• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Whether TX flips or not has little to do with the inherent disconnect of a candidate winning the Presidency when losing the popular vote by several million citizens.

This would also be the case if a Republican got several million more votes and lost the EC.

We really don’t know what a popular vote election would look like. There have to be plenty of people on all sides who don’t bother to vote because they’re in noncompetitive districts in solid blue or red states.

Elizabeth Warren is looking great on MSNBC.

But I don’t trust women what wears the pantsuit.

How is her charisma/electability?

I think she’s charismatic enough. I’m worried about her electability.

She has a working class background that she communicate well, but her voice doesn’t sound like it.

I Want to Live in Elizabeth Warren’s America

Op ed in NYT

...But then, in the discussion that followed, I realized what a service Warren had done, even if I disagreed with her precise approach. For months, commentators had been debating the generalities of policing tech. Now a politician had put forward a detailed plan for how to do so, sparking an intense policy discussion that was breaking new analytical ground. For a moment, it almost felt like I was living in a country where adults discuss important issues seriously. Wouldn’t that be a nice country to live in?

This race could have been about so much less. These days, all politics seem to narrow upon the orange pate of a single narcissistic man, and some Democrats have been keen to keep pounding that drum. To paraphrase a famous quip, there are only three things Joe Biden mentions in a sentence: A noun, a verb, and Donald Trump.

The only way to liberate ourselves from Trumpism is through politics that rise above Trumpian silliness. For that, for now, we have Elizabeth Warren to thank.

Whether TX flips or not has little to do with the inherent disconnect of a candidate winning the Presidency when losing the popular vote by several million citizens.

This would also be the case if a Republican got several million more votes and lost the EC.

This, IMO, will be the only way we get rid of the EC. But it won't happen because there are a bunch of blue states who have pledged their EV's to the popular vote winner.

Ryan Grim at the Intercept has a new book out about Rahm Immanuel that is really good. The guy has been insisting on the same losing strategy the DCCC/DNC have had for 30 years, that if we fundraise enough and put out a bland enough centrist, we can win any seat. Just gotta browbeat progressives (this has been the position of the MSM on him until about a decade ago, that he curses a lot, mostly at progressives within his party), ignore GOTV strategies, and try to get back those blue dog/Reagan/Southern dem votes instead of going after working class rural votes everywhere with populism. His new post at the Atlantic is absurdism at its finest. All the stuff he's yelling about being important right now for Dem candidates (anti-Iraq war, hurting middle class with tax cuts, inequality) are all policy positions he's staked his career on (ran for office supporting the war, extended Bush tax cuts w/Obama, fought hard to protect bankers getting bonuses as part of bank bailout, fought against UAW in auto bailout, etc.). He starts his career as a fundraiser and he's outstanding at it age 20-22, and it forms the framework for how he sees the party winning elections going forward, so he essentially tanks the Jesse Jackson Rainbow Coalition run right before he's about to win Wisconsin and convinces the party to run Dukakis who gets completely slammed. He's got like a 10% win percentage nationally, and was an objectively awful mayor with scandal after scandal, shuttering a ton of public schools, refusing hundreds of millions of federal public housing money, etc.

All I can think reading it is that it all reminds me so much of cville and ITC. People who are so sure that their election strategies will work in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Actively fighting grassroots campaigns and insisting PAC money works better than microdonations from masses. Furious about primarying bad corporate flunkies with progressives.

I think the issue is many Democrats are white guys who believe the only way to win is to get votes from white guys like it’s the 80s. The math just doesn’t work like that anymore.

That too. Rainbow Coalition woulda won is the new (old) Bernie woulda won.

Ryan Grim at the Intercept has a new book out about Rahm Immanuel that is really good. The guy has been insisting on the same losing strategy the DCCC/DNC have had for 30 years, that if we fundraise enough and put out a bland enough centrist, we can win any seat. Just gotta browbeat progressives (this has been the position of the MSM on him until about a decade ago, that he curses a lot, mostly at progressives within his party), ignore GOTV strategies, and try to get back those blue dog/Reagan/Southern dem votes instead of going after working class rural votes everywhere with populism. His new post at the Atlantic is absurdism at its finest. All the stuff he's yelling about being important right now for Dem candidates (anti-Iraq war, hurting middle class with tax cuts, inequality) are all policy positions he's staked his career on (ran for office supporting the war, extended Bush tax cuts w/Obama, fought hard to protect bankers getting bonuses as part of bank bailout, fought against UAW in auto bailout, etc.). He starts his career as a fundraiser and he's outstanding at it age 20-22, and it forms the framework for how he sees the party winning elections going forward, so he essentially tanks the Jesse Jackson Rainbow Coalition run right before he's about to win Wisconsin and convinces the party to run Dukakis who gets completely slammed. He's got like a 10% win percentage nationally, and was an objectively awful mayor with scandal after scandal, shuttering a ton of public schools, refusing hundreds of millions of federal public housing money, etc.

All I can think reading it is that it all reminds me so much of cville and ITC. People who are so sure that their election strategies will work in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Actively fighting grassroots campaigns and insisting PAC money works better than microdonations from masses. Furious about primarying bad corporate flunkies with progressives.

hey, crawl out of your own ass and fuck yourself. i said i was pulling for Mayor Pete and Warren/Mayor Pete

Rahm Immanuel looks like a guy that works in Wake's Athletic Department.

Rahm doesn’t strike me as a blue blazer with gold buttons and khaki kinda guy

hey, crawl out of your own ass and fuck yourself. i said i was pulling for Mayor Pete and Warren/Mayor Pete

You've shit talked bernie bros with utter contempt since 2016. Dismissing an entire wing of the party is exactly what I'm talking about. I searched your name and bernie bro on the politics board and saw 70+ hits. Just calling it like I see it.

Also have you considered that it'd be easier to fuck myself from up my own ass?

You've shit talked bernie bros with utter contempt since 2016. Dismissing an entire wing of the party is exactly what I'm talking about. I searched your name and bernie bro on the politics board and saw 70+ hits. Just calling it like I see it.

Bernie Bros suck. You just said you were done with Bernie. I'm all in on Warren and it sounds like ITC is too. You trying to be the new MHB? All I really care about is that whoever the party puts up, every on the left votes for that person and doesn't take their ball and go home.

Back