• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 MLB Season Thread

I went to the Giants sub to see how they're feeling about this and there are basically no takes along the lines of "wow, dodged a bullet with the physical". Universally it seems like the position is that the FO fucked this up somehow either by getting cold feet or by using something inconsequential from the physical to try to renegotiate the deal. There seemed to be very little faith in the FO before this, so they're all pissed.

I'm giving their fans the benefit of the doubt in believing one of these scenarios is the case because A) my vibe meter is high and B) I can empathize with this reality having lived through the Wilpons.
Yep I did the same. I would be livid too so I hope we/they get the real story.

The Mets luxury tax is larger than 16 MLB teams' payroll. Looking like the Mets payroll will be about $150 million more than the next closest team.

Verlander and Scherzer will be 40 and 39 next October. Can see the Mets pitching collapsing late season. They will need the Japanese pitcher, Senga, to live up to the hype (he supposedly throws over 100).

FWIW, there are rumblings that Cohen will not be outbid when Ohtani hits the FA market next season.

Honestly, I'd rather watch Uncle Steve dad dick all of these cheapskate owners with his spending and finish third in the division than have to listen to the Wilpons tell me a lineup relying on Eric Campbell and Kirk Nieuwenhuis can compete for the division. No idea if the spending will work, but at least he's putting his money where his mouth is and is doing what any of us would do if we had that cash and bought our childhood team.

Ultimately, this spending spree will be good for the game. It might result in a salary cap at some point down the road but the only way the MLBPA ever agrees to this is if there is a salary floor too. It's inexcusable that teams like the A's are trotting out a $40mm payroll and expecting fans to show up and pay $15 for a beer.

Good post. I think of all pro sports, MLB suffers the most from a weak players union. No other pro sports organization has six year rookie deals and such abhorrent minor league labor practices and pay scales.

Moneyball fucked the game up bad, now half the league wants to cheap their way to a title, forgetting how impossibly hard it is.

Good post. I think of all pro sports, MLB suffers the most from a weak players union. No other pro sports organization has six year rookie deals and such abhorrent minor league labor practices and pay scales.

Moneyball fucked the game up bad, now half the league wants to cheap their way to a title, forgetting how impossibly hard it is.
and it gives the GMs the chance to show how much smarter they are than everybody else which is really what they want to do to feed their enormous egos

FWIW, MLB is known as having the strongest union of all of the major sports. Over the last 30 years the MLBPA has always stayed the most unified when in labor disputes. Agree that the MLBPA has largely neglected the rights of minor league players. Until recently, the union was happy to throw the minor leaguers (and players subject to the MLB draft) under the bus to gain benefits for the richest players. This is largely because the union is most heavily influenced by the agents of the elite players as it is the elite players (e.g., Max Scherzer, Fransico Lindor) that hold the MLBPA leadership positions, and the elite players often don't share common interests with the rank and file players.

It doesn’t sound especially strong to me, given the above but I’ll grant you know what you’re talking about.

Now the Mets deal with Correa is in jeopardy because of his physical. Must be something legit wrong.

Phillies pick up a relief pitcher Gregory Soto and Kody Clemens for a few spare parts. Yes, Clemens is the son of Roger.

After deals were nixed with the Giants and Mets, it appears Carlos Correa is going back to the Twins -- 6 years $200 million.

After deals were nixed with the Giants and Mets, it appears Carlos Correa is going back to the Twins -- 6 years $200 million.

Wonder if they want to do a physical as well. Or maybe put some clauses related to the injury issue into the contract.

Wonder if they want to do a physical as well. Or maybe put some clauses related to the injury issue into the contract.
I don't think they are. Apparently the hang up with the Mets was that they guaranteed the first 6 years and insisted on language that would let them opt out of the final 6 years if his ankle went to shit and this was a non-starter for Correa/Boras. Higher AAV with the Twins deal for the 6 years. Makes me think Correa and Boras know that he's either going to have to move exclusively to DH in a few years or his career will be cut short by whatever this is.

At any rate, the first time he goes on the IL for any reason is going to be spicy.

Back