• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

We’ve matched high salaries before when we think it’s the right move. I don’t see why a football first school with more pressure where you have to live in Alabama is exponentially better than a basketball first school in a basketball first state where there is less pressure and you know you’re on the cusp of something. I don’t think Auburns going after him either by the way.
That’s almost always the wrong move. I love Forbes and think he will continue to improve the program. However if Auburn wants to double his salary, take the buyout money and go get new energy with a guy like Bucky and keep moving on.

That’s almost always the wrong move. I love Forbes and think he will continue to improve the program. However if Auburn wants to double his salary, take the buyout money and go get new energy with a guy like Bucky and keep moving on.
I actually agree with this but think it was the right move for Skip. I’m looking at this from the Forbes perspective.

It's interesting that many of the same posters who believe "Wake is a shitty job" also believe that a coach who hasn't made in the NCAA tourney at Wake after 3 seasons is a failure.

Ogboards logic remains undefeated

It's interesting that many of the same posters who believe "Wake is a shitty job" also believe that a coach who hasn't made in the NCAA tourney at Wake after 3 seasons is a failure.

Ogboards logic remains undefeated
Are you under the impression that only “good job” schools make the tournament? Some of you having rock bottom standards for the coaching staff doesn’t make my assessment of our program any less sound.

Last edited:
Pearl to UK makes more sense to me than Scott Drew. The UK fans would love his personality and enthusiasm. And Pearl has that fire to beat other certain schools (UT) and coaches. The Calipari/Pearl rivalry would be must see tv if it happened.

What exactly makes Auburn a must take job for Forbes? I disagree on this “Wake is a shitty job” take.
I'm not saying Wake is a shitty job. I am saying that there is some obvious concern with his lack of NCAAT appearances. Contract extension aside (other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?), he is going to have a hot seat if he doesn't make the tourney next year. At Auburn, he would get the same or more money and a longer leash.

I'm not saying Wake is a shitty job. I am saying that there is some obvious concern with his lack of NCAAT appearances. Contract extension aside (other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?), he is going to have a hot seat if he doesn't make the tourney next year. At Auburn, he would get the same or more money and a longer leash.
That actually makes sense. Sorry- I thought you were in the “every job is better than Wake” crowd.

BTW, when raising the possibility that Forbes might be on Auburn's list if Pearl goes to UK, was just musing that he could be on Auburn's list. Not that he is a lock to get an Auburn offer or that he would be a lock to take it. Agree with Sig that if Auburn did offer, the reason Forbes might be interested in that job is money (money is always the first answer) and like any coach taking a new job, he is going to get more runway then at a job that he has held for four years.

FWIW, if the Auburn job is open, they would be idiots to not give the job to Bucky. He came from the Alabama HS coaching ranks, they play an exciting brand of basketball (which is close to Pearl's style), and as an Alabama native, he might be inclined to stay at Auburn for a long time even if he wins big there. Also, agree with the notion that if Auburn did go after and hire Forbes, as much as I like Forbes, would be fine if WF replaced Forbes with Bucky. I am 100% on-board the Bucky Bandwagon.

Last edited:
Are you under the impression that only “good job” schools make the tournament? Some of you having rock bottom standards for the coaching staff doesn’t make my assessment of our program any less sound.

No - I'm under the impression that churning coaches every 4 years at a "shitty job" school might not be the best strategy if the goal is to build a consistent program that plays in the NCAA Tourney more years than not

We’ve matched high salaries before when we think it’s the right move. I don’t see why a football first school with more pressure where you have to live in Alabama is exponentially better than a basketball first school in a basketball first state where there is less pressure and you know you’re on the cusp of something. I don’t think Auburns going after him either by the way.

Is Wake still considered a basketball first school?

BTW, when raising the possibility that Forbes might be on Auburn's list if Pearl goes to UK, was just musing that he could be on Auburn's list. Not that he is a lock to get an Auburn offer or that he would be a lock to take it. Agree with Sig that if Auburn did offer, the reason Forbes might be interested in that job is money (money is always the first answer) and like any coach taking a new job, he is going to get more runway then at a job that he has held for four years.

FWIW, if the Auburn job is open, they would be idiots to not give the job to Bucky. He came from the Alabama HS coaching ranks, they play an exciting brand of basketball (which is close to Pearl's style), and as an Alabama native, he might be inclined to stay at Auburn for a long time even if he wins big there. Also, agree with the notion that if Auburn did go after and hire Forbes, as much as I like Forbes, would be fine if WF replaced Forbes with Bucky. I am 100% on-board the Bucky Bandwagon. T
Closer to his Destin condo too

No - I'm under the impression that churning coaches every 4 years at a "shitty job" school might not be the best strategy if the goal is to build a consistent program that plays in the NCAA Tourney more years than not
Where’s the data showing that a coach who doesn’t make the tournament in the first 3-4 seasons of their tenure is likely to build a consistently successful program with a longer timeline? We aren’t. Every year we miss the tournament makes us less and less relevant.

What your mindset/strategy says about our athletics program is that we have lower expectations, and aren’t as concerned about competing as our peer institutions. We aren’t an Ivy League school, so the notion that we are somehow above the impertinence of coaching churn is ridiculous.

Where’s the data showing that a coach who doesn’t make the tournament in the first 3-4 seasons of their tenure is likely to build a consistently successful program with a longer timeline? We aren’t. Every year we miss the tournament makes us less and less relevant.

What your mindset/strategy says about our athletics program is that we have lower expectations, and aren’t as concerned about competing as our peer institutions. We aren’t an Ivy League school, so the notion that we are somehow above the impertinence of coaching churn is ridiculous.

Took Hurley until Year 3 to make the tourney and then he got bounced in the first round each of the next 2 years as a 5 & 7.

Took Sampson until Year 4 at Houston.

Took Pearl until Year 4 at Auburn.

Took Barnes until Year 3 at Tennessee.

And that was me just looking at the Top 5 in KP this season... Painter was the other one, but he's been at Purdue for almost 20 years now.

Scott Drew
Steve Pikiell
Leonard Hamilton
Tony Bennett
Kelvin Sampson

All coaches who missed the first 3-4 years and turned out pretty succesful.

Back