opposite side of the World.

The culture commentator for the ceremony sounds like he’s reading from Wikipedia.

That's what they said, but when they pan out the entire lower bowl looks empty. And there aren't really any signs of life in the upper bowl either.

Yeah. I imagine this is the best time to go to get some food. Lots of people are watching in the concourse.

Tessa Virtue is such a great name.

Yeah. I imagine this is the best time to go to get some food. Lots of people are watching in the concourse.

Cold as balls too.

Also apparently it looks a lot emptier than it is due to the lights

Last edited:
Seems like most of the non-athlete viewers were on that pressbox side. That pressbox is ridiculous, by the way. Bigger than any of the seating sections looks like.

Why are judges needed for ski jumping? Shouldn't it just be like the long jump? If you go the farthest... you win.

Back