• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Primary

That’s the problem. Racism wouldn’t be solved by addressing class issues. Class issues result from race and gender issues.

For example, poor white people get caught up in the destruction of the social safety net for the purpose of keeping minorities down.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I concluded that Bernie realized that legislating away people's irrational hatreds (e.g., racism) is not possible, and so his focus is not using the tools at government's disposal to reduce class divisions and elevate the poor and working classes. I don't really know what a president can do to end racism, but I am admittedly coming at any racism issue from a place of relative naivete and privilege since I am white male raised in a fairly wealthy (~top 5%) Christian (are Catholics considered Christians?) household.

Where have you been? Trump has said he and he alone ended racism on Day One of his presidency.

Never an issue in 95% white Burlington Vermont

There are more black people in South Bend than all of Vermont. About 3 times more. More black people probably voted for Pete in two mayoral elections than voted for Bernie in three senate elections. Somebody needs to ask Bernie why Vermont is 93% white.

Pete’s being punished for actually having black constituents compared to senators who don’t actually have to deal with these issues on the ground.

Why doesn’t Bloomberg and all the Dems just run ads about how bad Trump is botching this Coronavirus thing

Why doesn’t Bloomberg and all the Dems just run ads about how bad Trump is botching this Coronavirus thing

No idea. Like I’ve said plenty of times before Republicans have provided a blueprint for how to control the message with lies.

Democrats can do the same thing except with the truth. Trump is who Republicans imagined Obama to be. Just pull out the Republican 2014 playbook with Ebola except for real.

The ad needs work, but it is a fine line to walk between pointing out Trump's obvious incompetence and fueling a national panic.

Because politicizing the unknown could backfire right now.

Because Trump is going to get in the lab and engineer a cure? It’s not politicizing the unknown. It’s pointing out how he’s screwed up so far.

If Pete doesn’t get the nomination, I’d love to see him form a coalition of current and former red state mayors to help them to continue in leadership in their states, in the party, and in federal government. This guy from Jackson, the dude from Huntsville, and the guy who kinda ran for president from FL would be good additions.

I agree, except that I don't see what higher offices they could win in a deep-red state. Barring some fluke situation like Doug Jones, who landed the perfect opponent in a special election, I don't see these people winning a US Senate or Governor's race. That's the problem for guys like Buttigieg, it's hard to see him winning a statewide race in Indiana in the current political climate. He could win a House race in a good district and gain some national experience and leadership from there, so that's a possibility, not just for Buttigieg but these other people you mentioned.

That’s part of the point.

Perhaps these mayors would be more competitive than other Dems have been. Look at how former Tallahasse mayor Andrew Gillum hit 49% in the governors race. He outperformed every recent Dem including a former Republican Governor, former CFO who won statewide (both Deacs), and House rep.

Other destinations would be state legislature or cabinet positions like Castro did. Maybe they pursue open House races or are encouraged to move to challenge a House Pub.

The important thing is to keep them active in the party in some way shape or form.

Steyer has just pulled out of the race.

The delegate count is going to be very close after tonight. It's almost a certainty that Biden will pass Bernie in total votes for the four states.

Another joke candidate is gone. Bye, Steyer..

Another joke candidate is gone. Bye, Steyer..

He jumped in for one race and stole some votes from Biden. Bloomberg will do the same on Tuesday.

Crazy stuff.

Last edited:
Wonder what I’ll see on ad breaks now

I'm going to be really happy to see Tuesday over. I must get 50+ emails about the campaign and enough snail mail to build a cabin from all the trees they are killing to print them.

Speculation on CNN that Pete and Amy haven’t given speeches because they’re planning to drop out.

Back