• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

You can add Coach K and Jay Wright to that list. Idiotic to give up on a coach that early.

Took Hurley until Year 3 to make the tourney and then he got bounced in the first round each of the next 2 years as a 5 & 7.

Took Sampson until Year 4 at Houston.

Took Pearl until Year 4 at Auburn.

Took Barnes until Year 3 at Tennessee.

And that was me just looking at the Top 5 in KP this season... Painter was the other one, but he's been at Purdue for almost 20 years now.
all of those coaches had multiple deep runs in the tournament at their previous programs, they were all well established winners before.

Forbes also didn't get a chance to make a tournament run in 2020 due to COVID - might have bounced in the first round again, but he also might have won a few games. Impossible to know.

You can add Coach K and Jay Wright to that list. Idiotic to give up on a coach that early.
What’s idiotic is to pick out a bunch of exceptions and poor comparisons, especially considering all of you were obviously on board with us firing the previous 3 coaches we had rather than give them longer tenures to prove themselves.

Where’s the data showing that a coach who doesn’t make the tournament in the first 3-4 seasons of their tenure is likely to build a consistently successful program with a longer timeline? We aren’t. Every year we miss the tournament makes us less and less relevant.

What your mindset/strategy says about our athletics program is that we have lower expectations, and aren’t as concerned about competing as our peer institutions. We aren’t an Ivy League school, so the notion that we are somehow above the impertinence of coaching churn is ridiculous.
well dan hurley did miss the tournament his first 2 years at uconn

Per athleticdirectoru.com the median basketball head coaching tenure in the ACC since 2014 is 4.3 years, and that is the 5th longest among the conferences.

Kelvin Sampson missed the NCAA tournament each of his first six years in his first power conference job at Washington State.

It's interesting that many of the same posters who believe "Wake is a shitty job" also believe that a coach who hasn't made in the NCAA tourney at Wake after 3 seasons is a failure.

Ogboards logic remains undefeated
Wake can be a worse job than Auburn, currently, and also not a shitty job.

Kelvin Sampson missed the NCAA tournament each of his first six years in his first power conference job at Washington State.
Many people who win the lottery have never purchased a ticket before - anecdotes are fun.

Sports Illustrated published research in 2015 that over the 5 year period of research 59% of D-1 head coaches had debuted during that period. There is constant turnover in head coaching at the highest level.

Wake can be a worse job than Auburn, currently, and also not a shitty job.

images

There is constant turnover in head coaching at the highest level.
yeah, and some programs constantly suck because of said turnover.
What’s idiotic is to pick out a bunch of exceptions and poor comparisons, especially considering all of you were obviously on board with us firing the previous 3 coaches we had rather than give them longer tenures to prove themselves.
if you honestly think there is a legitimate comparison to be made between [Redacted]'s first four years at WFU and those of Steve Forbes, (and to make that comparison IN THE SAME SENTENCE as chastising people for "poor comparisons"!!) then there is absolutely no point in engaging with you further

Saw where Cal's $7M annual contract with Arkansas is structured as follows:

• 500k - Base salary from university
  • 6.5M - Funded by Razorback Foundation

No - I'm under the impression that churning coaches every 4 years at a "shitty job" school might not be the best strategy if the goal is to build a consistent program that plays in the NCAA Tourney more years than not
I actually disagree with this pretty strongly in the current landscape - and even more so when the big/sec NWO takes effect. NIL gives a really good outlet for buyout dollars. The more resourced programs probably have no problem buying out contracts for coaches they want. Get he reputation like vcu had a for a minute a a great coaching incubator.

For example, if auburn bought out forbes's contract at say $3M (probably on the low side, but I have no clue), then hire a guy like Bucky for the same (or less) than you were paying Forbes annually. Give said new energetic coach that $3M to invest in the portal this year.

[Redacted]'s first four years at WFU and those of Steve Forbes, (and to make that comparison IN THE SAME SENTENCE as chastising people for "poor comparisons"!!) then there is absolutely no point in engaging with you further
I’ve made it very clear that I don’t view the handful of wins between 15 and 20 per season as very meaningful. No tournament is no tournament. When I look back on my fandom of Wake Basketball I’m not going to fucking reminisce about that year we had a few good games in January but didn’t even get an NIT bid. No, with the passage of time that shit is going to blend right in with [redacted] and Mannings tenure.

Back