• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Football Season

AT Perry was talking a lot about locker room chemistry in the post game.

That can get things up a notch or two. It may get a play like the running back who chased down an apparent pick 6, punched the ball out at the five, and then the QB was right there to pick up the loose ball. Those two efforts saved a touchdown.

When there is good locker room chemistry, those efforts are more likely to happen.

One of the players stopped by our tailgate after the game. He made immediate reference to all 5 ESPN guys picking FSU. Coaches leaned hard into that one...

One of the players stopped by our tailgate after the game. He made immediate reference to all 5 ESPN guys picking FSU. Coaches leaned hard into that one...

It was kind of funny. Bear on College Gameday picked us as one of his "Bear's Board" picks, but the Gameday guys and the guest picker all picked FSU. On the ACC network, all 4 guys picked us, including former FSU QB EJ Manuel. So, what does that tell you, the ones that probably did any real research picked us and the ones that just looked at the name on the jersey picked FSU.

As much as Norvell kept making the case that they were 2 plays away from being 2-0, I have to wonder if he heard about those picks and just rolled his eyes like, “Great, not what Wake needed 2 hrs before kickoff.”

It was kind of funny. Bear on College Gameday picked us as one of his "Bear's Board" picks, but the Gameday guys and the guest picker all picked FSU. On the ACC network, all 4 guys picked us, including former FSU QB EJ Manuel. So, what does that tell you, the ones that probably did any real research picked us and the ones that just looked at the name on the jersey picked FSU.

Considering their logic was "They've been awful for 2 games. What are the odds they'll be awful for 3? FSU WINS!" then you're going to be wrong more times than not. As one of the many Maya Angelou quotes during the broadcast: "When a team shows you they suck, believe them", or something like that.

Last edited:
As Aaron Curry tweeted, that's what happens when you pick games based on logos and legacies.

I think if we went undefeated there is a 90% chance we make the playoff. But it’s not a guarantee.

Disappointment is a function of expectation. Wake gets no respect. liveanddiedeac's scenario is not unrealistic. An undefeated Wake would make the top 10, but not the playoffs if there's an undefeated (or even 1 loss Bama), a 1 loss Georgia, undefeated Oregon, and then there's Penn State, Ohio State (yes, I know they've showed nothing but its all about logos and legacies) and maybe Oklahoma.

An undefeated Wake team would have wins over Clemson, UNC-CH, and the Coastal champion - maybe UNC-CH again. That would be the extent of the resume.

They would possibly be competing with undefeated conference champions including: Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn State/Michigan, Georgia/Alabama, and Cincinnati. If all of those teams were undefeated, I don't think Wake would get in. Now, that's not going to happen. If Wake goes undefeated, they will likely get in over a one-loss conference champion or runner-up.

The Cincy/ND game in two weeks will mercifully knock one of those teams out of the playoff race. The toughest game remaining on Cincy's schedule it at Tulane. Notre Dame plays Wisconsin this weekend and still has a few tough games left after that.

Sad to say but given the lack of respect Wake gets, even if a couple of those teams have a loss Wake doesn't get in. I takes more than one really good year to gain the kind of respect that can overcome the biases favoring those teams. JMO

For anybody watching the rankings this weekend, #22 Frenso State is losing at home to UNLV 21-16 on CBS Sports Network.

We're 14th among teams receiving votes. Liberty is 2nd and they lost to Cuse.

I think we have a decent shot of getting ranked with an impressive national TV win.

Last edited:
Good info. Liberty blew their shot to get ranked but we certainly didn’t. However Fresno did get the win.

Auburn at 23 will move up after beating Georgia State. UCLA at 24 is on the road vs Stanford, and 25 Kansas State plays at Oklahoma State.

21 UNC at Georgia Tech could be a decent game. But how many times have we seen a team nearly topple Clemson and then not have as much in the tank the next week.

For anybody watching the rankings this weekend, #22 Frenso State is losing at home to UNLV 21-16 on CBS Sports Network.

We're 14th among teams receiving votes. Liberty is 2nd and they lost to Cuse.

I think we have a decent shot of getting ranked with an impressive national TV win.

Fresno won 38-30, so no help there.

Narrative will be that UVA threw for lots of yards against Wake, just didn't score. Never mind that Wake's O was manhandling UVA's defense. Running and passing without a lot of resistance. And scoring seven times.

So I think a team like Oklahoma might pose some problems for the Deacs if the Sooners make the playoffs. I mean, we match up well against Alabama, but I'm more concerned about how we handle a QB like Rattler in the first round. Fingers crossed we get Penn or Ohio State.

Last edited:
Wake jumps 21 spots and ESPN FBI up to number 32 and now projecting us to win between 8 and 9 games.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Louisville inside linebacker Monty Montgomery will miss the remainder of the 2021 season due to a torn right ACL suffered in last week's game vs. UCF, the school announced Saturday ahead of their ACC opener at Florida State.33 mins ago

So I think a team like Oklahoma might pose some problems for the Deacs if the Sooners make the playoffs. I mean, we match up well against Alabama, but I'm more concerned about how we handle a QB like Rattler in the first round. Fingers crossed we get Penn or Ohio State.
dude I love this team too but nobody matches up well against Alabama

LOL. Pretty sure he was joking.

The broadcast for unc/GT just refered to the Deacs as "The Fighting Dave Clawson's"

The broadcast for unc/GT just refered to the Deacs as "The Fighting Dave Clawson's"

That was a good bit. They were talking about how Wake has the upper hand for a wide open ACC race.

Back