• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Carolina Panthers thread - Panthers welcome RB Rashaad Penny

Who knew Dan Morgan had a guard fetish?

Damien Lewis has given up 10 sacks in 3,600 career snaps

Gonna be tough to blame Ickey’s struggles on guard play now

I actually like this. Everything starts with O Line. This is a put up or shut up year for Icky now that we’ve signed two guards. He has nowhere to move. I hope he shows a lot of improvement.

sounds like they are going to move Austin Corbett to center and let Brady Christensen be the swing tackle according to Joe Person. If people stay healthy (big if), then panthers have actually improved the OL in a big way. In theory at least.

Would love to get Powers-Johnson in the draft

If Ladd McConkey falls to the second round, that’s our guy.

I was furious when first hearing the Burns news, but after sleeping on it, would rather get something than take on that contract.

Can't wrap my head around letting Luvu go, dude was a stud at LB, diamond in the rough we found. That one is malpractice IMO

I was furious when first hearing the Burns news, but after sleeping on it, would rather get something than take on that contract.

Can't wrap my head around letting Luvu go, dude was a stud at LB, diamond in the rough we found. That one is malpractice IMO

He didn't want to stay, not much you can do about that

Flipping Burns for Tee Higgins wouldn't be the worst end result

If Ladd McConkey falls to the second round, that’s our guy.
Agree. Ran a sub 4.4 at the combine if I recall correctly and had a great Senior Bowl week. He'll be a 1st down machine. Same with Pearsall from UF. I like that they're trying to fix the OL 1st and foremost and get Young the offensive help he needs. As for Higgins, not sure if Cincy is considering a trade. Higgins doesn't have any leverage at all. He has to have a good season for his next contract, and they're in SB mode and probably want to keep him. But if they're considering a trade, he'll cost at least a 2, and his average salary will be in the mid-high $20s.

ESPN isn't super high on the trade nor signings:

Burns:
Panthers Grade F
Perhaps more critically, Carolina fans were anchored to the idea that return on a Burns trade would look like what the Rams had offered two years ago. When the newish regime led by Dan Morgan finally decided to trade Burns on Monday, the actual return felt like a punch in the stomach. The Panthers failed to land a single first-round pick from the Giants in the deal, instead picking up second- and fifth-round picks. When country music stars are calling you out for your trade returns, something has gone wrong.

Robert Hunt:
Panthers Grade C-
This is the first set of numbers that made me literally say, "Wow!" Even in a strong guard market I did not see $20 million per year for Hunt coming
In paying Hunt at this level Carolina has deemed him a truly elite guard. After adjusting for salary cap inflation this puts him at the same realm as deals signed by Elgton Jenkins (2022), Brandon Scherff (2022) and Zack Martin (2018 and 2023), according to historical contracts from OverTheCap. And I don't see it.
Over the past three years, Hunt's pass block win rate has been almost exactly average for a guard at 92% and was below average at 90% in 2023. Run block win rate tells a similar story -- his numbers have been average for the position over the past three years. Now, I'll recognize our numbers aren't gospel and clearly others like Hunt more, as PFF ranked him sixth among guards with a career-best 76.4 grade and my colleague Matt Bowen ranked Hunt fifth among free agents this year.

Granted after how low this organization is these days, I'm guessing the cats will have to overpay anyone to come play there. Truly sad times for panthers fans...

Back