• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

But I think the KY players get out of their LOIs automatically with the coaching change

But I think the KY players get out of their LOIs automatically with the coaching change
Oh, I actually really like that rule if it is one.

Makes perfect sense to me. These kids are committing to a coach much more than a program as they likely don't give a shit about what laundry they are wearing.

Oh, I actually really like that rule if it is one.

Makes perfect sense to me. These kids are committing to a coach much more than a program as they likely don't give a shit about what laundry they are wearing.
Pretty sure the 23-24 class is the first one it applies to

A colleague is friends with some higher ups at UK including one of the members of the committee that hired Cal. He thought Donovan was the main target. With Oats turning them down, it could get ugly.

A colleague is friends with some higher ups at UK including one of the members of the committee that hired Cal. He thought Donovan was the main target. With Oats turning them down, it could get ugly.
I wonder if Cal will try to stay (or if UK will get him to stay) if Oats and all of their other main targets turn them down. That would have to be a major blow to UK's pride if top coaching candidates won't consider going there. I would guess that many top coaching candidates don't want the pressure, even with the money.

The problem is that the UK model is so busted in this current landscape. The one-and-done model is no longer proven to be a winner for post-season success. So you're basically coming into UK and reinventing everything that's been done the last 15 years. Yeah, you'll have financial support and the UK name. But it's almost a rebuilding job when you think about it. What is a new coaching going to do? Just make a habit of getting the top upper class transfers every year? It's a program built on sending the best talent to the NBA as quickly as possible. It's going to be a hard screeching stop to the Calipari method.

So you have to sign up for that and then learn to live with the crazy fan expectations, and they won't be very patient.

Guys like Hurley and Oats already have their model in place and can keep working that without fans getting pissed off.

The story I heard is that the AD told Cal he was going to need to change the recruiting strategy for precisely the reason MichDeac has identified. Cal did not take that mandate well.

Which is why I don’t understand how Arkansas thinks things will be any different.

They’ll get some recruiting and regular season glory and I guess they’re banking on that being worth it

Hurley doesn't seem like he'd even pick up the phone

The problem is that the UK model is so busted in this current landscape. The one-and-done model is no longer proven to be a winner for post-season success. So you're basically coming into UK and reinventing everything that's been done the last 15 years. Yeah, you'll have financial support and the UK name. But it's almost a rebuilding job when you think about it. What is a new coaching going to do? Just make a habit of getting the top upper class transfers every year? It's a program built on sending the best talent to the NBA as quickly as possible. It's going to be a hard screeching stop to the Calipari method.

So you have to sign up for that and then learn to live with the crazy fan expectations, and they won't be very patient.

Guys like Hurley and Oats already have their model in place and can keep working that without fans getting pissed off.
It’s not the Kentucky model as much as the Calipari model. No reason to think Kentucky would have any barriers other than geography to be a top portal destination. You have tons of resources and and obvious path to the tournament every year. Issue is whether expectations match reality.

I wonder if Cal will try to stay (or if UK will get him to stay) if Oats and all of their other main targets turn them down. That would have to be a major blow to UK's pride if top coaching candidates won't consider going there. I would guess that many top coaching candidates don't want the pressure, even with the money.

This is a brewing rumor

I have been told Oats said no...

This is a brewing rumor
However, if reports are true that Cal spoke to AR without letting his AD know, it violates the contract and they can fire him for cause.
I dont see any way he is welcomed back. Money talks and with Cal in house, there is no money

if they fire him for cause then they don't have to pay him the buyout, but wouldn't that also let Arkansas off the hook for paying UK anything?

Back