• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 MLB Season Thread -- Rays v. Dodgers -- Small Payroll v. Large Payroll

Jesse Rogers just said the theory is they got the virus from a pilot or flight attendant when they flew from Atlanta to Philadelphia.

The inherent flaw in a non-bubble approach. Certainly a bubble approach has different flaws, as we’re seeing with NBA players leaving and/or “guests” coming into the bubble, but when you introduce travel into the equation, and all the other people that come with it, controlling the spread becomes exponentially more difficult.

I’d like to think the silver lining here is this serves as an eye-opener, not just for MLB and sports, but for other areas that are trying to force a return to normal.

Haha, just kidding, nothing matters anymore.

I find it hard to believe that MLB didn't anticipate that at least one team-wide outbreak would happen, and yet it genuinely seems like they don't have an adequate response plan in place for this. I'm getting the impression the entire plan was to just wait until this happens, cancel the season, and tell everyone "oh well we tried"

So if the season ends today, Jackie Bradley Jr supplants Hugh Duffy, and .636 is the new batting average to beat.

New rule, the players now all have to take individual busses from city to city, and instead of sitting in the dugout, they have to sit 6 ft away from each other in the stands behind the dug out

New rule, the players now all have to take individual busses from city to city, and instead of sitting in the dugout, they have to sit 6 ft away from each other in the stands behind the dug out

The NBA already thought of this one, right? Weird that MLB just implemented it.

If it even makes it that far. The Marlins should be shut down for two weeks minimum, but they’ll never do that.

The NBA shut down their season for less, although with the obvious caveat that it was early in the outbreak when it was more of an unknown. It might take a player literally dying for MLB to cancel the season.

The inherent flaw in a non-bubble approach. Certainly a bubble approach has different flaws, as we’re seeing with NBA players leaving and/or “guests” coming into the bubble, but when you introduce travel into the equation, and all the other people that come with it, controlling the spread becomes exponentially more difficult.

I’d like to think the silver lining here is this serves as an eye-opener, not just for MLB and sports, but for other areas that are trying to force a return to normal.

Haha, just kidding, nothing matters anymore.

On the other hand, a bubble for MLB would be very difficult to do.

The NBA and NHL can do it since there's a lot more control in the environment. In both sports, you have games that, unless you go to overtime, you have a pretty good idea exactly how long it's going to take. That makes scheduling multiple games in the same day much easier for starters, while in baseball a game could be done in 2:20 or 3:50, you never know. The NBA and NHL also are using venues that have multiple locker rooms that are accessible to the playing surface - most MLB parks don't have more than two locker rooms able to hold a MLB-sized team. That doesn't even mention that the way in and out to the field is via the dugouts, which are connected to said clubhouses.

In addition, there isn't really one or two places that have the capacity to hold 10 MLB teams at once and have everything meet Major League standards - lighting, bullpens, training/recovery, etc. Maybe the Wide World of Sports at Disney could do most of it, but I doubt they could handle 22 NBA teams, the MLS and MLB all at the same time.

I think the best way it could’ve been done would be a spring training sites. The ones in AZ are incredibly close to each other & in Florida, they’re a bus ride away. But that raises the issue of no domes or anything except a couple of MLB stadiums nearby.

I was just joking, would be entertaining to watch the whole team just spread out in the stands watching the game

I actually think they're doing this already to some extent. I was listening to a game the other day and they mentioned that some players, I believe it was starting pitchers, were sitting in the stands behind home plate rather than sitting in the dugout.

Marlins now have 15 players that have tested positive.

MLB puts the pause button on the Marlins season. Looks like they won't be playing for at least a week.

If the Fish finish the regular season at 2-1, they make the playoffs.

The Phillies may not play until Friday. Sounds like the MLB is moving toward just making up the schedule as you go.

Last edited:
Back