• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Baseball - Schedule Released

Tough loss. State scored 11 runs on eight hits. Wake contributed nine walks and a hit batter to their offense. Hard to win when you put ten runners on base for your opponent.

Turning point was the last batter Keener faced. One run scored, two men on base and two outs. Keener got two quick strikes on fastballs and had the hitter set up to chase a breaking pitch or a change up. For some reason he threw three straight heaters off the plate. He then proceeded to throw a fastball down and in to a left handed hitter, an absolute no-no. Rocket down the line for a double to score two runs. I guess nobody in Wake Forest baseball ever watches MLB to learn the basics of pitching. Still shaking my head in disbelief. Bullpen then proceeded to give away runs. Bye-bye ballgame.

Play like we did today and rpi drops big---with our bullpen no way we beat miami unless lowder pitches 9 innings----probably will save lowder for ncaa if we make it

Assuming we're not a lock yet for NCAA, why wouldn't we throw our ace vs Miami (8 days rest) and again on June 3 (7 days rest)? What am I missing?

Assuming we're not a lock yet for NCAA, why wouldn't we throw our ace vs Miami (8 days rest) and again on June 3 (7 days rest)? What am I missing?

agreed, you aren't missing anything. Need a win over Miami (I think we are in, but just in case and for seeding, play to win) and that leaves plenty of time to recover.

So if we sit Lowder and get blown out by the U...we're still a lock?

Yes. The game could possibly elevate us to a 2 seed vs a 3 but that’s not a huge difference. Would rather be a 3 in a winnable region than a 2 in Knoxville. Pretty meaningless game on Friday.

So if we sit Lowder and get blown out by the U...we're still a lock?

i believe the stat was no acc team with a winning conference record has ever not made the tourney, and the acc is strong this year plus we have phenomenal ooc peformance.

WF's RPI is #13. Last year the best RPI of a team left out was over 40. WF is a NCAAT lock.

I don't really understand the justification for pool play as it sits. 4 teams many times get a bye when the conference division ratings are often divided by just one game or even less. And the first loss knocks teams out? Is this set up really equitable?

Last edited:
Keeping a pitcher's arm fresh and sharp is probably more important than letting him wait 15 days in between starts for an extremely meaningful game.

Keeping a pitcher's arm fresh and sharp is probably more important than letting him wait 15 days in between starts for an extremely meaningful game.

Yeah, this is where I am. Don't send him out there to throw 120 pitches, but it is probably a good idea to get him some work (maybe give the other weekend starters an inning or two as well)

Pitt beats UL. Tune in tomorrow to watch the meaningless GT - UL exhibition game! And the meaningless VT - Clemson exhibition game!

Yeah, this is where I am. Don't send him out there to throw 120 pitches, but it is probably a good idea to get him some work (maybe give the other weekend starters an inning or two as well)

Pitt beats UL. Tune in tomorrow to watch the meaningless GT - UL exhibition game! And the meaningless VT - Clemson exhibition game!

Pitt advances to the Semis. They had the most work to do to get an NCAA bid. They are now two wins away from taking it out of the committee's hands and possibly stealing a bid.

If Pitt wins the title, does this lessen our chances for a bid?

Maryland won the Big 10 regular season, and they are somehow #3 in RPI. They will likely host a subregional. Guessing an ACC team will be the two seed there. Could see WF sliding into that spot. If WF can't host (and we likely lost that chance yesterday), wouldn't mind the Deacs playing at MD with the chance to advance to the super-regional.

what is homefield advantage worth on a neutral field? (meaning, the ability to bat last at a tournament site, not impacted by familiarity with the home "field" or any travel). 52% - 48%?

NC State gets that advantage tonight over Miami in the game which will determine a semifinalist.

FSU, who got swept by UNC to end the regular season, currently destroying UVA 9-0, mid 4th

Pitt and NCSU both got to be home teams in elimination games despite being the lower seed

FSU gets the same advantage today in the one game of the day that matters, vs Notre Dame.

Higher-seeded teams are 1-5 so far in Charlotte.

Back