• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I'm very interested in the idea of expanding public housing

Vienna is held up as a model, with 62% of residents living in state-owned housing

would be curious to get Vad's take on the program

I like expanding public housing but I’m wary of the environmental impact of more and more building projects.

I'm very interested in the idea of expanding public housing

Vienna is held up as a model, with 62% of residents living in state-owned housing

would be curious to get Vad's take on the program

He thinks it's beautiful and Americans are awful.

Interesting follow up info on the WFP endorsement, curious that Bernie turned down an easy and obvious opportunity to help get that endorsement again

I don't know anything about it.

You should check it out. LA, Santa Monica, and maybe SF have all passed airbnb and other short-term rental-related ordinances in their respective city councils recently. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

I like expanding public housing but I’m wary of the environmental impact of more and more building projects.

It's impossible to deny the supply crisis, though, in a lot of the country and the affordability crisis that comes along with it. In a sense, we have to "build our way out of it" while also codifying protections for homeowners and tenants to protect them while housing markets stabilize long term.

doesn't have to be new construction to becoming public housing

It's true, though the risk is that the oldest, arguably worst housing stock would be converted. The biggest scandal about the public housing construction of yesterday is how cheaply and horribly it was constructed in a lot of jurisdictions. I guess that I don't trust the federal government to re-purpose even decent housing stock for public housing.

Are you referring to some form of large-scale housing de-commodification?

big picture, yeah

but another tool is to shift existing adequate housing stock into public land trusts to keep it affordable, especially in areas at risk of gentrification where the buildings are in good shape

You should check it out. LA, Santa Monica, and maybe SF have all passed airbnb and other short-term rental-related ordinances in their respective city councils recently. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

https://la.curbed.com/2019/7/1/20677554/los-angeles-new-airbnb-rules-2019

https://planning.lacity.org/ordinances/docs/HomeSharing/adopted/FAQ.pdf

If that's it, the rules seem very weak and don't include any taxes. Hotels can't get away with that.

There aren't many rules protecting the occupants.

RJ bitching about AirBnB is so on-brand Boomer it's pathetic.

What a shock that Biff and ADT continue their obsession with me and stop thinking?

What about things like cleanliness for the patrons? What about being accessible for the guest? What about the noise and other impacts for the neighbors? Those are just a few aspects here.

So, yep, it's all about protecting mega-companies and not patrons or neighbors.

Your hatred is childish and ignorant...as usual...

The last thing I want is for somebody to mess up what a good thing Airbnb is

big picture, yeah

but another tool is to shift existing adequate housing stock into public land trusts to keep it affordable, especially in areas at risk of gentrification where the buildings are in good shape

Is that the Vienna model that you mentioned above?

It's impossible to deny the supply crisis, though, in a lot of the country and the affordability crisis that comes along with it. In a sense, we have to "build our way out of it" while also codifying protections for homeowners and tenants to protect them while housing markets stabilize long term.

I guess. But we also need to be creative. There are plenty of abandoned homes. Tiny homes and stackable modular homes are feasible for transitional housing in rural areas and exurbs. I like the idea of dorm style residences aimed at urban young professionals. Older buildings could be converted.

I like how RJ somehow thinks people are forced into Air BnBs.

Where did I say anything that remotely resembles this?

BTW, AirBnb is worth about $35B. They ain't exactly a small company.

Keep putting billionaires above their customers.

Back