• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

At the risk of this turning political, I will say that my uncle feels similarly to mebanedeac.

My uncle is not political in the least. He's not ex-military. He's not religious. He's not a Trump guy at all. But wow does he hate the NFL right now. I asked him some casual question about the Falcons the other day because I know he used to care. I guess he hasn't watched a second of it since the whole kneeling thing began. He went on for like 5 minutes about how ridiculous it was for the players to kneel.

This is a guy who is as nice and mild-mannered as can be. It's rare for him to put more than a couple of sentences together... Only really speaks when he feels as though he has something to say. No idle chatter.

It was an eye-opener for me because I really don't care about the whole thing. I think the protests are dumb and misguided, but it won't keep me from watching the games. I don't care a lick what the players think. I just enjoy watching (gambling on) football.

But clearly it is an issue for people... And it isn't just the far right wing.

It's like what, 10 fucking guys out of a league with 2,000 active players and coaches ? What's the big deal ? How does that reflect poorly on the whole league (without even debating whether it reflects poorly on those 10 guys, which it doesn't) ?

BLM protests in the streets: I wish they would find a more peaceful, quiet way to protest
NFL players kneel: How dare they silently protest during this big loud song ?!

NFL players have chosen to protest a real and serious problem in a manner that is highly offensive to people who are genuinely grateful for our founding documents and for the freedom that we yet possess notwithstanding repeated, mighty efforts to take it from us...freedom defended by real suffering and loss. The problem of injustice, which does exist, should not be addressed in a way that disrespects the whole of our national existence and history. Objecting that disrespect for the national symbols is meant as no disrespect to patriotic Americans and veterans is a hopeless contradiction and appears disingenuous. The NFL should find another more suitable method of expressing its concern for social injustice. So long as it disrespects our National Anthem and flag, I will stand against it.

That is so strange. I thought that since all these guys played high school football, they became real men.

This method of protest is about as respectful a method of protest as you can get it was cleared with a veteran. Let's be honest no level of protest would be acceptable to Trump and his band of cultists.

I wish people would just be honest and say they support unjust practices and they hate that people disagree with those practices.

Protests are intended to make people uncomfortable. It's not a protest if someone stands up and boldly proclaims "today is Friday" as everyone fervently nods their heads in agreement.

I served in the military, I delivered the flag that flew above our camp the day one of our guys died to his widow, and for that reason it would take a lot for me personally to protest the flag

having said that, the oath I swore was to the Constitution, not the flag; if people choose to protest the flag in a way that does not interfere with others, that is 100% their right

I am not nearly the NFL fan I was as a kid, but I pin that on Ben Roethlisberger and Ray Lewis (and, quite separately, Mike Webster and Nick Buoniconti and Jim McMahon, among many others) - not Kaepernick, Jenkins, etc.

The military fought hard for our freedom -- for me to tell you how to act

Representatives from each NFL team could request (demand) a formal meeting with the police commissioners of each NFL city. They could request policy statements regarding the treatment of minorities suspected of crimes. They could present policy statements of their own which they want to see implemented.

Then they could engage with gang leaders and seek to do everything possible to lessen the violence in minority communities.

Protesting the National Anthem is mere tokenism. It accomplishes little to address the real problems and it alienates people...including some who deeply care for America.

Don't accuse me supporting unjust practices. I hate injustice. Disrespecting our national institutions has nothing to do with correcting injustice. Respecting our flag and National Anthem has nothing to do with supporting Trump.

It must be convenient to just lump everyone who disagrees with you into a preconceived category and dismiss them. It's not intellectually honest or fair; but it is convenient. And enables you to sing to the choir and get a rousing Amen. Carry on. I'm finished here.

they're not protesting the flag or national anthem, they're protesting DURING the national anthem, which is a prominent time in the game to draw attention to their cause.

Boggles my mind how divisive the National Anthem issue has become. Such a waste of time.

Realize this is heresy, but I don't understand why the Anthem is played before games of any kind (except on July 4).

It's not played before plays and concerts (or at least most concerts) and other large public gatherings. Up through WW2, the Anthem was only played on opening day and in the WS for baseball; it generally wasn't played before other sporting events. After WW2, the NFL started playing it before games and MLB teams had the discretion to play it or not (the Cubs didn't start regularly playing the NA until the 1960s). At the games when it is played today, while most people stand, many spend their time during the anthem to talk, piss, eat, take a sip off their beverage, text, pick their nose, elbow their significant other, ogling the hottest chick in their section, whatever. I guess by acting like the Anthem is just something to get through before the game starts (which really is what many people do as it has become just a perfunctory pre-game routine - yes, heresy, but the truth) that is sufficiently honoring America, but if one spends their time during the Anthem to kneel and actually think about our country that is disrespectful?

OTOH, IMO, don't see the decision by the handful of players that do kneel as accomplishing a thing. It has not brought about social change even by a small degree. At this point, seems like those players that do kneel, do so mostly because they know it bothers a segment of people that they want to bother. Pissing others off may be fun, but it's not productive.

Finally, group think is an insidious tool. It is the antithesis of freedom. If individuals choose to kneel while others stand, they are exercising their rights as free individuals. Using force, whether physical, economic or emotional/mental/peer pressure to get others to conform is the hallmark of an authoritarian regime, not a free society.

Last edited:
Representatives from each NFL team could request (demand) a formal meeting with the police commissioners of each NFL city. They could request policy statements regarding the treatment of minorities suspected of crimes. They could present policy statements of their own which they want to see implemented.

Then they could engage with gang leaders and seek to do everything possible to lessen the violence in minority communities.

Protesting the National Anthem is mere tokenism. It accomplishes little to address the real problems and it alienates people...including some who deeply care for America.

Don't accuse me supporting unjust practices. I hate injustice. Disrespecting our national institutions has nothing to do with correcting injustice. Respecting our flag and National Anthem has nothing to do with supporting Trump.

It must be convenient to just lump everyone who disagrees with you into a preconceived category and dismiss them. It's not intellectually honest or fair; but it is convenient. And enables you to sing to the choir and get a rousing Amen. Carry on. I'm finished here.

Protesting "the national anthem" (which they're not protesting) has raised one hell of a lot of awareness to the issue.

If you support the national anthem, the flag and the founding ideas of this country then you should support the ability to protest the flag and anthem even if that was what you have twisted the protest into. If your rube mind can’t comprehend why this is then you are upset by something else, for most it’s the color of the protestors skin.

giphy.gif

MARCHING IN THE STREETS IS DISRESPECTFUL TO TRAFFIC !!

If you support the national anthem, the flag and the founding ideas of this country then you should support the ability to protest the flag and anthem even if that was what you have twisted the protest into. If your rube mind can’t comprehend why this is then you are upset by something else, for most it’s the color of the protestors skin.

I said I was finished and I am with this.

I have not said that anyone is doing anything illegal or that there should be legal punishments. I contend that it is disrespectful to the nation that provides the freedom to protest. It is disrespectful to efforts made to preserve the freedom to protest and to make insane amounts of money playing a game for entertainment. I am saying there should be a way to make the point that does not reflect that disrespect. And I am saying that I disagree with it and that I am willing to express that disagreement. If the players have the freedom to protest, I should have the freedom to disagree without being castigated. The amazing intolerance of the tolerant.

Protesting "the national anthem" (which they're not protesting) has raised one hell of a lot of awareness to the issue.

Yeah. I doubt mebane and Pilchard would take time out of their day to care about it otherwise.

I don't even know if that's true. We get a story every week or two about the same sort of police brutality related to race that we've been getting for years, while a bunch of NFL fans, current and former complain about the protests, while either completely ignoring their reason or giving meaningless commentary on the issue.

mebanedeac painted himself into a corner in his description of those who don't like the protests.

I said I was finished and I am with this.

I have not said that anyone is doing anything illegal or that there should be legal punishments. I contend that it is disrespectful to the nation that provides the freedom to protest. It is disrespectful to efforts made to preserve the freedom to protest and to make insane amounts of money playing a game for entertainment. I am saying there should be a way to make the point that does not reflect that disrespect. And I am saying that I disagree with it and that I am willing to express that disagreement. If the players have the freedom to protest, I should have the freedom to disagree without being castigated. The amazing intolerance of the tolerant.

You're saying you disagree with someone's point. We're saying we disagree with your point. What am I missing ?

Back