• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

People are thinking wake can still host something wake is working its way out of the tournament. Wake has one pitcher. And what is more likely for a Wake team, to follow up a college world series appearance with another great year, or begin the season ranked number 1 and not even make the tournament.
Again hope I am wrong, but I would take making the tournament, because next year they wont get benefit of reputation. That is the only reason they are ranked now.

It's worth pointing out that a year ago Burns couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. And now he's a Friday starter and likely all American, in spite of toiling I'm the 80Deacon Memorial Pitching Lab.

Hartle will be fine.
Agree with the first part. I see nothing to suggest that the last sentence is true, sadly.

People are thinking wake can still host something wake is working its way out of the tournament. Wake has one pitcher. And what is more likely for a Wake team, to follow up a college world series appearance with another great year, or begin the season ranked number 1 and not even make the tournament.
Again hope I am wrong, but I would take making the tournament, because next year they wont get benefit of reputation. That is the only reason they are ranked now.

The RPI numbers have nothing to do with reputation and we’ve been ranked in line with them all season

What is your definition of "talent for Omaha"?

The #1 preseason ranking definitely set the expectations much higher than the returning talent level could support. No argument there.

But imo this squad has played largely shitty baseball (outside of a few brief stretches) yet still has a Top 20 RPI with a Top 10 SOS.

Definitely nowhere near Top 5 talent but this squad also should not be grinding just to host a regional.

I think you just answered your own question of me. Odd. But, whatever.

The SOS and RPI, which are based solely on what has happened on the field, and nothing at all of reputation disagree with you strongly.

fwiw, eric alder was so bad a few years ago he stopped dressing for games and speculation about him needing to return for his senior year to redeem himself was also common but he ended up getting drafted in the 6th round and signing.

fwiw, eric alder was so bad a few years ago he stopped dressing for games and speculation about him needing to return for his senior year to redeem himself was also common but he ended up getting drafted in the 6th round and signing.
I believe he is now with the Dash.

Adler is the Dash closer. He is 5 for 5 in save opportunities and has yet to give up a run on the season. Would think he's getting close to a promotion to AA.

I don’t want to say stats and results don’t matter at all for draft positioning, but that’s not the only thing MLB teams are watching. There is zero chance Hartle will return next year.

I guess I'm just not really sure what MLB scouts see at him. He sits at like 92 mph with spotty command this year. I get that he's tall and a lefty, but is that really enough?

I agree Hartle has really dropped this year and that will affect his draft position compared to last year and as a hs senior. Command can be fixed not saying he will but I think there is enough upside he’ll be drafted. He may have lost draft position compared to HS but I’m assuming he will have a wake forest degree and still get some pro money. How he fares in the mlb is anyone’s guess but it could be getting the degree was a pretty good idea.

For pitchers in particular, stats are among the last things that MLB teams look at when doing their evaluations.

They will (and probably already have) broken down of Hartle's pitching data (spin rate, velo, break profile, among other things) to see if and how much he has regressed. If they feel like Hartle's struggles are the result of a combination of bad luck, bad defense and othter factors beyond his control(or if MLB teams think that with a tweak here and there, his prior form will return), Hartle's draft stock won't take a huge hit. OTOH, if the pitching data reveals that he's become just an average college pitcher, Hartle's draft stock will take a hit, but all it takes is one team to think that they have the solution to get Hartle out of his funk for Hartle to go high in the draft.

This WF baseball season has been such a bummer. Yes, the team is talented. Yes, there is still time for WF baseball to play at the predicted level, but there are some really negative foreboding signs about this team. We are now 2.5 months into the season, and we are getting to the point that's it's not just a bad stretch, but this team is just revealing itself as not special:

• Josh Hartle: 8 ACC starts; in only one has Hartle pitched more than 5 innings and given up less than 2 earned runs; WF has only won two of Hartle's 8 ACC starts, and in one of those wins, Hartle gave up 7 earned runs in six innings; in his other win, Hartle didn't make it out of the fifth inning. Right now, when WF does manage to win a Hartle start, it is in spite of him.
  • Michael Massey: Massey was a force in 2023. An unreal 76 Ks in 41 innings; 16 scoreless outings; dominated eventual national champ LSU in Omaha; the plan to convert Massey into a starter made sense; he has dominant stuff; it would help Massey's draft stock to prove he can get stretched out, and it would help WF win key weekend baseball games. This just hasn't happened. Even though Massey doesn't pitch in midweek games, he has thrown more than 3 innings in one of his seven ACC starts... WTF?... If Massey can only give WF three innings max in a game, he should return to the role where he dominated last year, as a multiple inning reliever. I know Massey missed time in March, with an injury, but that was six weeks ago. At this point, Massey has started game 3 in the last six ACC series, and he still struggles to get to the 4th inning. It's to the point, where it would seem to make more sense to use Massey to relieve in key spots; at least he could impact two games a week.
  • The offense has regressed. When WF swept VT, the WF offense was hitting on all cylinders, and it looked like WF was going to start bludgeoning opponents, but some key guys have been skidding:
    • Adam Tellier: last 12 games 12 for 49; 0 HRs
    • Jack Winnay: 3 for his last 29; 0 HRs
    • Javar Williams 1 for his last 17
    • To be fair, it's not just these three, the point is the offense is trending in the wrong direction from multipe angles.
Still hope to see a turn-around, but time is running out, and there is a lot that needs to be fixed.

Is it unrealistic to think Hartle and/or Massey return next season? Unless they figure things out quick would their draft slot pay more than NIL and the potential to get things figured out/get healthy/ get a degree? I know seniors have less leverage but is this idea completely crazy?
Idk. Can only put so much weight into projections, because who knows what each team interprets when they see them. But Hartle and Massey are still first/fringe first on a few recent reports I've read.

If that is the case, they'd be silly to come back.

Massey pitched into the 8th inning twice as a true freshman at Tulane - even with his injury, it's tough to reconcile that against him going 3 innings per outing this year

outside of a few starts a while ago when he was recovering from his hamstring injury, massey is getting pulled because he's been pitching like crap, not because he's tired or his stuff is fading.

moving massey to the pen might be a good move -- but the normal logic you would use hasn't been there. it's not like his stuff is diminished or he's hitting a wall the second or third time through the opposing order -- he's been off from the beginning of games, mostly due to poor command. i don't think there's much evidence that he would magically regain last year's form if he moved to the bullpen. you could argue his stuff would be even better if he went all out coming out of the pen, but stuff hasn't been his problem.

For pitchers in particular, stats are among the last things that MLB teams look at when doing their evaluations.

They will (and probably already have) broken down of Hartle's pitching data (spin rate, velo, break profile, among other things) to see if and how much he has regressed. If they feel like Hartle's struggles are the result of a combination of bad luck, bad defense and othter factors beyond his control(or if MLB teams think that with a tweak here and there, his prior form will return), Hartle's draft stock won't take a huge hit. OTOH, if the pitching data reveals that he's become just an average college pitcher, Hartle's draft stock will take a hit, but all it takes is one team to think that they have the solution to get Hartle out of his funk for Hartle to go high in the draft.

This WF baseball season has been such a bummer. Yes, the team is talented. Yes, there is still time for WF baseball to play at the predicted level, but there are some really negative foreboding signs about this team. We are now 2.5 months into the season, and we are getting to the point that's it's not just a bad stretch, but this team is just revealing itself as not special:

• Josh Hartle: 8 ACC starts; in only one has Hartle pitched more than 5 innings and given up less than 2 earned runs; WF has only won two of Hartle's 8 ACC starts, and in one of those wins, Hartle gave up 7 earned runs in six innings; in his other win, Hartle didn't make it out of the fifth inning. Right now, when WF does manage to win a Hartle start, it is in spite of him.
  • Michael Massey: Massey was a force in 2023. An unreal 76 Ks in 41 innings; 16 scoreless outings; dominated eventual national champ LSU in Omaha; the plan to convert Massey into a starter made sense; he has dominant stuff; it would help Massey's draft stock to prove he can get stretched out, and it would help WF win key weekend baseball games. This just hasn't happened. Even though Massey doesn't pitch in midweek games, he has thrown more than 3 innings in one of his seven ACC starts... WTF?... If Massey can only give WF three innings max in a game, he should return to the role where he dominated last year, as a multiple inning reliever. I know Massey missed time in March, with an injury, but that was six weeks ago. At this point, Massey has started game 3 in the last six ACC series, and he still struggles to get to the 4th inning. It's to the point, where it would seem to make more sense to use Massey to relieve in key spots; at least he could impact two games a week.
  • The offense has regressed. When WF swept VT, the WF offense was hitting on all cylinders, and it looked like WF was going to start bludgeoning opponents, but some key guys have been skidding:
    • Adam Tellier: last 12 games 12 for 49; 0 HRs
    • Jack Winnay: 3 for his last 29; 0 HRs
    • Javar Williams 1 for his last 17
    • To be fair, it's not just these three, the point is the offense is trending in the wrong direction from multipe angles.
Still hope to see a turn-around, but time is running out, and there is a lot that needs to be fixed.
Seems like the lab needs a deep cleaning - Wuhan level stuff here.

Back