• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Pearl seems like such an obviously more successful fit at uk than drew. Hurley probably wins wherever, but falling backwards into Bruce Pearl is a pretty fortunate situation.

oh shit...sounds like Drew is out

damn, i guess my sauce is slow with the info.

There is but one answer here... And it is staring UK right in the face.

rick-pitino-kentucky.gif

But yeah, it feels like Bruce Pearl.

I don't see why Donovan would even consider it. Same goes for Hurley.

Oats and Drew said no.

Underwood seems underwhelming.

Pitino probably too old at 71.

Pearl seems like a good guy to bring in for 5+ years and then when he retires you can make a more long-term hire then. I don't think you get 5 years out of Pitino.

Pearl seems like such an obviously more successful fit at uk than drew. Hurley probably wins wherever, but falling backwards into Bruce Pearl is a pretty fortunate situation.
Bruce Pearl would say no, I’m almost certain. I think it’s Chris Beard or Shaka Smart.

Gotta be honest though, I thought Nate Oats or Drew were pretty safe bets.

Beard would take the job in a heartbeat, I think.

I honestly don't think Shaka would do it. He has a style and it works at Marquette.

You have to find a coach that: isn’t intimidated by the pressure of the fanbase, willing to be a celebrity, family isn’t completely rooted in their current community, is willing to basically give up their life to recruit non-stop, and believes they can achieve more at UK than at their current school. Hiring Cal from Memphis was basically the perfect scenario for Kentucky. Very unlikely they would have ever found the perfect candidate like that again.

Yeah, but this time around they can go with coaches that are at their current jobs solely because of scandal/violations and have a decent list:

Chris Beard
Rick Pitino
Sean Miller
Will Wade

Does Bruce Pearl fit that?

Yeah, but this time around they can go with coaches that are at their current jobs solely because of scandal/violations and have a decent list:

Chris Beard
Rick Pitino
Sean Miller
Will Wade

Does Bruce Pearl fit that?
Well, he did have a show cause after coaching UT, but it was mostly for recruiting stuff that isnt a no-no anymore

Bruce Pearl would say no, I’m almost certain. I think it’s Chris Beard or Shaka Smart.

Gotta be honest though, I thought Nate Oats or Drew were pretty safe bets.
Shaka walked away from Texas because he was getting roasted by their fan base for underachieving, why would he willingly take the UK job?

wow - Pearl has been at Auburn for 10 seasons, doesn't seem that long

How about someone from the Coach Cal coaching tree?

Kenny Payne?
Orlando Antigua?
Bruiser Flint?
Tony Barbee?
Derek Kellogg?
Josh Pastner?

I don't see why Donovan would even consider it.
i think he would consider it if he has any evidence he's on pretty shaky ground in chicago

they've underwhelmed throughout his time here, though some of it is bad injury luck and bad roster construction, but the GM is under pressure to do something

not sure Billy D would get another NBA head coaching job if it doesn't work out with the bulls

or maybe he's done with college altogether, who knows

My thought is he's done with college. And I also don't think he'd be interested in UK specifically given the Pitino relationship.

It's also been a decade since he coached at UF. Seems like a risky hire. Things have changed in the college game.

But I could be dead wrong.

Back