• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: wheelin & dealin

Back to back career highs in postseason strikeouts for the Phils. Just too amped I guess. Or you know, choking.

One of the Braves podcasts I listen to made the point the Phillies are built for October with their top heavy rotation and lineup. Indeed, they've been the better team by far for 22 of the 24 innings in this series. Very little hope to turn this thing around at this point. The bats have just fallen off a cliff. Basically need a 7 inning, 2 hit, 10 K performance from Strider tomorrow to get this thing back to ATL.
our 1/2 of strider/fried can go toe to toe with almost any rotation in the league and our offense was historic. not sure we're also not built for october.

Coming into the series, on paper, this was the toughest game to win. Not hitting in game 1 might be the downfall, but the Braves should be favored tomorrow.

When is the last time the Braves were in this situation and even won a game to extend the series? There have been lots of opportunities. The last time I remember the Braves facing elimination and then winning a postseason series was the 1996 NLCS. There have been plenty of chances. The time is now.

I just remembered the answer to my first question but I wish I had not.

Word now is that Arcia poked the bear with his snide dumb ass locker room remark for all to hear about Harper's base running and last out in Game 2.

Result was 2 bombs from Harper and 6 total. OOOPS!

Word now is that Arcia poked the bear with his snide dumb ass locker room remark for all to hear about Harper's base running and last out in Game 2.

Result was 2 bombs from Harper and 6 total. OOOPS!
That reporter is going to be blacklisted from all locker rooms. Arcia didn’t even know reporters were there and wasn’t saying it to the press.

Arcia thing is a non-story. I can't even believe I am saying this but only Ozzie is taking good ABs.

Twitker in the presser said he thought he could get 15 outs from Elder and he seemed annoyed to be asked about Tonkin and said that's the part of the game we use him. And of course he mixed a healthy dose of "really good"s in there. Thank god we got lucky in 21 and won in spite of him with our worst roster of this Division run.

I have my doubts we would have won that game either way, but allowing Elder to pitch to Harper was just idiotic. And not only that, but he gave Elder two more batters after the Harper HR! The entire plan was to use Elder on a short leash, and in the top of the third he gave up a bomb to Castellanos and then two singles. This wasn't an ace who Snitker reasonably could have faith in to bounce back, once he showed signs of giving up hits he should have been out of there.

The only reason I'm not more upset is that I would have probably chosen Hand to come in and pitch to Harper in the 3rd, and Hand gave up Harper's 2nd HR so maybe the outcome would have just been the same.

Can't blame him for what transpired with Wright and Morton's injuries and Elder's massive regression (not to mention Soroka and Anderson being non-options too), but AA not getting relief help at the deadline is still a mystery I will never understand.

They didn't use any of their 5 best relievers yesterday.
Yeah, because by the time Tonkin came out of the game it was already more or less over. Snit is just way too old school when it comes to bullpen management.

Look at what the Phillies did in Game 1: Suarez was dealing through three innings, but he got into a bit of a jam in the fourth. Rather than let him face more hitters for the second time, the Phillies pulled him and put one of their better relievers in the game right away. He got them out of it with no damage, and they went on to win the game.

Snit would never do that, he insists on putting guys like Tonkin into those early-game high-leverage spots or just leaving his SP in to figure it out. Which is fine when it's only 1 game out of 162 and you gotta manage your bullpen, but in the playoffs the only way guys like Tonkin should be pitching is when there's a 5+ run lead for either team.

In a vacuum, game 3 is the game I felt worst about coming into the series given the pitching situation, so it's no surprise we lost. But the problem is the way we are losing. We've been dominated for 25 of 27 innings; the offense is non-existent; we've become a strikeout team, etc. We need an absolute gem from Strider tonight, but instead I foresee more Harper bombs and the Phillies cruising. And that is quite sickening given how the rest of the bracket has played out for them to cruise to the WS.

Braves need to jump out to an early lead and help tamp down the crowd. Realize Suarez had a strong 3+ innings in game 1, but he has struggled all year. Time for the Braves to rake.

Back