• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I didn't get to watch much of the debates, was busy watching the USMNT struggle against Panama, but from what I did get to see and what I've read and watched clips of, the lower-tier candidates are actually really important for keeping the frontrunners honest (except for Gabbard, I still don't know wtf she's in this race for). The Democratic 2020 race will not descend into the clown car that was the 2016 Republican race because the low tier candidates actually know their shit about certain things. I saw the clip of Castro and Beto going back and forth (debate whether Beto is a frontrunner all you want) and in a different time, Beto might get away with that answer. But not with Castro on the stage. Inslee is similar on climate, and Booker is the same on mass incarceration. I feel like this frames the debates into actual issues of fact, not soundbites, which really does favor Warren who 1) knows her stuff, and 2) likely has a substantive policy proposal to go with her knowledge.

If the top candidates don't come correct, they're going to get exposed.

With a smaller group Inslee would have done better. He's actually done a lot of what the others are talking about as goals.

With a smaller group Inslee would have done better. He's actually done a lot of what the others are talking about as goals.

I saw Klobuchar checked him pretty hard on that though re: abortion. If you're getting soundbited by the 9th place candidate in the polls, you're not going to have much staying power.

Or would the word be "soundbitten"?

I could see Inslee being EPA Administrator.

Beto is out of his league.

Lawrence O'Brien is an arrogant douchebag. He went off on Donnie Deutch about Deutch's assertion that Warren would lose to Trump due to attacks on her. Deutch is worth into nine figures by understanding what the public buys and why. I'll take his guesstimate over O'Brien's in this today and tomorrow.

I saw Klobuchar checked him pretty hard on that though re: abortion. If you're getting soundbited by the 9th place candidate in the polls, you're not going to have much staying power.

Agreed. That's kind of how I viewed success/failure with this debate.

I wish there were some way to make the debates/nomination about picking the ideas/policies to run with, rather than the candidate. Inslee is not going to win, but we should use his climate plan. Bennet is not going to win, but we should use his child poverty plan. Beto's immigration plan seems pretty good, etc, etc.

Lawrence O'Brien is an arrogant douchebag. He went off on Donnie Deutch about Deutch's assertion that Warren would lose to Trump due to attacks on her. Deutch is worth into nine figures by understanding what the public buys and why. I'll take his guesstimate over O'Brien's in this today and tomorrow.

This?

de Blasio shouting from the side of the stage was awkward. As was "I'm the only one here with a black son."

Could've done without him, Ryan, Gabbard, and Delaney taking up time.

I'll kick in a few $s to get Inslee to the next round of debates.

It was nice to see Castro shine a bit. He's been putting out policies but not getting as much attention as others.

Beto seemed to be the most common target, and he was not prepared.

I missed some of it but from what I did see, Castro won the first TX Democrat Senate primary debate.

Beto made sense as a target. Most of the stage is trying to get where he is right now and it’s a reasonable goal that would get them into the second round of debates. They’re looking for a bump. I thought the idea candidates tonight would go after Biden were silly. It’s rude to talk about people who aren’t there especially if they’re on the same team. I don’t think tonight’s slate will go after Biden much either except Bernie. People who like Biden now are still going to like him come Iowa but they may choose a different candidate. They probably won’t switch to someone who treats Biden like the enemy.

Last edited:
This?

Sorry, she would get run over by Trump.

Of course, the biggest problem the Dem candidate will have is that the national DNC, local and state chapters and even PACs/SuperPACs are gutless, spineless and have no cajones to tell the truth about Trump. If they had any of the above, they would be able to destroy Trump in AZ, FL, PA, MI, WI and maybe even GA and NC while strengthening NM, CO and NV.

Trump's border policies have KILLED eleven innocent children.

There are no such things as "many fine people" who scream "Sieg Heil" or "White Power" of "Jews Will Not Replace Us".

His saying Latin Americans coming to America for freedom are "animals" and "bringing disease", along with treatment of families and caging children away from their parents should be appalling to all and a get out the vote call above anything we have seen in decades.

His overt racism should be used in ads to bring out the black and Hispanic vote as well as white people who have a conscience.

There are many other low hanging fruits of his evil. The problem is Dems are too weak to destroy him.

Hell, Dems are too weak to even go after Jim Jordan covering for a serial sexual predator colleague and then lying about it.

The biggest problem with this election is Dem leadership is a collection of punk ass, cowardly wimps.

Back