• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 MLB Hot Stove Thread...

Some ideas that MLB is purportedly considering when/if baseball returns:

- Expanding the active roster because the schedule will be compacted (maximum amount of games)
Love it, gimme me prospects on rosters
- Lots of double-headers (7 innings each; already the case in MILB)
Cool
- MILB extra-inning rule (inning starts with a runner on 2nd)
Disgusting, that rule needs to be burned with fire
- Revising the schedule to reduce travel (West Coast teams play West Coast teams; East Coast Teams play East Coast Teams)
I mean, whatever
- Starting the season with an All-Star Game
Would be stupid. MLB fringe All stars change a lot year to year
- Extending the season so that the W-S is played in November; perhaps playing the W-S on a neutral field in either Florida/Texas/California.
Still wouldn't work. Regular season games in the cold in Toronto, Boston, New York, etc? Pass

- Expanding the active roster because the schedule will be compacted (maximum amount of games)
- Revising the schedule to reduce travel (West Coast teams play West Coast teams; East Coast Teams play East Coast Teams)
- Extending the season so that the W-S is played in November; perhaps playing the W-S on a neutral field in either Florida/Texas/California.

I like these ideas, especially shortening double-headers. If the MiLB model is too much of a change, make only the second game shorter. Eliminating the ASG wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

I'm not a huge fan of the ASG (and the HR derby) either, but apparently, it's a big money-maker for game via TV contracts with ESPN and Fox. For the owners and players, the priority is going to be try to recoup as much of the lost revenue as possible (massive losses are a given; everyone will act to mitigate the loss).

My teenage son loves the HR derby. Also plays it on The Show all the time. Guess it appeals to the younger crowd.

I like the idea of 2 sevens for double headers (I like that for all levels all the time.) Not sure its a good idea to compact the schedule anymore though. It’s already a grind as it is and I could see injuries increasing. I don’t know how much an expanded roster would help with that. You still got to play your best players as much as possible. If they could start season a little late but soon, maybe start with no fans or something. Then play through November. Schedule WS in Florida or somewhere warm. Make it like the super bowl. Would be awesome.

I'm not a huge fan of the ASG (and the HR derby) either, but apparently, it's a big money-maker for game via TV contracts with ESPN and Fox. For the owners and players, the priority is going to be try to recoup as much of the lost revenue as possible (massive losses are a given; everyone will act to mitigate the loss).

But why start the season with it? Just put it in the middle of the compacted schedule. Also if they are really going to try to play 162 games from June (or whenever they can get started) to November this is going to be ridiculous

My biggest question right now is what are starting pitchers doing? A lot of them were just getting stretched out to go 4-6 innings in spring training. Are they throwing enough to stay at that level considering they don't know when the season will start? If not, there will have to be a few weeks given for them to get there before we can start. If they are, there isn't any fucking chance we should go to November, there's gonna be torn UCL's left and right making guys throw at that level from March to November.

The expanded roster would mostly be used to ensure pitchers aren't overworked as starting pitchers likely won't be fully stretched out when they start playing real games (and to ensure there is enough pitching to play double headers). Naturally, a lot of what baseball does will be dependent on how soon they can actually start playing again. All of that said, it sounds like baseball will do whatever they reasonably can to salvage at least part of the season. Even if it's massively shortened and rules are tweaked.

Everybody would need to agree, but a short season would be better than no season. 100 games? 120 games? Would need to do equitable adjustments for incentives. Lot of paperwork there. Redo schedule to minimize travel/ maximize games. E.g. more NY/Washington games. Many fewer (maybe no) NY/LA etc.

The expanded roster would mostly be used to ensure pitchers aren't overworked as starting pitchers likely won't be fully stretched out when they start playing real games (and to ensure there is enough pitching to play double headers). Naturally, a lot of what baseball does will be dependent on how soon they can actually start playing again. All of that said, it sounds like baseball will do whatever they reasonably can to salvage at least part of the season. Even if it's massively shortened and rules are tweaked.

That's dumb. You telling me that the Mets manager is going to pull Degrom after 75 pitches to put in whoever the fuck is in the Mets bullpen in a real game? Or in multiple real games? There's just no way.

There's really nothing here that's not to like. Hell, maybe this will help organically speed up games and open the game up to new fans. Maybe MLB will quit fucking around and abandon their byzantine blackout restrictions.

There's really nothing here that's not to like. Hell, maybe this will help organically speed up games and open the game up to new fans. Maybe MLB will quit fucking around and abandon their byzantine blackout restrictions.

Your last sentence is significantly more important to opening the game for new fans than speeding up the game. Manfred’s obsession with speeding up the game is fixing a problem that isn’t there. Taking average game time from 3 hours 45 minutes to 3 hours 15 minutes (I guessed on these numbers) isn’t bringing in a single new fan by itself. Letting fans easily access games and game highlights would though.

That doesn’t even touch on how some of these speed up the game ideas absolutely destroy some essential elements to the game. Some of the ideas are fine, but some just suck. Putting a man on second to start each extra innings? What problem is that solving? My favorite baseball memory is being at a 14 inning game with my dad when I was like 10. Why get rid of potentially exciting elements of a game to speed it up by a few minutes on average?

That's dumb. You telling me that the Mets manager is going to pull Degrom after 75 pitches to put in whoever the fuck is in the Mets bullpen in a real game? Or in multiple real games? There's just no way.

Like that would be the only dumb thing the Mets ever did. But you make a good point. Last season deGrom was over 100 pitches in some of his early starts. That came as a surprise to me. The guy is money.

Maybe they should expand the roster to 40-13 position players and 27 pitchers. That way, those soft, whining pitchers won't have to throw more than 25 pitches a game.

Dont really get the reason for shrinking the draft to 5 rounds.

There's only one reason: to save money. Fewer draft picks means fewer bonuses. MLB teams aren't about to start operating at a loss even for a short period of time. MLBPA was willing to negotiate away the rights of non-union baseball players (those kids about to get drafted) to ensure that the players in the union got service-time and salary protection.

since we can't watch baseball, we should engage in this forum's favorite pastime; arguing about sabermetrics with RJ.

There's only one reason: to save money. Fewer draft picks means fewer bonuses. MLB teams aren't about to start operating at a loss even for a short period of time. MLBPA was willing to negotiate away the rights of non-union baseball players (those kids about to get drafted) to ensure that the players in the union got service-time and salary protection.

Also done with an eye toward the MiLB contraction that's looming. Why spend money on kids who you won't have a place to put in future years? On an unrelated note, Wake's John Aiello was rumored to be set for Double A this year in the Jays system.

Also done with an eye toward the MiLB contraction that's looming. Why spend money on kids who you won't have a place to put in future years? On an unrelated note, Wake's John Aiello was rumored to be set for Double A this year in the Jays system.

This contraction of minor leagues is really upsetting. Large amounts of money being made by MLB (up through last season) and now the owners want to share less.

By killing the geese (minor league teams) they will end up with fewer golden eggs (high quality major league players.)

Some potential superstars need to be pushed by minor league scrappy players to reach their full potential. Also some guys just blossom later and need more minor league time. With fewer teams, they might not get the years they need.

Back