• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

Either Franklin has already inked deal and has mailed it in, he just mentally checked out and waiting for a better job, or he just isn’t that good of a coach as he thought and peaked a few years ago.

I've said it before, but mack and Pilch's posts made me think about it again...

Franklin leaving PSU for USC makes very little sense to me. It's almost like he's expecting something bad to happen at PSU and wants to get the F out of there ASAP. Or maybe he just realizes the run of success from 2016-19 isn't going to be replicated anytime soon.

PSU is 1-3 in their last 4 games and finish with two road games (@Rutgers and @Mich St). Could finish 6-6 after going 4-5 last year.

Why is he such a hot commodity?

I don't really get it from either perspective (USC nor Franklin)

This is where I am. Who at this point would really want Franklin? Plus doesn't he have like a $25 million buyout?

I doubt VT is in nearly as bad of recruiting shape as WF was at the end of the Grobe era. Year 3 is a fair starting point to evaluate Claw in his tenure here.

Ok that's fair.... So do you think VTech would be happy with five years and the highest win total being 8 wins? I don't think clawson survives that in Blacksburg. Hell Fuentes team will very likely be bowling this year after probably beating an Armstrong less Virginia team that got obliterated by notre dame that VTech should have beaten

And don't get me wrong. Love clawson but six win seasons are acceptable at wake. At Virginia tech they get you fired

Ok that's fair.... So do you think VTech would be happy with five years and the highest win total being 8 wins? I don't think clawson survives that in Blacksburg. Hell Fuentes team will very likely be bowling this year after probably beating an Armstrong less Virginia team that got obliterated by notre dame that VTech should have beaten

We were in horrid shape when Clawson got here, I don't think Tech is in anywhere near as bad a shape. I don't want him to go anywhere, but I'd bet on him having success a lot sooner at Tech then he did here.

Fuentes 2016-2021 ACC record 28-20
Clawson 2016-2021 ACC record 23-22

I'm sure clawson understands he has a job forever at wake. At Virginia tech he's a year away from being potentially fired with six or seven win years

We were in horrid shape when Clawson got here, I don't think Tech is in anywhere near as bad a shape. I don't want him to go anywhere, but I'd bet on him having success a lot sooner at Tech then he did here.

Yes that's why we threw out the first two years at wake under clawson. Even so, clawson takes his time building his program his way. There will be growing pains if he goes to tech and I'm certain the hokies won't be as patient as we have been

Fuentes 2016-2021 ACC record 28-20
Clawson 2016-2021 ACC record 23-22

I'm sure clawson understands he has a job forever at wake. At Virginia tech he's a year away from being potentially fired with six or seven win years

Not anywhere near an apples to apples comparison. I want Clawson to stay, but it's pretty foolish to just assume he would have similar record wherever else he could go.

Not anywhere near an apples to apples comparison. I want Clawson to stay, but it's pretty foolish to just assume he would have similar record wherever else he could go.

Agreed with this - we gotta take off black and gold sunglasses sometimes. At VT- you can get big linemen on both sides of the ball, faster linebackers, and taller DB’s. That’s the personnel deficiency we have right now and likely will have for foreseeable future unless we win 8-10 games consistently. While VPI is a good school, you aren’t going to get the kinda kids you would at ND, Penn State, Michigan, Stanford - even UVA- that want to study to some extent. The 4/5 guys you are going to be expected to get at VT are the guys from the 757 Tidewater who seem to heading to UNC to play for Mack Brown and Dre Bly. Is DC really the kinda coach who can/wants to get in a recruiting war with those 2? Maybe he is but I don’t think so. Think he is more likely to go to a school that recruits more talented players that in are in the wake mold.

Clawson is NOT going to Va Tech. What a ridiculous discussion. Absolutely NO WAY. Don't waste time on that guys, damn.

I've said it before, but mack and Pilch's posts made me think about it again...

Franklin leaving PSU for USC makes very little sense to me. It's almost like he's expecting something bad to happen at PSU and wants to get the F out of there ASAP. Or maybe he just realizes the run of success from 2016-19 isn't going to be replicated anytime soon.

PSU is 1-3 in their last 4 games and finish with two road games (@Rutgers and @Mich St). Could finish 6-6 after going 4-5 last year.

Why is he such a hot commodity?

I don't really get it from either perspective (USC nor Franklin)
And he is a huge dick.

VT is in a world of hurt. Got no coach. Portal filling up. Fans talking about stars when it's all changed. They are fucked right now. Be January before they could get Clawson. Heat is on. They can't wait.

And don't get me wrong. Love clawson but six win seasons are acceptable at wake. At Virginia tech they get you fired
You got this backwards. Clawson can win 6 at Wake next year and no one will speak of his firing. So when you really look at it, the Williams Grad would be fucking dumb as shit to go to VT.

I think Franklin really liked being the only minority coach at a top tier job in the country last few years. With Mel Tucker’s ascent - that’s been threatened a bit and he can’t play that card as much. I know they want to both be the first minority coach to win a natty and while Mel Tucker is hotter commodity at the moment - Franklin has had more consistent success. I would bet Franklin benefits most from Tucker’s new contract - either at PSU or at USC/LSU.

C'mon man. I doubt any Black coach likes being the "only" one.

I think Franklin really liked being the only minority coach at a top tier job in the country last few years. With Mel Tucker’s ascent - that’s been threatened a bit and he can’t play that card as much. I know they want to both be the first minority coach to win a natty and while Mel Tucker is hotter commodity at the moment - Franklin has had more consistent success. I would bet Franklin benefits most from Tucker’s new contract - either at PSU or at USC/LSU.
USC/ LSU. The alpha and omega of choices. Who can get their brain around this nonsense.

Wait, Franklin is black?

SparklingConstantAnemoneshrimp-max-1mb.gif

Back