• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Senate Races

Given that polls have shown his support is collapsing in Maine, maybe he's secretly trying to help her get reelected by attacking her. Nah. Just another fun personal insult day for Dear Leader.

The Ben Sasse anti-Trump rant still has me perplexed. He doesn’t seem like a guy who would just lose his composure like this after four years of only lightly criticizing Trump.

But I didn’t realize Sasse was up for reelection. I didn’t hear anything about the race and regardless it’s Nebraska.

So I looked it up and the Dem primary had a scandal and doesn’t have the support of the party. The party favors a write-in candidate. So Dems could be split on Sasse's opponent. As far as I can tell there’s no polling for the senate race.

However, NE-2 (Omaha) is strong for Biden. NE-1 (Lincoln) is close according to this poll even thought Trump won it by 16% in 2016: https://nebraskademocrats.org/blog/...bolz-within-striking-distance-of-fortenberry/

It seems like Sasse shouldn’t be worried but maybe his internal polling is telling him differently.

this guy fucking serves with her

The Ben Sasse anti-Trump rant still has me perplexed. He doesn’t seem like a guy who would just lose his composure like this after four years of only lightly criticizing Trump.

But I didn’t realize Sasse was up for reelection. I didn’t hear anything about the race and regardless it’s Nebraska.

So I looked it up and the Dem primary had a scandal and doesn’t have the support of the party. The party favors a write-in candidate. So Dems could be split on Sasse's opponent. As far as I can tell there’s no polling for the senate race.

However, NE-2 (Omaha) is strong for Biden. NE-1 (Lincoln) is close according to this poll even thought Trump won it by 16% in 2016: https://nebraskademocrats.org/blog/...bolz-within-striking-distance-of-fortenberry/

It seems like Sasse shouldn’t be worried but maybe his internal polling is telling him differently.

Yeah this was my initial reaction when I read the story as well.

Why come out so hard against Trump now after being a light apologist for the guy for 4 years?

Something doesn’t add up here.

Why come out so hard against Trump now after being a light apologist for the guy for 4 years?

Is this a bat signal that he might vote "no" on ACB? Especially if there are four republicans doing that? Collins, Sasse, Murkowski? and ?????

No way. Getting ACB on is why they've been selling their souls to Trump in the first place.

Speaking of races that shouldn't be close.

What do you expect him to say to supporters? We're getting pounded, please keep sending cash? Ignore public polling?

McSalley just did an interview saying they are even in internals, despite being down in 10 straight public polls. Same thing.

He wants to run for President in 2024. Laying the groundwork now. He’s predicting a blue wave and wants a record of not being a sycophant in 4 years and show how he was a man of principle.

He wants to run for President in 2024. Laying the groundwork now. He’s predicting a blue wave and wants a record of not being a sycophant in 4 years and show how he was a man of principle.

Yup this was exactly my take too. I think 538 has him at 99%+ to win. This is about 2024, not 2020...

Yeah. I think that is an awful take on the Republican Party. The Pub base truly believes in Trump and they aren’t going to stop just because he loses. And they aren’t going to appreciate people who abandoned him early.

The Republican base will certainly choose a more polished version of Trump if not Trump himself. Trump has 94% approval rating among Republicans. He’s had over 90% approval within the GOP during the entire pandemic except for one poll in June. This is his best year of approval among Republicans.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/presidential-approval-ratings-donald-trump.aspx

Last edited:
That’s in part because a lot of real conservatives no longer identify as Republican. Trump isn’t conservative. He’s a nationalist populist neo fascist.

Well those will be the people voting in the Republican primary.

For the record, GOP party affiliation hasn’t changed that much over Trump’s time in office. It’s been in the high 20s with some peaks in the low 30s. It’s not enough to explain the high approval.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx

I think this is the right take as well. That said, what Sasse has to sell (a more traditional brand of conservatism) is not what the Pub base is buying these days. The party has become a populist white nationalist party, which is why I don't see someone like Sasse or Haley getting the nomination unless they are willing to sellout their prior beliefs and embrace their inner Trump - which I can see Haley more easily doing than Sasse. I certainly could be wrong, but I see the 2024 Pub nominee being more of a Don Jr. or a Cotton, not a Bush or a Romney type.

Back