• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread - Will the Zags Go Unbeaten?

If I let my hair grow a little longer, I wonder if I could get it styled like UCLA's Tyger Campbell.

on a weeknight, I would get it, but there is seemingly no reason not to start games around noon

nearly 50% of the country's population lives in the eastern time zone

So, which is it:
1. The PAC12 was underrated all year and its strong teams just beat up on each other

or

2. A few of its teams got lucky/hot at the right time, but the teams aren’t really that good.

It makes no sense why the championship game is on Monday night at 9:00pm. Final four should be Friday, championship on Sunday at 7:00.

PAC 12 cleverly waited until the Tournament to pull out elite free throw defense.

Bama loses in OT after shooting 11 for 25 (44%) from the line. Pathetic.

UCLA scores 23 points in a 5 minute overtime!
They scored 25 in the entire 2nd half.

on a weeknight, I would get it, but there is seemingly no reason not to start games around noon

nearly 50% of the country's population lives in the eastern time zone

And this year it works great because the best ball is definitely being played WAY Out West.
Juice, is that anything like 100% of all untaken shots arent made?
Or dare I say, Almost half the country voted Red? Makes no difference in the scoreboard.

It makes no sense why the championship game is on Monday night at 9:00pm. Final four should be Friday, championship on Sunday at 7:00.

The championship game is essentially an afterthought after the build-up leading up to the Final Four. Final Four Saturday has always been the crown jewel of the final weekend of play. I don't see that ever moving off of Saturday. I do think it would make more sense to start the championship game closer to 8:30pm (rather than like 9:17pm, when it seems to tip off), but CBS seems to like that late tip-off.

Interesting comments about guys moving from low/mid majors and playing major roles on the two Pac 12 teams in the final sweet 16 game. Utah Valley, College of Charleston, Wofford.

So, which is it:
1. The PAC12 was underrated all year and its strong teams just beat up on each other

or

2. A few of its teams got lucky/hot at the right time, but the teams aren’t really that good.

USC has been legit. UCLA has played well, but they would lose most of the time to Bama. Oregon St got a bit lucky in that Loyola had a terrible game shooting open treys.

Believe that this is the first time ever with no line on an Elite 8 game less than 7. Unfortunately, the best dog, USC, is playing the top rated team in the tourney. Would be nice to have competitive games to get to the Final 4.

FWIW, the current Oregon State run is one for the ages, but it may not be generating the same buzz because they are Power V conference team.... barely. The Beavers program sits at the bottom of the barrel Power conference teams. Until this season, the Beavers had made once NCAA tournament in 31 years. They had not won an NCAA Tourney game since 1982 -- 39 years. The consensus is that WF has had a disappointing NCAA Tourney history, and going into this season, WF had won 19 NCAA Tourney games since the Beavers last NCAA win.

With that backdrop, no Power Conference team has had such an unexpected Elite 8 run. On February 14 (6 weeks ago), Oregon State fell to 10-10 (6-8 in the Pac 12). They were the #123 rated team in the country. By way of comparison that was the same weekend that WF lost in OT to Florida State. At that time, WF was rated #109 in the country. Yes, to that point in the 2021 season, WF was a better team than the Oregon State Beavers. Think about how far the 2021 Deacs were from being an Elite 8 team at any point of the season. WF couldn't beat Pitt's bench-warmers. WF couldn't hold a 17 point lead against 11th place ND in the ACC Tourney. That helps paint the picture of how unlikely Oregon State's rise has been.

Since Valentine's Day, the Beavers have gone 10-2, won 6 straight and consecutively beaten teams rated: #16, #15, #9, #27, #34, #10 -- that would be an awesome run for Gonzaga. The Beavs only path to the NCAAs was to win the Pac 12 tournament, and the Beavs beat 3 NCAA Tourney teams (including fellow Elite 8 participant UCLA) just to win the conference tournament. To follow up an unexpected Pac 12 title, Oregon State has not only won 3 more NCAA games, but they have never trailed in the 2nd half of any of their NCAA Tourney games. Other than Gonzaga, no other team in the field has had an easier time getting the Elite 8. Tonight, the Beavers are again expected to lose as Houston is giving 7.5 (up to 8) to the Beavers.

Oregon State's magical run defies any logical explanation. Truly March Madness.

Last edited:
The championship game is essentially an afterthought after the build-up leading up to the Final Four. Final Four Saturday has always been the crown jewel of the final weekend of play. I don't see that ever moving off of Saturday. I do think it would make more sense to start the championship game closer to 8:30pm (rather than like 9:17pm, when it seems to tip off), but CBS seems to like that late tip-off.

same with the college football championship on a Monday night when college is never played on a Monday except like Labor Day and random other bowls. make the championship a Saturday, or if that conflicts with the NFL playoffs, a Friday. it's not like the Final Four where you need a rest day -- there's enough time between the semis and the final that you can put it on whatever day of the week you want.

My guess is the networks don’t care as much about total eyeballs but more eyeballs in the 18-34 demographic.

Back