• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

Okay, I'm sold on Pitts due to his #measurables.

He seems like the safest pick. Just don’t think we need a stud TE on this roster nearly as much as a LT or CB.

Throwing a 3rd round pick at a QB and praying something sticks just doesn’t seem like something the 24th best team in the NFL should be doing, especially after we found value late last year. It really sucks, but if a QB we like isn’t there at 8, we just need to move on.

Don't think he'll be there at 8

This. If Cincy opts for Sewell, he ain't making it past 6. He's the perfect antidote for anything ailing Tua. He and Chase should be the 2 receivers off the board first. If you go position player instead of QB, you probably have your choice of Bama WRs or Parsons at 8. And if you do that, I can see Belichick nabbing Lance and turning him into a pro bowler.

Throwing a 3rd round pick at a QB and praying something sticks just doesn’t seem like something the 24th best team in the NFL should be doing, especially after we found value late last year. It really sucks, but if a QB we like isn’t there at 8, we just need to move on.

Exactly. I'd be fine taking a QB late but I'd prefer just wait and get a UFA. We got that Stevens guy the staff likes. They like PJ. Got Teddy. No point in spending a pick on "a guy" at QB.

This. If Cincy opts for Sewell, he ain't making it past 6. He's the perfect antidote for anything ailing Tua. He and Chase should be the 2 receivers off the board first. If you go position player instead of QB, you probably have your choice of Bama WRs or Parsons at 8. And if you do that, I can see Belichick nabbing Lance and turning him into a pro bowler.

I could see the Bengals taking Chase.

I don't think we're in the market for Parsons.

Here’s what I just learned.

Tepper et al are still full on Watson as of now. They think he’s cheaper and they still want to get him. Tepper received a unsolicited phone call yesterday from a former coach who Watson is very close to (you can figure this one out guys) and he gave extremely good background info on Watson and just in general spoke very very high of Deshaun. I won’t get into the details but Tepper took note. The Panthers - and this might be true of other teams - are not super worried about the outcome of the massage scandal. Their research at this point (and I have not read the SI article) tells them that there’s really only one of the allegations that could be a problem. The one about forcing oral sex. I won’t get into much else on this topic for fear of offending. It’s also apparently widely thought among the NFL front offices and certainly the Panthers that the NFL will not discipline Watson in a way that would impact his ability to be on the field. It’s their mindset that in spite of what it looks like at this point, the NFL is damn sure not going to discipline a young black NFL player if they didn’t do anything to Robert Kraft a rich white owner. Apparently there are more similarities to the two situations than is being spread by the plaintiff attorney and SI etc. and that would all come out in the wash and would not be pretty for the NFL and Kraft etc. House of cards. So the NFL will likely stay as far from this as they can if possible.

The Panthers are NOT going to draft a QB in the first round. Absolutely no way. It’s likely Pitts at this point who is by far their favorite, then possibly Sewell and they also like the LSU receiver. They think Mac Jones can’t hit the broad side of a barn, same for Fields or that Fields doesn’t know where the barn is, and they are not trusting their team with a guy from North Dakota State. Period. They would draft Lawrence obviously and they would probably draft Wilson but they certainly aren’t going to be available.

I will find out more this weekend. Please don’t flame. Just trying to help

I don't know if a college coach can confirm that his former player doesn't have a proclivity for sexually assaulting massage therapists. Obviously Watson was seen as a model citizen before all this game out.

That said, that's probably the best way to play it. The NFL isn't going to do anything. Get him let Watson apologize, do whatever he's legally obligated to do, then let him rehab his image on the field and in the community. Sucks but that's how it is. Either that or be holier than thou while the Pats or god forbid the Bucs, Falcons, or Saints get him.

Last edited:
draft pitts 8, trade a 3rd rounder for darnold, spend every other draft pick on oline.

Trask, other than Oklahoma game, looked pretty good last year. Maybe Pitts and then Trask if that is possible. OT is boring but essential.

Trask is 6’5 240. What is his downside?

Mac Jones missing dudes against no defense on deep balls is funny. Don’t draft.

Official 2021 Carolina Panthers - QB or not QB? That is the question.

A 1st round stud LT would be treated like a god by Panthers fans.

Are you saying Trask in the first round? No way.

trask and darnold are the same age. darnold had a good NFL sophomore season. last season's jets were a dumpster fire from a coaching and personnel standpoint. ryan tannehill broke out in the right system in he was 30, darnold is 23. give him pitts, CMC, dj/anderson/david moore and brady running the offense. better way to use a mid round pick on a QB flyer imo.

didnt really want to do that but the way this offseason has broken really gives the panthers few options at QB. darnold should be better than teddy and is still so young there is still upside there.

Pitts
OT
Trask round 3. He was real nice until the final game or two last year.

Trask was 29-47 with 2 TDs and 2 INTs against LSU in a game.

Trask was 26-40 with 3 TDs and no INTs against Alabama in the SECCG.

He did have bad stats in half of a letdown bowl game against Oklahoma with Kyle Pitts and Kedarius Toney opting out.

I have no interst in taking Trask, ever, but he wasn't terrible to end the season and he played very well against the Alabama and Georgia defenses which will both have a lot of defensive draft picks, on the DL and in the secondary, later this month.

trask and darnold are the same age. darnold had a good NFL sophomore season. last season's jets were a dumpster fire from a coaching and personnel standpoint. ryan tannehill broke out in the right system in he was 30, darnold is 23. give him pitts, CMC, dj/anderson/david moore and brady running the offense. better way to use a mid round pick on a QB flyer imo.

didnt really want to do that but the way this offseason has broken really gives the panthers few options at QB. darnold should be better than teddy and is still so young there is still upside there.

Yeah, I don't look at Darnold as damaged goods and think that a change of scenery from the Jets would do pretty much any player some good.

New Todd McShay mock draft is out and apparently has some bonkers shit in it like the Patriots trading up to #11 to select Justin Fields, Sewell dropping out of the top ten, and Basham going to the Giants at #15.

New Todd McShay mock draft is out and apparently has some bonkers shit in it like the Patriots trading up to #11 to select Justin Fields, Sewell dropping out of the top ten, and Basham going to the Giants at #15.

I suspect Boogie's speed raised some eyebrows and his draft position.

I don't think it's bonkers. I agree with him that Atlanta takes Pitts if they stay at 4. Ryan doesn't have the kind of trade value next year that guys like Watson, Wilson and Rodgers will. No team is giving up serious draft capital for a 36 year old dinosaur. So keep Ryan another few years, take Pitts, add to the OL on day 2 and try to outscore teams. And all the mocks have Cincy taking a WR when they already have a pretty good receiving corps. So unless teams trade down, I'm convinced the 1st 6 will be: 1 Lawrence, 2 Wilson, 3 Jones, 4 Pitts, 5 Sewell and 6 Chase. Those last 3 appear to be the consensus top 3 position players, and they fit needs. So assuming Guitar is correct that y'all aren't going QB, your value choice will be a Bama WR, Parsons or Slater, who can play T or G. Or trade down. Don't take a CB at 8.

Then the question is if Detroit, Carolina or Denver spend a high pick on a QB. What I think is going to happen is Fields and/or Lance will slip to double digits, and Belichick will pounce on his QB of the future and let him sit behind Cam for a while. And the rest of the league will come to rue the day.

Trask, other than Oklahoma game, looked pretty good last year. Maybe Pitts and then Trask if that is possible. OT is boring but essential.

Trask is 6’5 240. What is his downside?

Mac Jones missing dudes against no defense on deep balls is funny. Don’t draft.

A particular former Alabama quarterback and now tv announcer said Jones was trying to show off his arm strength, which allegedly isn’t great, thus no concern re: those overthrows. FWIW

Back