• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

So are they gonna continue the hybrid model or is Cam gonna start?

Gotta think Cam starts at home with a full week of preparation. Pretty amazing that he was able to do what he did off the street barely knowing the staff and his teammates.

You have to start Cam. PJ was fine but it’s Cam’s job.

I think the Panthers have faced 45 different Arizona Cardinals quarterbacks in our 27 seasons in the NFL

So the Panthers new regime handling of the QB position:

1) cut Cam
2) sign the middling Bridgwater to a $63MM deal - about half of his $20MM this year you are still on the hook for this year - and trade him away
3) trade a 2nd, 4th, and 6th round picks to the Jets for Sam Darnold
4) don't draft any of the good QB prospects in last year's draft (Fields, Jones etc were there)
5) pick up the 5th year option on Darnold for next year for $19MM making him the 15th highest paid QB in the league before ever seeing him play a down for you
6) do nothing of interest to help your terrible offensive line
7) watch Darnold once again prove himself to be the worst QB in the NFL
8) bring Cam back

Solid work

The one in bold to me is the most egregious of them all.

Last edited:
Absolute horrid handling of the QB position. But we have Cam now and we get a full 1/2 season to see if he's still got it. Going in the right direction, and we will have an answer as to whether we have a QB at the end of this year at least.

I have a hard time believing you bring Cam back and don't start him but with this coaching staff anything is possible. I was listening to the Panthers radio broadcast yesterday and Jordan Gross was saying he would start PJ next week. With that said my guess is Cam starts.

They can start Cam and still play PJ as Cam learns more and more of the playbook. I don’t like two QB setups but it looks like the key going forward could be getting some Cam and some CMC to avoid having none.

My feeling is that Rhule and Fitterer thought Carolina was ready to win *now* and felt Darnold was ready to win in a new environment, and that Mac Jones and Justin Fields were projects who would require a few seasons before they were ready to start

I agree that they thought an experienced young QB in Darnold was a better option than developing Jones and Fields. I have a tough time believing they were in win now mode.

It's just hard to believe we would be in win now mode with this bad of an offensive line to start the season.

I think once the defense turned out to be good and Darnold seemed serviceable after 3 games we decided to be in win now mode.

I think once the defense turned out to be good and Darnold seemed serviceable after 3 games we decided to be in win now mode.

Right. But MDMH was saying they were in win now mode at the draft.

Hopefully this franchise (over two owners and three GMs) has given up on addressing the OL on the cheap. Just draft a stud LT in the 1st round. Do it!

My feeling is that Rhule and Fitterer thought Carolina was ready to win *now* and felt Darnold was ready to win in a new environment, and that Mac Jones and Justin Fields were projects who would require a few seasons before they were ready to start

And Rhule got an up close and personal look at Jones at the Senior Bowl - and by all accounts, he had a good week. I don't necessarily see Jones being all-pro every year or anything, but he was as ready to start in the NFL as most any young QB and will be a solid franchise QB moving forward. And I said at the time that Fields' floor was that he'd be a much more athletic version of Darnold and better at unscripted plays. My 1 worry about him from the Bama, NWern and Indiana games was his ability to read confusing coverages.

Carolina is in an even more difficult offseason this year if you don't get Watson. The probable top QB pick is Corral, who I like, but he's a 6', 200 pound running QB. He's going to have to be as judicious as Murray and Wilson are if he's going to last. I've also been increasingly impressed with Pickett. Willis will likely need to sit for a while and not be thrown to the wolves. But those 3 aren't as good as the top 5 from last year.

Rhule said Cam will get most of the first team reps this week and if ready will start

Back